The Student Room Group

Why do people want to save the planet?

Our obsession with saving the planet is delusional. How can we save this blue and green ball if we can't look after ourselves? The planet isn't going anywhere-we are. Sorry most of this mumbling is just torn from a George Carlin stand-up routine, but what's the point of concerning ourselves with this planet? Is it because we feel we have dominion over it and feel obliged to take care of it? I used to be ultra concerned and fraught with panic over climate change and global warming when I was 13, Now I'm 27 and the planet doesn't concern me at all. Sure I don't like seeing fish being caught up in plastic mesh or seeing gallons of oil spilled into the ocean-generally I don't like seeing animals suffer and detest animal cruelty more than anything else-but are we just exhausting and exerting ourselves to a mostly-pointless end?

Scroll to see replies

Are you asking a question or making a statement? :confused:
people tryna stop the world's extinction for the future generation so they can actually see trees/ animals, ur being a bit pessimistic don't ya think
'Our obsession' is in order to save future generations of people and animals and wildlife. To believe otherwise is narrow-minded.
Original post by hallaluliah
people tryna stop the world's extinction for the future generation so they can actually see trees/ animals, ur being a bit pessimistic don't ya think

I'm not being pessimistic at all I'm saying why interfere with nature? We interfere with nature we create more damage than if we don't.
I guess as well as for themselves, also for future generations.
Original post by StriderHort
Are you asking a question or making a statement? :confused:

I asked questions in my statement-this is how discussions can be made.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I'm not being pessimistic at all I'm saying why interfere with nature? We interfere with nature we create more damage than if we don't.

Our interference is what has caused global warming, so we need to sort it out.

well I guess governments are trying to get different outcomes by experimenting different solutions to climate change, donations are made to clean lakes/ rivers that were polluted, plat new trees. i think they're tryna spread awareness of climate change to encourage people to stop polluting and start recycling as well, idk bruh
Original post by yzanne
'Our obsession' is in order to save future generations of people and animals and wildlife. To believe otherwise is narrow-minded.

But what are we saving when 99.9% of animals that ever lived are extinct? Don't think we're doing a good job of saving anything because we can't-we care too much about this planet yet we can't do a thing to turn the tide of nature. As far as being narrow-minded is concerned, that's not a bad thing when it's more accurate than having a broad mind and being delusional.
But what are we saving when 99.9% of animals that ever lived are extinct? Don't think we're doing a good job of saving anything because we can't-we care too much about this planet yet we can't do a thing to turn the tide of nature. As far as being narrow-minded is concerned, that's not a bad thing when it's more accurate than having a broad mind and being delusional.

So, by that logic, because 99.9% of animals are extinct, it's ok to let every animal die? Shall we just have an animal-less world? Think about what they bring to our environment, and how humans have ruined it so desperately in the past 100 years.

We hardly care too much about the planet - look what world leaders every day are consenting to. New Nuclear power plants, new coal fire stations, fracking, complete lack of care for sustainability - I'd hardly call this 'caring too much about the planet'.

And what tide of nature? The world was pretty much OK before humans ruined it. I'd hardly call every living thing going extinct 'Tide of nature'.

Delusional? Perhaps simply a little less selfless. My poor future generations.
Reply 11
You sound like a bit of a crackpot brah.
Here’s what I don’t understand:

The world has to end some time, it cannot possibly last forever. If nothing else, the sun will eventually run out of energy. This means all humans and animals will eventually go extinct. This is fact.

We cannot prevent this from happening, but perhaps we can delay it. But why do people care so much about delaying it? At this rate it’s not going to happen within your lifetime anyway. You won’t be around to experience it, so what difference does it make to you?

Now you might say “well I care about future generations, I don’t want my children to experience it either”. But even if we delay it so that the next generation doesn’t experience it, the generation after it will. Or if not, the one after that. It has to happen some time. Whether it happens 200 years from now or 2000 years from know, why does it make any difference to any of us?

In fact, surely it’s better if it happens sooner rather than later, while the population of Earth is low, so fewer people have to experience it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Here’s what I don’t understand:

The world has to end some time, it cannot possibly last forever. If nothing else, the sun will eventually run out of energy. This means all humans and animals will eventually go extinct. This is fact.

We cannot prevent this from happening, but perhaps we can delay it. But why do people care so much about delaying it? At this rate it’s not going to happen within your lifetime anyway. You won’t be around to experience it, so what difference does it make to you?

Now you might say “well I care about future generations, I don’t want my children to experience it either”. But even if we delay it so that the next generation doesn’t experience it, the generation after it will. Or if not, the one after that. It has to happen some time. Whether it happens 200 years from now or 2000 years from know, why does it make any difference to any of us?

In fact, surely it’s better if it happens sooner rather than later, while the population of Earth is low, so fewer people have to experience it.

This sounds uncaring but what does it matter about future generations if we're not here to experience it with them?

We already do interfere with nature. That is causing the problem. What we need to do is stop interfering.
It's funny how you say "humans are obsessed with saving the planet" when in reality, the lack of obsession is causing the planet to die.

We should concern ourselves with the planet if we want to continue living?? Do you not want to live, what's your deal
We gonna live in a dystopia real soon.
Humans are destructive and are the cause of mass extinction and harm to the planet. As we're responsible, it's only right that we try and put it right.
mf ur name is incinerator I cba
Original post by pinesandapples2001
It's funny how you say "humans are obsessed with saving the planet" when in reality, the lack of obsession is causing the planet to die.

We should concern ourselves with the planet if we want to continue living?? Do you not want to live, what's your deal
We gonna live in a dystopia real soon.

Don't be so dramatic the planet isn't dying or going anywhere-we are the ones who are going, doesn't anyone understand that? Oh yeah we're more important than everything else and the planet is made up of everybody who thinks the planet is more important than everything else. Well you lot can go about saving the planet and see where it ends up for you-that's the great thing about having choices, you have the liberty to succeed and to fail.

I think we should contend with the situations we've been handed in life to the best of our potential. If the world ends today then that's wonderful because we'll all go together as one and humanity will no longer be able to meddle with nature.
Original post by MidgetFever
Humans are destructive and are the cause of mass extinction and harm to the planet. As we're responsible, it's only right that we try and put it right.

But how do we put anything right when we continue to mess it up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending