The Student Room Group

Change of circumstances

I enrolled my first year in October 2017.on my second year I took a leave of absence,therefore I started in April 2019(instead of October2018).I applied for Student Finance and only half of the normsl Manteinance Loan was approved due to the fact that my Uni did not informed of my intake change.I have reapplied for Student Finance,this time the whole amount was approved for me,but payments are not released until Uni confirms.I spoke to my Uni and they don't want to admit that they've made a mistake,and they can't solve my problem.What can I do??
Original post by Mannajone
I enrolled my first year in October 2017.on my second year I took a leave of absence,therefore I started in April 2019(instead of October2018).I applied for Student Finance and only half of the normsl Manteinance Loan was approved due to the fact that my Uni did not informed of my intake change.I have reapplied for Student Finance,this time the whole amount was approved for me,but payments are not released until Uni confirms.I spoke to my Uni and they don't want to admit that they've made a mistake,and they can't solve my problem.What can I do??

Your post is unclear.
Please confirm a timeline of events.

1. You enrolled at X university and started in Oct 2017- July 2018. Year 1 completed.
2. You didnt start 2nd year till 2019 because you too a LOA and started in a different intake. April 19- March 2020. You say you only received half the money for this period?
3. You reapplied for which period? The one covered in 2, but which concerns the changed intake after LOA in 2?

Talk to admissions or your department and get them to confirm you are no longer on an October- Simmer cycle, but one that starts in April to whenever that academic year ends. It is not controversial it is a question of fact. I cant see why they wouldnt confirm this, nothing to do with a mistake. Imo it is your job to notify student finance of changes in your course.
I cant see why your department or admissions would have any issue with confirming this, just ask them.

Talk to your tutor or advisor in SU if you have an issue.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Your post is unclear.
Please confirm a timeline of events.

1. You enrolled at X university and started in Oct 2017- July 2018. Year 1 completed.
2. You didnt start 2nd year till 2019 because you too a LOA and started in a different intake. April 19- March 2020. You say you only received half the money for this period?
3. You reapplied for which period? The one covered in 2, but which concerns the changed intake after LOA in 2?

Talk to admissions or your department and get them to confirm you are no longer on an October- Simmer cycle, but one that starts in April to whenever that academic year ends. It is not controversial it is a question of fact. I cant see why they wouldnt confirm this, nothing to do with a mistake. Imo it is your job to notify student finance of changes in your course.
I cant see why your department or admissions would have any issue with confirming this, just ask them.

Talk to your tutor or advisor in SU if you have an issue.

Thank you for the reply.
Although I started year 2 in April 2019,my Uni has kept me in records as October intake.So when I applied for 2018-2019 for Student Finance,my Uni did not confirmed any intake,or couse duration changes.Also they asked a tuition fee of only 75% of normal fee.Thats why in the eyes of Finance team I was only going to study until Augus 2019(normal date of ending year for October intake).
What I did was to reapply for Student Finance for 2019-2020 year 2 student April intake,because I am still in the duration of my Course untill end of this month.The application was approved,but payment it is not released until Uni confirms attendance and registration.
I talked to Student Admin and the say they can not confirm,because in the records I am still for October.and that I should register for year 3 from now,February 2020(without having any vacation) or wait untill October 2020,neither of this options seems fair to me.I don't know who else to talk to..
Thank you for the reply.
Although I started year 2 in April 2019,my Uni has kept me in records as October intake.So when I applied for 2018-2019 for Student Finance,my Uni did not confirmed any intake,or couse duration changes.Also they asked a tuition fee of only 75% of normal fee.Thats why in the eyes of Finance team I was only going to study until Augus 2019(normal date of ending year for October intake).
What I did was to reapply for Student Finance for 2019-2020 year 2 student April intake,because I am still in the duration of my Course untill end of this month.The application was approved,but payment it is not released until Uni confirms attendance and registration.
I talked to Student Admin and the say they can not confirm,because in the records I am still for October.and that I should register for year 3 from now,February 2020(without having any vacation) or wait untill October 2020,neither of this options seems fair to me.I don't know who else to talk to..

Sorry am finding it difficult to understand your explanation. I nearly get it but not quite,
You will be better going to see an advisor at the SU and make three timelines, one of which contains the events as the uni sees it, one as what SFE understand it and one in which you understand to be the situation.

Actually I read it again and think I understand it.

1. Uni kept you as October to summer intake.
2. You suspended.
3. Uni records were still Oct intake.
4. You came back and in your mind restarted uni for the opposing intake. April.
5.As the uni didnt change records then as far as they are concerned it was and remains October, but you are now on an April- start academic cycle.

1. You either suspended or you did not.
2. You were either paid for Oct or not? I am assuming not.
3. Your suspension was official and you have evidence.
4. Get a letter of confirmation from your department confirming you had suspended studies and switched to the April intake. Your department and or tutror can confirm this.
5. Take the letter to student admin or talk to them and confirm that is sufficient for them to amend their records. Imo its your responsibility to have sorted this out.
6. If they wont amend, then talk to the information commissioners office about right to rectification, that is changing inaccurate records.
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-rectification/
7. Then go back to admin and explain what ICO said as well as department.
https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/helpline
8. If they still wont listen then make an official complaint using the complaint procedure of your uni which should be on the website. Someone independent will look at the evidence and make a decision, which if you win will force them to change the record and then you cna send the amended version to student finance.

That is how I would solve it.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry am finding it difficult to understand your explanation. I nearly get it but not quite,
You will be better going to see an advisor at the SU and make three timelines, one of which contains the events as the uni sees it, one as what SFE understand it and one in which you understand to be the situation.

Actually I read it again and think I understand it.

1. Uni kept you as October to summer intake.
2. You suspended.
3. Uni records were still Oct intake.
4. You came back and in your mind restarted uni for the opposing intake. April.
5.As the uni didnt change records then as far as they are concerned it was and remains October, but you are now on an April- start academic cycle.

1. You either suspended or you did not.
2. You were either paid for Oct or not? I am assuming not.
3. Your suspension was official and you have evidence.
4. Get a letter of confirmation from your department confirming you had suspended studies and switched to the April intake. Your department and or tutror can confirm this.
5. Take the letter to student admin or talk to them and confirm that is sufficient for them to amend their records. Imo its your responsibility to have sorted this out.
6. If they wont amend, then talk to the information commissioners office about right to rectification, that is changing inaccurate records.
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-rectification/
7. Then go back to admin and explain what ICO said as well as department.
https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/helpline
8. If they still wont listen then make an official complaint using the complaint procedure of your uni which should be on the website. Someone independent will look at the evidence and make a decision, which if you win will force them to change the record and then you cna send the amended version to student finance.

That is how I would solve it.

I will do all you have said.Hopefully it will be sorted.Thank you
Reply 5
I will do all you have said.Hopefully it will be sorted.Thank you

This is the answer I received from Student Admin as a solution for my issue.I am confused and don't know if I should accept or not.please advise.

"Hi Mariana,

I understand that after your conversations with student finance you believe that they are happy for you to be funded as an April intake student, but this is not true and our student financial guide advisor who has contacted student finance regarding your case is very clear on this.

To enable you to get your full funding we are eligible for, we propose the following:

You enrol now as a October 2019/0 student, but not as if you have progressed into year 3, but rather as repeating modules from year 2. This will enable the University to claim the remaining 25% of your fees we didn’t claim in 2018/9 during the time you were on leave of absence. You will receive full funding (not prorated) for the following term dates, even though you will actually now be on break until May:

Term 1 28-Oct-19 to 10-Jan-20

Term 2 10-Feb-20 to 08-May-20

Term 3 11-May-20 to 21-Aug-20

You can return to studies if you wish in May 2020 for year 3, but you will have no funding from August until the next academic year in November 2020, when you re-enrol for 2020/1. We will claim full tuition fees for your third year of studies in the 2020/21 academic year and we will put you on an academic leave of absence from January 2021 until August 2021, but you will be able to receive payments. This means you will not be able to get your certificate until the official end date of your programme.

Alternatively, you can choose to not start classes until October 2020 anyway, so that your year 3 classes coincide with your funding.

This way, you will get your payments as soon as possible for 2019/0 and receive another full year of funding for 2020/21, to make up for the lost funding in 2018/9.

To do this, you need to let me know if you are happy with this, I will then roll over your record to enrol for 2019/0 and we will confirm your attendance with SLC as soon as possible.

Happy to talk this over on Monday."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending