The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Geboers8
If any of you have questions, ask away. I have recently started a degree apprenticeship in corporate banking at a top UK bank.

Hi Geboers8, I have some questions regarding the degree apprenticeship
Who are you working for and Where are you currently studying?
Did you apply for your degree apprenticeship through UCAS?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Geboers8
If any of you have questions, ask away. I have recently started a degree apprenticeship in corporate banking at a top UK bank.

Are you based in London?
May I ask firstly what bank it was? and how hard was the application process? I'm really passionate about wanting to do a degree apprenticeship especially in the banking sector but people just say 'oh it's really hard to get into anyways'. But I would much rather delve into the work and get experience and get a degree. So I guess I want to ask how the application process was and some tips to get in. As I already struggle just even getting past work experience applications.

but also how is it with the workload and how it compares to A level. As I know the jump from A level to university is really big so can't even imagine what the jump from A level to a degree apprenticeship is
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by xannypunanny
Are you based in London?

Yes I am. Sorry for the late reply.
Original post by Mrdesi
Hi Geboers8, I have some questions regarding the degree apprenticeship
Who are you working for and Where are you currently studying?
Did you apply for your degree apprenticeship through UCAS?

Thanks in advance.

My current apprenticeship is with BPP University alongside The Chartered Banker Institute. I am based in London.
I'm 20 years old and I want to do a degree apprenticeship. I have recently finished my BTEC in software development and web design and want to do a digital and technology degree apprenticeship. I've been reading that you have to be 16-19 years old to do this scheme. Has anyone else done a degree apprenticeship at a mature age?
Original post by virgil1
I did a "higher" apprenticeship before degree apprenticeships were a thing really.

3 years of work and study up to foundation degree level was hard going especially as the apprenticeship part required about 1 week every month away from home at "uni" and then further weeks away getting operational (vendor) training meant I spent a long time traveling up and down the country.

But it was all paid for by my company (travel,food,accommodation, training itself - everything) and the group I was with every month were great plus I was given 1 day off operational work a week to keep up with my coursework.

It depends what you want to do. I've done both uni and apprenticeship as I didn't get very far without experience after uni so did an apprenticeship.

If you do an apprenticeship you won't get all of the uni experience (especially if you have money or well off parents) as you are an employee with all the requirements of that. That's not to say you won't get a chance to enjoy yourself on nights out etc but you've got to work a 9-5 (or whatever your employer expects), also expect to have to work out of hours just to get work done sometimes. However you should get paid and will end up with a degree without debt and much more importantly experience at the end.

Before I started my apprenticeship I had a crap retail job on 14k (no experience after uni) and left 3 years later as a vendor certified professional in my field at 32k with a promotion to "senior" at 45k 6 months later (still with the same company).

What really irritates me when SLC take their whack every month? My apprenticeship was on the back of my school qualification.

Hi there, I know this is a late reply but did you end up doing a degree apprenticeship past 19+ years old? I want to do an IT degree apprenticeship and I'm 20 years old. I have a back up plan to go to uni and have been accepted by all my offers but I really want to do a degree apprenticeship. Some of the requirements do ask to have a science gcse but I don't have one. I have ICT, maths, ART, english language and french all at C grade. Will that be enough? Also D*,D*, D* BTEC in software development and web design. Will I be rejected from my age straight away? Please reply and thank you if anybody has read and replied to this.
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you get to live with other uni students in the first year?
Original post by jackhaugh
I'm doing one. It's not all it's cracked up to be, but I think that is more due to my employer rather than the premise of a degree apprenticeship. It's an awful lot of hard work, but very rewarding.

Do they allow enough time to study alongside the 'work' you do? Apart from any classroom based studying
Original post by Reginald2004
Do they allow enough time to study alongside the 'work' you do? Apart from any classroom based studying

I had day release to go to university, or to study if there was no university. Other than that, all my work was done in my own time.

Sometimes I’d have to do work/studies from 8am to 10pm every day for months to keep on top of work, especially around exam time.
can i do a degree apprenticeship and not go to uni because i think doing both is not going to be ez for me and i also think its going to be so much stressful.
Original post by imsobored...
can i do a degree apprenticeship and not go to uni because i think doing both is not going to be ez for me and i also think its going to be so much stressful.

A degree apprenticeship requires the apprentice to complete a BEng, as the apprenticeship aims to certify you as a competent engineer at Level 6. However, some courses may suit you better than others.

Most are unaware that apprentices, in addition to work based and university assignments, also have to complete a portfolio evidencing their competence. This portfolio is sent externally for your competence assessment.
This has to be mapped to specific modules covering different aspects of engineering. The apprentice also has to present their project work to an external assessor (approx 50min) which is followed by a professional discussion (Q&A) which can last 2 hours.

This is easier to prepare for based on how well you document your work during your apprenticeship.

It’s true, they are stressfully, and I felt near broken at times with stress. However, they give you so much in return. I rarely think about not having to pay any tuition fees because the experience and skills I’ve built are so much more valuable.

It’s important that if you decide to go this route, that you’re fully invested and passionate about the work involved.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by virgil1
I did a "higher" apprenticeship before degree apprenticeships were a thing really.

3 years of work and study up to foundation degree level was hard going especially as the apprenticeship part required about 1 week every month away from home at "uni" and then further weeks away getting operational (vendor) training meant I spent a long time traveling up and down the country.

But it was all paid for by my company (travel,food,accommodation, training itself - everything) and the group I was with every month were great plus I was given 1 day off operational work a week to keep up with my coursework.

It depends what you want to do. I've done both uni and apprenticeship as I didn't get very far without experience after uni so did an apprenticeship.

If you do an apprenticeship you won't get all of the uni experience (especially if you have money or well off parents) as you are an employee with all the requirements of that. That's not to say you won't get a chance to enjoy yourself on nights out etc but you've got to work a 9-5 (or whatever your employer expects), also expect to have to work out of hours just to get work done sometimes. However you should get paid and will end up with a degree without debt and much more importantly experience at the end.

Before I started my apprenticeship I had a crap retail job on 14k (no experience after uni) and left 3 years later as a vendor certified professional in my field at 32k with a promotion to "senior" at 45k 6 months later (still with the same company).

What really irritates me when SLC take their whack every month? My apprenticeship was on the back of my school qualification.

Can you please explain YOUR role. What job do you do that pays 45k . Any advice for me?? PLEASE I’m looking for degree apprenticeships (I am 19 btw). I would appreciate if you could advise me to some , where can I find good ones and send me links to some. Sorry for asking. It’s just that I am very stressed and have been researching for weeks.
Reply 33
This is from over a year ago so you might not reply but - A degree apprenticeship in corporate banking is exactly what I plan to go into (currently in year 12)Is your progress slower compared to someone who is on a graduate scheme at the same bank? they generally start on a higher salary but is it possible to quickly progress higher within the company and increase your salary?
As well as that, to me it sounds very difficult to work full time 4 days a week and then fit uni studies somewhere into there - how much free time do you get for yourself, and how difficult is the work?
Thanks if you reply :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tubbz
Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to. GCSEs will be part of the entry requirements. Certainly worth resitting if the apprenticeship you want requires it.

Hi, this reply may be too late but I'm going to say it!
Resiting your GCSE maths may certainly be worth it in terms of credibility however I'll recommend you to do a GCSE equivalent i.e functional skills you may ask why, why? Because retaking the GCSE would take up a lot of time and effort whereas a functional skill would have narrower content and can be taken anytime-both online or in an exam centre, the online exams are quite good however you'll need good wifi, a quiet environment and can be inconvenient sometimes because of the wifi and other issues that need to be fulfilled for you to able to sit the exam, exam centres payment are expensive but quite good because of the surrounding environment. Overall functional skills are the better option because you could take them anytime you want as long as your able to pay for them. Functional skills exam prices could differ depending on the exam centres and websites.

Websites for functional skills exam Are listed below

https://www.learndirect.com/course/functional-skills-maths-exam-home-evening-or-weekend

https://www.totalpeople.co.uk/courses/functional-skills/functional-skills-maths-english/

Online course; https://www.pearson.com/en-gb.html

If you're bad at maths or anything else then you should have a look at the free courses there they may even offer free certified courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending