The Student Room Group

I am terrified of meeting a narcissist again.

I am a lucky survivor of narcissistic and emotional abuse. I was in a relationship for 2 years with someone I thought I’d spend the rest of my life with. They were the worst two years of my life. I know that now. I took the plunge to end the relationship just when things had gotten too much. After seeing a therapist and explaining situations that occurred daily, she assured me that he was emotionally abusing me and displayed narcissistic behaviour. He gaslighted me, showed signs he was cheating on me (I’ll never really know). I am now a free, happy, strong and confident woman and I know I have been abused and have suffered but I have survived.

But - I am absolutely terrified of meeting someone like this again. I don’t care how many boyfriends I go through, but I want to meet nice, normal men with whom I can share a healthy relationship with that isn’t abusive or emotionally and physically draining. yes I am aware relationships have ups and downs, but abusing someone you’re supposed to love isn’t my idea of a ‘Down’ moment. I can’t divulge into what he did to me as it’s too raw and not appropriate to post on a thread.

How can I stop this fear? What’s your advice and if you have been in his position please respond!!
Original post by Anonymous
I am a lucky survivor of narcissistic and emotional abuse. I was in a relationship for 2 years with someone I thought I’d spend the rest of my life with. They were the worst two years of my life. I know that now. I took the plunge to end the relationship just when things had gotten too much. After seeing a therapist and explaining situations that occurred daily, she assured me that he was emotionally abusing me and displayed narcissistic behaviour. He gaslighted me, showed signs he was cheating on me (I’ll never really know). I am now a free, happy, strong and confident woman and I know I have been abused and have suffered but I have survived.

But - I am absolutely terrified of meeting someone like this again. I don’t care how many boyfriends I go through, but I want to meet nice, normal men with whom I can share a healthy relationship with that isn’t abusive or emotionally and physically draining. yes I am aware relationships have ups and downs, but abusing someone you’re supposed to love isn’t my idea of a ‘Down’ moment. I can’t divulge into what he did to me as it’s too raw and not appropriate to post on a thread.

How can I stop this fear? What’s your advice and if you have been in his position please respond!!

i went through the same experience with both my dad and ex bf on separate equations the one thing i remembered is that those people are toxic and there arent many of them around i have been cautious now for the past 2 years

please can we private message as i can share more things then than in public xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending