The Student Room Group

Rejected for dentistry. Help!

hi, as you read from the title, i have been rejected for dentistry by kings, bristol, plymouth, and manchester. the last univeristy left is queen mary but that is for a degree in oral health which is bascially qualifies you to be a dental hygienest and therapist. i cant see myself taking a gap year if i was to be rejected by queen mary and pursuing dentistry again. it defintely has been a dream career i had wanted since year 10 and im currently in year 13 but i dont mind a change in career so long as i am happy... here comes the problem, im confused at what degrees i should apply to throught ucas extra/clearing. any advice on what do and most of all courses that you think hold good job prospects e.g chemical engineering
btw i dont want to biomedical sciences or pharmacy.

thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What a great question! However i am sorry for the rejections :-( I am the same I don't want Biomedical science and i too have been rejected from 3 out of my 5 applications without interview so far so not holding out much hope for the other 2.....
Reply 2
Original post by Donut02
What a great question! However i am sorry for the rejections :-( I am the same I don't want Biomedical science and i too have been rejected from 3 out of my 5 applications without interview so far so not holding out much hope for the other 2.....

i can totally relate. at school all my friends keep coming to me about how they have just been accepted my another uni and loads have recieved all conditonal offers and im just here expecting my last rejection. i havent seen many posts like mine and im truly confused as to what my next step is so i hope we recieve loads of replies to help you and myself.
Original post by enya83
hi, as you read from the title, i have been rejected for dentistry by kings, bristol, plymouth, and manchester. the last univeristy left is queen mary but that is for a degree in oral health which is bascially qualifies you to be a dental hygienest and therapist. i cant see myself taking a gap year if i was to be rejected by queen mary and pursuing dentistry again. it defintely has been a dream career i had wanted since year 10 and im currently in year 13 but i dont mind a change in career so long as i am happy... here comes the problem, im confused at what degrees i should apply to throught ucas extra/clearing. any advice on what do and most of all courses that you think hold good job prospects e.g chemical engineering

thank you

Hi!
I was in the exact situation as you four years ago and now have completed Biomed and MSc Nutrition and Food Science.
I am applying as a graduate now. I am exhausted already.:frown:
My advice is to take a gap year and reapply rather than go for a degree.
Did Queen Mary reject you pre or post-interview?
I had an interview from them this year but haven't got a reply yet.
Reply 4
Original post by aspireddentist
Hi!
I was in the exact situation as you four years ago and now have completed Biomed and MSc Nutrition and Food Science.
I am applying as a graduate now. I am exhausted already.:frown:
My advice is to take a gap year and reapply rather than go for a degree.
Did Queen Mary reject you pre or post-interview?
I had an interview from them this year but haven't got a reply yet.

no queen mary hasnt replied to me yet at all, that was the only univeristy i didnt apply for dentistry, i applied for oral health and im still waiting for the outcome. i dont think i want to reply i cant imagine going through another series of interviews and ucat.
im now just looking for a career change.
i wish you the best on your journey though. i can imagine how exhausted you are.
Reply 5
Original post by enya83
no queen mary hasnt replied to me yet at all, that was the only univeristy i didnt apply for dentistry, i applied for oral health and im still waiting for the outcome. i dont think i want to reply i cant imagine going through another series of interviews and ucat.
i wish you the best on your journey though. i can imagine how exhausted you are.

reapply* not reply lol
I’m also a dent applicant and I would suggest you to take a gap year. It’s very normal for people to do so and that way you can start afresh given that you achieve amazing a levels. And spend the year doing additional work experience to improve your application.
And if you start a course you genuinely don’t want to do, it will affect the way you work within the course and overall give you a lot of debt. (If you were to decide to get into dentistry through graduate entry) so I would also suggest you to take the gap year to take the time to genuinely think about what you want to do.
May I ask, what do you think was the weakest part of your application? Was it your predicted grades or something else.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by enya83
im confused at what degrees i should apply to throught ucas extra/clearing. any advice on what do and most of all courses that you think hold good job prospects e.g chemical engineering

Could you take an extra year out (gap year) to think about it?
Because it's a big decision with a lot of debt to burden you with if you're not happy with your eventual choice
Reply 8
Original post by Sumayyah.Akhtar
I’m also a dent applicant and I would suggest you to take a gap year. It’s very normal for people to do so and that way you can start afresh given that you achieve amazing a levels. And spend the year doing additional work experience to improve your application.
And if you start a course you genuinely don’t want to do, it will affect the way you work within the course and overall give you a lot of debt. (If you were to decide to get into dentistry through graduate entry) so I would also suggest you to take the gap year to take the time to genuinely think about what you want to do.
May I ask, what do you think was the weakest part of your application? Was it your predicted grades or something else.

my ucat , which was 577 band 2. my predidcted grades where all A. i think i just need more work experience. but i really dont want to take gap year. i think i am going to dental hygiene and therapy instead. its close to what i originally wanted and i have more of a chance getting into there instead of dentistry. im not too mad i didnt get into dentistry it just sucks bc i set my mind on it for so long.
Reply 9
Deffo recommend a gap year, currently doing it rn for dentistry lol but I didn't achieve the grades that I wanted so decided to resit in this year too. If you do achieve ur grades, u can have a stress free year and spend time doing things you like, have a job and earn money, or find other work experience incase you no longer want to do dentistry! It's a pretty calm year and the months go by so quick, also I'm guessing most of your friends will be in uni by then so you can visit their accom and stay over etc
Reply 10
Original post by enya83
my ucat , which was 577 band 2. my predidcted grades where all A. i think i just need more work experience. but i really dont want to take gap year. i think i am going to dental hygiene and therapy instead. its close to what i originally wanted and i have more of a chance getting into there instead of dentistry. im not too mad i didnt get into dentistry it just sucks bc i set my mind on it for so long.

igy completely, had 4 rejections last year for dent after working so hard. What's stopping you from taking a gap year though?
Original post by enya83

In comparison to dentistry, dental hygiene and therapy is quite limited.
If you’ve had your heart set on it for long and still really want to do it, I genuinely suggest you to take a gap year because that way you’ll also have another go at the ucat.
good luck with everything :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by enya83

Thank you very much!!:smile:
I think the best option would be to take a gap year and maybe try to do more clinical experience.
If dentistry is your career dream definitely reapply again. Unis will appreciate this because it shows your motivation.
I am now in my third time applying for dentistry. Although I already did a BSc and now working towards my MSc, I can't see myself working other than being a dentist.:biggrin:
I got similar UCAT to you (2360 and band 4) and still haven't heard from Bristol yet.
Only heard from Belfast and Queen Mary's for interview and Cardiff rejection.
Original post by enya83
hi, as you read from the title, i have been rejected for dentistry by kings, bristol, plymouth, and manchester. the last univeristy left is queen mary but that is for a degree in oral health which is bascially qualifies you to be a dental hygienest and therapist. i cant see myself taking a gap year if i was to be rejected by queen mary and pursuing dentistry again. it defintely has been a dream career i had wanted since year 10 and im currently in year 13 but i dont mind a change in career so long as i am happy... here comes the problem, im confused at what degrees i should apply to throught ucas extra/clearing. any advice on what do and most of all courses that you think hold good job prospects e.g chemical engineeringSubmit reply

thank you

my dad didn't get into dentistry first time around. He re-took year thirteen, got better results and got into Birmingham for Dentistry
Hi, this is literally so relatable. I have been rejected by 3 unis and I am just waiting for Bristol’s decision. I am also very confused on what step I should do next as I do not fancy doing Biomed or DHT. I literally have no idea what I’m passionate about. I have looked at physio and psychology but nothing is really intriguing me. I also don’t want to take a gap year. Honestly the plan is to just try and get the best grades for better chances at clearing BUT it’s so discouraging to work hard when I have no uni to look forward to.
Reply 15
Original post by joolieaah
Hi, this is literally so relatable. I have been rejected by 3 unis and I am just waiting for Bristol’s decision. I am also very confused on what step I should do next as I do not fancy doing Biomed or DHT. I literally have no idea what I’m passionate about. I have looked at physio and psychology but nothing is really intriguing me. I also don’t want to take a gap year. Honestly the plan is to just try and get the best grades for better chances at clearing BUT it’s so discouraging to work hard when I have no uni to look forward to.

this is exactly how i feel, i hate the feeling of not knowing what my next step is, or what i can expect bc i really dont know.
I know how you guys feel.
I was in the exact same situation as you four years ago when I was rejected due to my low UCAT score for Dentistry.
I did Biomed (got a 1st at the end) and now doing MSc Nutrition and Food Science. I have applied this year for Dentistry as a graduate and I am already exhausted.
I got rejected from Cardiff, haven;t heard from Bristol and waiting for my interview results from Queen Mary and Belfast.
I would say it is far better to do a gap year and reapply rather than doing a degree and be stressed.
During the time I applied for Dentistry 4 years ago unfortunately, there were not a lot of options to study Dentistry in English in Europe.
However, in 2017 the European University in Cyprus has opened a new Dentistry course which seems to be very good. I am thinking of choosing it as an alternative in case I will not be accepted from my UK unis (it is good to my home country Greece).
I am attaching you the link to have a look. They do not have any interview or entrance exam.
https://euc.ac.cy/en/programs/bachelor-dental-surgery/#program-page-tabs|2
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
t

Original post by aspireddentist
I know how you guys feel.
I was in the exact same situation as you four years ago when I was rejected due to my low UCAT score for Dentistry.
I did Biomed (got a 1st at the end) and now doing MSc Nutrition and Food Science. I have applied this year for Dentistry as a graduate and I am already exhausted.
I got rejected from Cardiff, haven;t heard from Bristol and waiting for my interview results from Queen Mary and Belfast.
I would say it is far better to do a gap year and reapply rather than doing a degree and be stressed.
During the time I applied for Dentistry 4 years ago unfortunately, there were not a lot of options to study Dentistry in English in Europe.
However, in 2017 the European University in Cyprus has opened a new Dentistry course which seems to be very good. I am thinking of choosing it as an alternative in case I will not be accepted from my UK unis (it is good to my home country Greece).
I am attaching you the link to have a look. They do not have any interview or entrance exam.
https://euc.ac.cy/en/programs/bachelor-dental-surgery/#program-page-tabs|2

his may be a stupid question but can student finace fund these tution fees in cyprus
Original post by enya83
t

his may be a stupid question but can student finace fund these tution fees in cyprus

I don't think we can get student finance.:frown:
looks like im joining this club hahah

Quick Reply

Latest