The Student Room Group

Would you be annoyed in this situation?

I’m at uni right now and I’m always broke because my student loan just covers my rent, my family can’t afford to give me money and I can’t get a job because I keep getting rejected and it’s hard with my degree(law). So the only person I can rlly rely on is my sister as She earns quite a bit and still lives with my parents so she doesn’t pay rent or anything so she just keeps all her salary, but I sTill only ask her when I NEED to because she’s really tight with giving money. It’s my birthday and I asked her to buy me these festival tickets because I never get to do much because I never have money, even for my birthday I dunno if I’ll do anything because I’m broke and all my friends r getting these tickets so I asked her for them for my birthday because she’s just been paid. Long story short, she said no because she wants to buy these expensive concert tickets but I know that even if she pays for my tickets she will still have a lot of money left, but obviously it’s still her money so I can’t really be angry but I can’t help it, she knows I don’t have anyone else to turn to and I’m only asking because it’s for my bday. I even said I’d try and take some shifts at one of my old zero hour contract jobs and pay her back and I might be getting bursary but she wasn’t having it. Now I’m just depressed because the tickets drop at 8am and all my friends are buying tickets and I can’t even go so I’ll miss out majorly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ignore person above. Perhaps you could suggest to your parents that they charge your sister rent so they can then help you out and contribute their bit of your maintainence payment.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m at uni right now and I’m always broke because my student loan just covers my rent, my family can’t afford to give me money and I can’t get a job because I keep getting rejected and it’s hard with my degree(law). So the only person I can rlly rely on is my sister as She earns quite a bit and still lives with my parents so she doesn’t pay rent or anything so she just keeps all her salary, but I sTill only ask her when I NEED to because she’s really tight with giving money. It’s my birthday and I asked her to buy me these festival tickets because I never get to do much because I never have money, even for my birthday I dunno if I’ll do anything because I’m broke and all my friends r getting these tickets so I asked her for them for my birthday because she’s just been paid. Long story short, she said no because she wants to buy these expensive concert tickets but I know that even if she pays for my tickets she will still have a lot of money left, but obviously it’s still her money so I can’t really be angry but I can’t help it, she knows I don’t have anyone else to turn to and I’m only asking because it’s for my bday. I even said I’d try and take some shifts at one of my old zero hour contract jobs and pay her back and I might be getting bursary but she wasn’t having it. Now I’m just depressed because the tickets drop at 8am and all my friends are buying tickets and I can’t even go so I’ll miss out majorly.

You need to cut your coat according to your cloth. This means if you can't afford to buy something, don't buy it.

My parents were a bit scary, and I would never dare to ask them for money for such luxuries.
You’re an adult and it isn’t her job to look after you. You sound about 13.
You are moaning because your sister who works hard refuses to give you money to spend on festival tickets?

They are festival tickets not essentials. If you were starving I would understand, but get a job, even if it is only a few days or hours a week.
Really no. Sadly no one owes us anything. Its great if someone choses to give us stuff. But no expectations. So you'll miss a festival, but I'm sure your degree will give you plenty of opportunities in the future. You could join a voluntary group that helps out at festivals, useful activity + good social situation + free entry. Bonus!
Original post by Dee-Emma
Really no. Sadly no one owes us anything. Its great if someone choses to give us stuff. But no expectations. So you'll miss a festival, but I'm sure your degree will give you plenty of opportunities in the future. You could join a voluntary group that helps out at festivals, useful activity + good social situation + free entry. Bonus!

That's a great idea!
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
You’re an adult and it isn’t her job to look after you. You sound about 13.

thanks for the advice I guess, no need to be rude I just wanted other opinions about it. I already said I realise it’s her money and she’s not entitled.
Reply 8
Original post by Dee-Emma

I’m not sure if I’ll be joining a voluntary group like that anytime soon with the path my degree takes me in.
Reply 9
Original post by Oxford Mum
You need to cut your coat according to your cloth. This means if you can't afford to buy something, don't buy it.

My parents were a bit scary, and I would never dare to ask them for money for such luxuries.

I get this trust me I always have this mentality, I just wanted this one thing for my birthday.
Original post by tashkent46
You are moaning because your sister who works hard refuses to give you money to spend on festival tickets?

They are festival tickets not essentials. If you were starving I would understand, but get a job, even if it is only a few days or hours a week.

I know they aren’t essential, did I ever say in my post that they were? And it’s not that easy to just get a job, I’ve been applying for ages and constantly get rejected.

Your sister owes you nothing, and I feel sorry for her having a sibling who only thinks of her as a milch cow. What do you do for her to make her feel you appreciate having a sister?

I am afraid I agree with the others. Your sister does not have to buy you festival tickets - it would have been nice if she did, but it is her money.

When you are earning there will still be festivals.

You could try doing some teaching - presume you have English - teaching kids. 11 plus teaching. Sell stuff on eBay. Surely you can get a bar job or a waitering job.
Not a nice sister. Your parents have spoiled her, she should pay her way at home, rent etc. *****
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Surely you can get a bar job or a waitering job.

Also, if at all possible, try to leave out the bit about studying law. Most people hate lawyers. I'd certainly think twice about hiring someone doing law.

You don't really need to buy things that you can't afford or ask somebody else to buy it for you. Regardless if it is your birthday or not. Just try focusing on getting a job first then once you have it, you can buy anything that you want.

Is clear that your sister can afford the tickets but she doesn't want to give you money. So don't ask her again. Just stop asking help from people, I used to that when I was younger as I was immature but now I stopped.

Try to sell some of your old clothes online (clothes that you no longer want ofc)
Or start a youtube channel. In a year from now you will have at least 1k in your account from youtube.

Just don't get an actual job. START a youtube channel.

How old are you? How much is the ticket?

Quick Reply

Latest