The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants 2020

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :hello:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2/BTEC/etc grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Fine Art? This is a question you will be asked at interview so it's best to get an answer together sooner rather than later!
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

Good luck with your applications everyone :grouphugs:

For portfolio advice this thread is super useful! Check out the UCAS Applications megathread >> Here
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CoolCavy
Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :hello:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Fine Art? This is a question you will be asked at interview so it's best to get an answer together sooner rather than later!
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

Good luck with your applications everyone :grouphugs:
For portfolio advice this thread is super useful!

Lots of fine Art prospectives will not be doing A2 but BTEC or FAD so maybe amend post to make it more inclusive.
Original post by Scotney
Lots of fine Art prospectives will not be doing A2 but BTEC or FAD so maybe amend post to make it more inclusive.

Fair point :smile:
Reply 3
When do you hear back from Newcastle about interviews (post submission of portfolio)?
Just wondering if anyone has applied for Fine Art or fine art joint honours etc. this year and where at? Would be nice to know who is getting offers from where <3
I’ve applied to BA Fine Art at Kingston, Chelsea, CSM and Goldsmiths...
Also a BFA at Slade

So far I’ve only gone to one interview (Kingston) and got an offer. I’ve also submitted my portfolio to CSM and Slade and haven’t heard back yet.

What about you? :smile:
Nice! So all London universities?
I’ve applied for Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Falmouth and Aberystwyth. I’ve got a place at Leeds for fine art with art history, Aber for a joint honours in fine art/ art history and have submitted all my portfolios for the others (have a falmouth interview coming up)!
Are you on a foundation course or going straight from A levels?
Original post by superfoodjunk
Nice! So all London universities?
I’ve applied for Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Falmouth and Aberystwyth. I’ve got a place at Leeds for fine art with art history, Aber for a joint honours in fine art/ art history and have submitted all my portfolios for the others (have a falmouth interview coming up)!
Are you on a foundation course or going straight from A levels?

Yep, it’s pretty much always been my plan to go to London for uni :smile:

It’s great that you already have two offers, do you have a top choice? Good luck with your interview!

I’m doing the UAL extended diploma, what about you?
Nice! I already live in London so I’m pretty keen to get out for a bit. Leeds is my top choice which is lucky because it was my first offer, but if I get one from edinburgh I’ll consider it definetly too.

I’m in my second year of A levels so will be going straight to the degree.

What’s your top choice for uni?
Original post by nimsank
When do you hear back from Newcastle about interviews (post submission of portfolio)?

I was wondering this too- sent my portfolio mid January and haven't heard anything yet :/
Original post by abigail21
I was wondering this too- sent my portfolio mid January and haven't heard anything yet :/

From what I remember Newcastle were quite late responding last year due to amount of applicants. You can always phone and ask they are a very friendly dept.
Reply 11
University choices: Newcastle, Leeds Arts, Bath Spa, Nottingham Trent, Loughborough
What subject(s) are currently studying?: UAL Foundation Year
Predicted grade: Distinction
A-Level/BTEC grades: BTEC Diploma in Art & Design (D*D), A-level Product Design (B)
GCSE grades: AABBBCCCCC
Why Fine Art? I love the freedom you get with a fine art degree, I have an interest in more than one area of art and design and I feel that by doing a fine art degree I'll be able to apply my different skills in all sorts of different ways.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself? I applied to University last year and received 3 offers but I decided to do a Foundation year instead as I wanted to push myself harder. If you are considering doing a Foundation year I would 100% advise doing one, the change in my work in comparison to BTEC has been insane, and in only just a few months of starting it! I definitely feel more confident this year too :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey GUYS,
Applied to csm (two diffrent courses) , chelsea, slade and goldsmiths.
XD
Reply 13
Anyone heard back from Chelsea yet??
Hey,

BA Fine Arts at Leeds, CSM, Slade and Loughborough. I got offers from Leeds and CSM recently but still waiting for other offers to come in before deciding. Since I am an international student soo do not know much about how the universities actually are. Would be happy if anyone can give me insights on if they are worth my non -eu tuition fees. What are dis/advantages of CSM and Leeds and which is more preferable? Thanks guys xx
Heya, congrats on your offers! I’m going to firm Leeds- have you visited the uni at all? I don’t have much insight to give but have seen it a couple times/ spoken to students so can tell you some of that if it’s useful :smile:
Original post by superfoodjunk
Heya, congrats on your offers! I’m going to firm Leeds- have you visited the uni at all? I don’t have much insight to give but have seen it a couple times/ spoken to students so can tell you some of that if it’s useful :smile:

No i have never been so any insights would be helpful and appreciated!
Reply 17
Original post by hangingthere
Hey,

BA Fine Arts at Leeds, CSM, Slade and Loughborough. I got offers from Leeds and CSM recently but still waiting for other offers to come in before deciding. Since I am an international student soo do not know much about how the universities actually are. Would be happy if anyone can give me insights on if they are worth my non -eu tuition fees. What are dis/advantages of CSM and Leeds and which is more preferable? Thanks guys xx

Hi!
I’m also applying for fine art BA this year, so I only have second hand opinions about csm but from what I’ve heard (from a tutor who studied fashion BA and an MA at csm), csm really isn’t the place to be for fine art. There’s so little studio space and you get minimal time with your tutors because they’re so busy with everything. So altogether, other than the obviously prestigious name, you’re not really paying for a high quality BA for fine art. Ive heard their MA’s are good though. My tutor said you’d be better off doing a BA elsewhere then doing an MA at csm if you really want the name, and are planning on doing an MA. I don’t know much about Leeds, but congrats on your offers!
(edited 4 years ago)
I have an offer from the fine art with art history course- I really like the art school at leeds because apparently the studios are open 24 hours so you have the freedom to create your art when it suits you (as opposed to the other unis I’ve looked at that are open 9-5) and for me the art history modules are exactly what I’m interested in (curation etc.). The college of art is beautiful like it’s in a seperate building on campus- studio space is pretty much average to any uni... all the tutors I spoke to as well were so nice and they give you quite a bit of freedom but also personal guidance... hope that helps!
Original post by peachuchu
I’ve applied to BA Fine Art at Kingston, Chelsea, CSM and Goldsmiths...
Also a BFA at Slade

So far I’ve only gone to one interview (Kingston) and got an offer. I’ve also submitted my portfolio to CSM and Slade and haven’t heard back yet.

What about you? :smile:

I've also went all for London universities for fine arr! just been rejected from the BFA at Slade :'( interviews for Camberwell (painting) and Chelsea.are booked. still waiting for anything back from goldsmith's and CSM... have you had any updates?

Latest