The Student Room Group

A level Biology and chemistry, A/A* students

How do you revise, what are your methods to getting these grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The-judge-16
How do you revise, what are your methods to getting these grades?

I’m currently predicted an A* in Chemistry and Biology and this is just what I do.

So I usually start with making notes that are typically typed up after each lesson, or sometimes I make them ahead, so when the teacher teaches it in lesson, I’m already aware of the topic and it’s more of a recap.

I also refer to the specification a lot. A Levels (especially Biology) are very specific and when making notes etc, you need to ensure you’ve got all the information.
I then make flashcards based on that certain topic, condensing everything and making sure it’s relevant to the specification

Another thing that I tend to do is that I always do topic tests after making notes and learning them. This gives me an understanding of what area of the topics I’m weak on. Making myself aware of what to pay attention on and what to revise over again

Organisation is key too
I keep everything in specific subject folders in specific dividers for each topic. It helps to have everything condensed neatly on one page in my folder and in a few flashcards.

Also I use up my free’s. And always use them for revising and making notes etc. Ngl, there are times when I do mess around with friends.
Original post by Sumayyah.Akhtar
I’m currently predicted an A* in Chemistry and Biology and this is just what I do.

So I usually start with making notes that are typically typed up after each lesson, or sometimes I make them ahead, so when the teacher teaches it in lesson, I’m already aware of the topic and it’s more of a recap.

I also refer to the specification a lot. A Levels (especially Biology) are very specific and when making notes etc, you need to ensure you’ve got all the information.
I then make flashcards based on that certain topic, condensing everything and making sure it’s relevant to the specification

Another thing that I tend to do is that I always do topic tests after making notes and learning them. This gives me an understanding of what area of the topics I’m weak on. Making myself aware of what to pay attention on and what to revise over again

Organisation is key too
I keep everything in specific subject folders in specific dividers for each topic. It helps to have everything condensed neatly on one page in my folder and in a few flashcards.

Also I use up my free’s. And always use them for revising and making notes etc. Ngl, there are times when I do mess around with friends.

Do you do OCR A Biology?
Reply 3

Organisation is key too

I do exactly the same. I make notes, then summarise into flash cards (only for biology, not for chemistry)and then I do every subtopic test on physics and maths tutor. And then I mark each paper and highlight each question with (green for answered well, orange for inaccurate wording and red for completely wrong) I then revisit the red once a week, the orange once a fortnight and the green once a month.
Original post by _jbello.10
Do you do OCR A Biology?

Nope. AQA
Original post by bixol
I do exactly the same. I make notes, then summarise into flash cards (only for biology, not for chemistry)and then I do every subtopic test on physics and maths tutor. And then I mark each paper and highlight each question with (green for answered well, orange for inaccurate wording and red for completely wrong) I then revisit the red once a week, the orange once a fortnight and the green once a month.

When would you go back on your flashcards and how often
Original post by bixol

Ayyy. May I ask, what have you applied for in university?
Reply 7
When would you go back on your flashcards and how often

Not much. Usually just the process of making them is enough to not forget. But I do revisit my notes more frequently.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Ayyy. May I ask, what have you applied for in university?

Medicine. Hby?

Hi, i'm in y11 and was told by teachers that chem on its own is pretty useless, i thought it'll open doors but thats only the case if there is another science with it, is this true? is chem interesting an fun btw, what about biology? thnks
Original post by bixol
Medicine. Hby?

Dentistry haha
Original post by hallaluliah
Hi, i'm in y11 and was told by teachers that chem on its own is pretty useless, i thought it'll open doors but thats only the case if there is another science with it, is this true? is chem interesting an fun btw, what about biology? thnks

I don’t believe it’s particularly useless on its own. But in terms of university etc, it would be best to have another science alongside. But that’s if you are thinking of studying something of the science field.

I’m currently finding chemistry quite fun and easy to absorb with the right amount of revision. However I really dislike organic.
And as for biology, it’s my favourite a level and much more interesting than gcse biology, and the content is easy so absorb, however the issue with it is the exams and the specificity of the mark schemes. Which is why it’s one of the hardest exams of all three of my a levels, yet has the easiest content.
If you really enjoy both, I would suggest you to take them especially if you want to get into a science based course in the future. :smile:
I don’t believe it’s particularly useless on its own. But in terms of university etc, it would be best to have another science alongside. But that’s if you are thinking of studying something of the science field.

I’m currently finding chemistry quite fun and easy to absorb with the right amount of revision. However I really dislike organic.
And as for biology, it’s my favourite a level and much more interesting than gcse biology, and the content is easy so absorb, however the issue with it is the exams and the specificity of the mark schemes. Which is why it’s one of the hardest exams of all three of my a levels, yet has the easiest content.
If you really enjoy both, I would suggest you to take them especially if you want to get into a science based course in the future. :smile:

ty, but the thing is that i don't know what i wanna do, i just chose chem just in case i wanna do something sciency, however am told that its better to put another science with it but i don't want to do another science lol
Original post by hallaluliah
ty, but the thing is that i don't know what i wanna do, i just chose chem just in case i wanna do something sciency, however am told that its better to put another science with it but i don't want to do another science lol

Most science based subjects in university do prefer to have another science alongside. However that is quite a broad assumption as it really does depend on what course etc.
What other a levels are you thinking of taking?
hey guys so basically I am applying for medicine and need 3As minimum (or AAB for KMMS, but I really want to go Birmingham so AAA)
Maths I can confidently say I can get an A in, Chemistry is okay and manageable, but Biology is the WORST. I can revise for topic tests and get Cs.

The markscheme is SOOOO specific I find it borderline impossible to get full marks in like 4 mark questions and I end up getting 2 out of 3 or 2/4 for every question. Anyone have advice on how to tackle the markscheme? I do OCR A Biology btw
Most science based subjects in university do prefer to have another science alongside. However that is quite a broad assumption as it really does depend on what course etc.
What other a levels are you thinking of taking?

economics, geography and maths, been told to do FM but idk if i can do it lol
hey guys so basically I am applying for medicine and need 3As minimum (or AAB for KMMS, but I really want to go Birmingham so AAA)
Maths I can confidently say I can get an A in, Chemistry is okay and manageable, but Biology is the WORST. I can revise for topic tests and get Cs.

The markscheme is SOOOO specific I find it borderline impossible to get full marks in like 4 mark questions and I end up getting 2 out of 3 or 2/4 for every question. Anyone have advice on how to tackle the markscheme? I do OCR A Biology btw

For Biology. Do test papers and then use the mark scheme to highlight the areas you’re weak on. See what you got wrong and why. Was it use of terminology? Or just not understanding how to go about the question etc.
And from there, you can improve.

As for the extremely picky mark schemes, print them out (after doing your tests) and look through them, revise them. Make your notes relevant to the mark schemes (for example include correct terminology that the mark scheme wants in your notes).
I don’t do ocr, however you can apply what I’m saying to your exam board.

I do OCR A too and I think the only way to cope is remember everyones in the same boat hahahahah no but on a serious note just do loads of past paper questions (use physics and maths tutor if you don’t already) and just get used to trying to identify what mark schemes are after by doing the papers and marking them
For Biology. Do test papers and then use the mark scheme to highlight the areas you’re weak on. See what you got wrong and why. Was it use of terminology? Or just not understanding how to go about the question etc.
And from there, you can improve.

As for the extremely picky mark schemes, print them out (after doing your tests) and look through them, revise them. Make your notes relevant to the mark schemes (for example include correct terminology that the mark scheme wants in your notes).
I don’t do ocr, however you can apply what I’m saying to your exam board.

Did you use other sites for past papers than physicsandmathstutor? Or would you say that is sufficient
Reply 19

I do the same exam board for bio aswell. And I can completely relate, I hate biology mark schemes. But here’s what to do for the big markets. Say a 4+ mark question asks “describe and explain the process of DNA replication” I would make flash cards based on the answer on the mark scheme. I’d recommend doing this for all the subtopic tests on the physics and maths tutor website. By the time you’ve done all the subtopic papers and summed the big markers into those flash cards, you’re prepared to tackle any question they throw at you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending