The Student Room Group

Tories order councils to fly union jack on Prince Andrew's birthday

Multiple media are reporting that the Tory minister for Housing has circulated an email to local authorities ordering them to fly the flag for Prince Andrew's birthday on 19th Feb.

The message was sent by civil servant Matt Stevenson private secretary to Dame Melanie Dawes, 53, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

It's quite stunning and more than a bit sick that the authorities are so immune to self-reflection when it comes to the royal family.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Multiple media are reporting that the Tory minister for Housing has circulated an email to local authorities ordering them to fly the flag for Prince Andrew's birthday on 19th Feb.

The message was sent by civil servant Matt Stevenson private secretary to Dame Melanie Dawes, 53, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

It's quite stunning and more than a bit sick that the authorities are so immune to self-reflection when it comes to the royal family.

Ahem. The same applies every year, for all the monarch's children. And this will just be a reminder of the law. Other Royals are available.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/designated-days-for-union-flag-flying
Original post by Good bloke
Ahem. The same applies every year, for all the monarch's children. And this will just be a reminder of the law. Other Royals are available.

I'm sure they are, but given that he's been dropped from all royal activities and given what we know has gone on, isn't this something that should have been thought about by government a little harder?

What's happening is either a robotic unquestioning insistence on protocol, or something more sinister - a desire by the state to brush what has been revealed under the carpet and pretend all is well.
isn't this something that should have been thought about by government a little harder?

Isn't it something that should be thought about by the public a bit harder?

given what we know has gone on

I know nothing. Many people opine and assume but they also know nothing.
Reply 4

You're forgetting that Fos has been gifted a special righteous vision that anything she thinks to be true actually is and can therefore never be questioned.

Yes but the goalposts have moved.

Ever since that interview, all I can picture in my mind is an embarrassing sleazy over privileged rather stupid middle aged scum bag.

I used to be an ardent royalist. He has changed my and I suspect many others opinion of the royal family

*shrug* innocent till proven, no matter how much you want to mutter 'guilty as hell'
"it's just protocol"

Probably best to ditch that protocol then rather than celebrate the birthday of a child molester.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Ever since that interview, all I can picture in my mind is an embarrassing sleazy over privileged rather stupid middle aged scum bag.

He'd been on TV before that surely? :tongue:
Original post by Drewski
You're forgetting that Fos has been gifted a special righteous vision that anything she thinks to be true actually is and can therefore never be questioned.

You're welcome to question me Drewski and you hardly ever fail to do so.
Original post by StriderHort
He'd been on TV before that surely? :tongue:

He appeared briefly in the 'Charles and Jimmy' love-in when Prince Charles took Jimmy Savile to his place in Scotland and they did some hunting, shooting and fishing together. It was all so touching.

Noncesense!
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Yes but the goalposts have moved.

I used to be an ardent royalist. He has changed my and I suspect many others opinion of the royal family

National protocol is not yet ruled by the twitterati.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Probably best to ditch that protocol then rather than celebrate the birthday of a child molester.

Says the person who advocates ruining children's lives in the name of gender politics.
First off I'm just about as anti royal as they get, I'm all for modernising the outdated traditions and entitlements in this country, so let's get that straight from the off.

However, its the inconsistenies that I struggle with, @Fullofsurprises is such a staunch supporter of traditions when it suits, so quick to cry "racism" at almost everything. Example I'll give is John Bercow's (lack of) peerage. So are you up for keeping traditions or arnt you?

I dont think its right for the government to order local councils to do anything like this. As for Prince Andrew he must be innocent until proven guilty. We simply cannot allow a mob rule judiciary, that's a very toxic thing to do. I fear his blue blood is protecting him, that's what's really wrong, the man should face trial if there's a case of not let him live his life.

One rule for the rich and powerful, another for the rest of us.
"it's just protocol"

:hmmmm: I wonder if yourself confessed hatred of Britian, has influenced this post?
Original post by Burton Bridge
First off I'm just about as anti royal as they get, I'm all for modernising the outdated traditions and entitlements in this country, so let's get that straight from the off.

However, its the inconsistenies that I struggle with, @Fullofsurprises is such a staunch supporter of traditions when it suits, so quick to cry "racism" at almost everything. Example I'll give is John Bercow's (lack of) peerage. So are you up for keeping traditions or arnt you?

I dont think its right for the government to order local councils to do anything like this. As for Prince Andrew he must be innocent until proven guilty. We simply cannot allow a mob rule judiciary, that's a very toxic thing to do. I fear his blue blood is protecting him, that's what's really wrong, the man should face trial if there's a case of not let him live his life.

I don't see it as inconsistent - I'm in favour of moral approaches to public life and I'm against underhand and malicious behaviour. The latter is what characterises both of the things you mention - the Johnson administration is almost sick with spite and petty hostility to those who opposed Brexit and even those who tried to simply support a democratic approach to Parliamentary handling of it, which is what Bercow did. This circular to local authorities is plainly a sneaky and underhand establishment campaign step in the Rehab of Andrew. They expect us to fall for it and get in line.
Original post by Burton Bridge
:hmmmm: I wonder if yourself confessed hatred of Britian, has influenced this post?

I mean it's more that there shouldn't be a state-sanctioned celebration of a kiddy-fiddler but sure. Also, I don't hate Britain, I hate the English. Huge difference and the fact that you conflate the two so easily is a big indicator as to why no-one likes the English.
I don't hate Britain, I hate the English. Huge difference and the fact that you conflate the two so easily is a big indicator as to why no-one likes the English.

Hmm. Most people think it is OK to criticise or hate an ideology or an institution but that hating people for where they were born is racist. You seem to have turned that rationality on its head.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending