The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

uni of nottingham or sheffield for mechanical engineering?

I know this question has been asked a hundred times but I have some quite specific things I was hoping to hear about for the universities. I have my offers in now and I've decided it will come down to these two, but I'm struggling to decide even after visiting both of them twice.
I absolutely love the atmosphere of Nottingham and the campus etc and the course looks absolutely ideal and can really see myself enjoying the facilities, but I have learning disabilities and fairly severe mental health problems (better than they used to be but still a worry), and it seems as if the student support might not be great at Nottingham while it looks really very good and thorough at Sheffield. Also, even though this isn't reason in itself to choose it, I love the accommodation at Sheffield with Endcliffe village, and at Nottingham it seems you have to choose between having a communal, central feel or being in nice, modern accommodation.
Sorry I know this is quite a long question but it would be really useful if anyone had any experience or advice they could offer me that relates in any way, whether it's for or against either uni :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I know this question has been asked a hundred times but I have some quite specific things I was hoping to hear about for the universities. I have my offers in now and I've decided it will come down to these two, but I'm struggling to decide even after visiting both of them twice.
I absolutely love the atmosphere of Nottingham and the campus etc and the course looks absolutely ideal and can really see myself enjoying the facilities, but I have learning disabilities and fairly severe mental health problems (better than they used to be but still a worry), and it seems as if the student support might not be great at Nottingham while it looks really very good and thorough at Sheffield. Also, even though this isn't reason in itself to choose it, I love the accommodation at Sheffield with Endcliffe village, and at Nottingham it seems you have to choose between having a communal, central feel or being in nice, modern accommodation.
Sorry I know this is quite a long question but it would be really useful if anyone had any experience or advice they could offer me that relates in any way, whether it's for or against either uni :smile:

I can’t comment on Sheffield, however I’m currently studying at Nottingham and I love it. I have severe mental heath problems as well as a ADHD and the support is actually really good. Before I even arrived at halls the head of Halls had emailed me asking for a private meeting to discuss my support and what’s available, and to let me know I can always contact them. The university has their own government DSA support section on site so you don’t have to travel ages for an appointment at a normal DSA clinic, as well as indevidual mental health and support sections in every single course building and their own psychiatrists and qualified nurses at the health center on site (mine gave me her personal number and said to call her any time I needed anything or felt down or mentally sick)
(edited 4 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I’m at Sheffield, studying Mechatronics and Robotics engineering but I’m currently on a leave of absence due to mental health issues. But I was in the Endcliffe village and although it’s a nice place to live, the walk to University was inconvenient at times. Not that it’s very far, but it would take an average person about 30-40 minutes to get from there to the diamond, obviously depends how fast you walk. Which meant when I had like 1-2 hours between lectures I couldn’t return to my flat and I would just hang around until then, this didn’t help with my anxiety and other issues but of course this may not be an issue for you. So I’m going into city accommodation when I return so I’ll be close to the uni which is going to be great as I can return and not stress as much if I’m running late.

In regards to the support side, they have a mental health service where you can get counselling and support whilst at uni and it’s much quicker to be seen than the NHS counsellors. They’re really good for support, each department has a welfare person and the one for ASCE is so nice, she’s really helpful and actually tries to help you when you’re struggling with your degree and tries to help get solutions to your problems. I had issues with my flatmates and instead of saying deal with it, she contacted the accommodation service and discussed possible arrangements for me to solve it. I’m not sure if it would be the same person for you because I don’t know what mechanical engineerings department will be classed as, but if they’re all as nice as her you’ll be fine talking to them. In student accom on you also get students coming to visit you regularly who as part of the Resident life team and they check up on you, ask if you have any issues or want to talk about something etc.

If you have any other questions about sheffield university just message me, I’m happy to help
Reply 3
Original post by TheOnlyIzzy
I can’t comment on Sheffield, however I’m currently studying at Nottingham and I love it. I have severe mental heath problems as well as a ADHD and the support is actually really good. Before I even arrived at halls the head of Halls had emailed me asking for a private meeting to discuss my support and what’s available, and to let me know I can always contact them. The university has their own government DSA support section on site so you don’t have to travel ages for an appointment at a normal DSA clinic, as well as indevidual mental health and support sections in every single course building and their own psychiatrists and qualified nurses at the health center on site (mine gave me her personal number and said to call her any time I needed anything or felt down or mentally sick)

Thank you that's actually really encouraging to hear! I'm glad it worked out for you. Do you mind me asking which halls you were in or at least if it was catered or not?
Reply 4
Original post by Paypurr
I’m at Sheffield, studying Mechatronics and Robotics engineering but I’m currently on a leave of absence due to mental health issues. But I was in the Endcliffe village and although it’s a nice place to live, the walk to University was inconvenient at times. Not that it’s very far, but it would take an average person about 30-40 minutes to get from there to the diamond, obviously depends how fast you walk. Which meant when I had like 1-2 hours between lectures I couldn’t return to my flat and I would just hang around until then, this didn’t help with my anxiety and other issues but of course this may not be an issue for you. So I’m going into city accommodation when I return so I’ll be close to the uni which is going to be great as I can return and not stress as much if I’m running late.

In regards to the support side, they have a mental health service where you can get counselling and support whilst at uni and it’s much quicker to be seen than the NHS counsellors. They’re really good for support, each department has a welfare person and the one for ASCE is so nice, she’s really helpful and actually tries to help you when you’re struggling with your degree and tries to help get solutions to your problems. I had issues with my flatmates and instead of saying deal with it, she contacted the accommodation service and discussed possible arrangements for me to solve it. I’m not sure if it would be the same person for you because I don’t know what mechanical engineerings department will be classed as, but if they’re all as nice as her you’ll be fine talking to them. In student accom on you also get students coming to visit you regularly who as part of the Resident life team and they check up on you, ask if you have any issues or want to talk about something etc.

If you have any other questions about sheffield university just message me, I’m happy to help

Thanks so much, it's useful to hear that perhaps I'm overestimating Endcliffe especially given the distance. Again I got a really got impression from the student support and it's good to hear you've found that to be the case. I suppose it's just trying to weigh up how much better it would be than Nottingham's.
Thank you that's actually really encouraging to hear! I'm glad it worked out for you. Do you mind me asking which halls you were in or at least if it was catered or not?

So I was in Rutland, catered. The way the Halls are so all of the catered ones are on “university park” which is the main campus. It talks about “zones” but the zones are about 5 meters apart so literally nothing.

All the uncatered halls (e.g Albion) are in Beeston. It’s about a 30 minute walk or 5 minute bus/tram journey, but still very inconvenient.

All catered halls are more like a hotel, in long corridors, but uncatered halls are flats of 5-9.

I would defo recommend getting catered halls on university park, it’s less than a 5 minute walk to lectures. The nicest two are Cripps and Hugh Stuwart.

If you have any other questions about Nottingham feel free to ask!!
Reply 6
So I was in Rutland, catered. The way the Halls are so all of the catered ones are on “university park” which is the main campus. It talks about “zones” but the zones are about 5 meters apart so literally nothing.

All the uncatered halls (e.g Albion) are in Beeston. It’s about a 30 minute walk or 5 minute bus/tram journey, but still very inconvenient.

All catered halls are more like a hotel, in long corridors, but uncatered halls are flats of 5-9.

I would defo recommend getting catered halls on university park, it’s less than a 5 minute walk to lectures. The nicest two are Cripps and Hugh Stuwart.

If you have any other questions about Nottingham feel free to ask!!

Thanks so much, sorry it''s taken me a while to reply! I think I've settled on Nottingham now and am thinking about accomodation. I'm not sure which room type you stayed in but I'm thinking of staying in a shared study room but can't find much information about them anywhere. Do you know anyone who's stayed in one that you've visited?
Thanks so much, sorry it''s taken me a while to reply! I think I've settled on Nottingham now and am thinking about accomodation. I'm not sure which room type you stayed in but I'm thinking of staying in a shared study room but can't find much information about them anywhere. Do you know anyone who's stayed in one that you've visited?

There’s only one shared study room on each corridor (at least it mine) and they have a small study room connected to two small bedrooms. However because of this is it is the most social place and everyone hangs there, so it depends how social you are
I imagine both are great
There’s only one shared study room on each corridor (at least it mine) and they have a small study room connected to two small bedrooms. However because of this is it is the most social place and everyone hangs there, so it depends how social you are

thank you that is definitely interesting to know, i think that would work really well for me, when i saw the pictures i thought it would be great for pres haha. i know you probably don’t really remember or didn’t really notice, but you don’t happen to know if the separate bedrooms have their own locks so you can lock the bedroom within the study room do you? also do you know if every shared study room has it’s own sink or if that’s hit and miss like with the single studies?
Original post by Lucy._.R
thank you that is definitely interesting to know, i think that would work really well for me, when i saw the pictures i thought it would be great for pres haha. i know you probably don’t really remember or didn’t really notice, but you don’t happen to know if the separate bedrooms have their own locks so you can lock the bedroom within the study room do you? also do you know if every shared study room has it’s own sink or if that’s hit and miss like with the single studies?

I believe they do have their own locks, as well on one on the outside. I’m not sure about sinks but every room is usually garunteed to have one, they don’t have one in their work area but I’ve never been inside their rooms so it could be in there, our normal rooms all have one
I believe they do have their own locks, as well on one on the outside. I’m not sure about sinks but every room is usually garunteed to have one, they don’t have one in their work area but I’ve never been inside their rooms so it could be in there, our normal rooms all have one

ah thanks so much that’s actually so helpful. i feel like that would be really good for me as long as it’s not too overwhelmingly full of people all the time and as long as i actually get some work done because there’s always people in my study room haha
Reply 12
If we have our offers are we meant to be choosing accommodation or something?
Original post by MT100 0
If we have our offers are we meant to be choosing accommodation or something?

if you have all your offers back then on ucas you can select your firm and insurance choices and it’ll then tell you how to apply for accommodation once it’s open for your firm uni. if you haven’t chosen which ones to accept yet then no not yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending