The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting a sat nav?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Key for me ,in Europe especially, is does it tell you which lanes to move into early enough (Like the pink motorway intersection pop ups), how far to petrol/food stops, speed cameras (not infallible ) etc can be useful . I use a Garmin with Western Europe, through Netherlands (high speed maniacs), Germany (controlled high speed maniacs) Denmark and Sweden it has rarely put a foot wrong covering now about 10,000 miles in total- and if it does I can swear at it without the risk of an all out argument. Please note voice command is a pain, it does not seem to readily recognise a Scottish accent therefore programming in places at outset before travelling using postcodes avoids the worst of my expletives.
Definately get a sat nav, I just got the one that they use in the driving test, at least your not messing with your phone and can leave it in car
How often would you be making an unfamiliar journey, or one without someone else who could look at their phone or a map?
Original post by IWMTom
I really don't think a couple of minutes (assuming you even let your battery drain that far) is enough of a reason to require a separate device to do an identical job.

It's unnecessary to have a standalone device for this.

I won't get into how poor the satnav market is in terms of planned obsolescence.

True but a sat nav is more focused on being a map but a phone is more for other stuff. Google maps isnt that reliable
Reply 44
Original post by Dont know65
True but a sat nav is more focused on being a map but a phone is more for other stuff. Google maps isnt that reliable

That's the point of the application model - it focuses on a specific task..

Google Map is a hell of a lot more reliable and up to date than a satnav.......
Original post by barnetlad
How often would you be making an unfamiliar journey, or one without someone else who could look at their phone or a map?

Maybe a few times a month
Original post by IWMTom
That's the point of the application model - it focuses on a specific task..

Google Map is a hell of a lot more reliable and up to date than a satnav.......

Ok
If you need one... I only really drive places I know in all honesty as my car is simply to get me from A to B. I run waze but not for maps, just for alerts.

Quick Reply

Latest