The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

"I think he's actually bisexual"

That's for him to decide though, not you.
If he says he's gay, then he's gay.
Original post by TCL
It was still very difficult for a public figure to be openly gay in the 80's and looking "normal" would have made life easier and helped his career at that time. Thankfully, that is no longer the case but it is almost impossible for people under 25 to imagine what it was like as things are so different. There are many others in the past who have done the same thing and had children, including Oscar Wilde who ultimately died due to the prison sentence he got for being gay.

Nobody knows what his relationship with his wife and children was/is like and you can't judge him on this, only his family can. They may have known for a long time, and it is entirely possible for a gay man to love a woman very much even if he is not sexually attracted to her.

It must have been very difficult to come out now, and I expect he would probably like to keep it as quiet as possible.

Oscar Wilde lived in a very very different time and showbiz was always a more accepting sphere. We don’t know all of the facts, but I do think he has been selfish to get married and have children.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by WorkingNomad
As long as he doesn't impose his homosexuality on society then I wish him no ill will.

Ah yes, the Schofield bill banning heterosexuality that is being debated in the Lords at the moment.
As long as he doesn't impose his homosexuality on society then I wish him no ill will.

What does this even mean??????
You know full well what it means, you just will not acknowledge that the gay community has taken over everything.

FTR he is good broadcaster, as relaxing as a cup of tea in a bubble bath.

No, I don't know what it means for a TV presenter who just happens to be gay to "impose his sexuality" on society.....
Many of them do to the point where the homosexuality defines the entire persona. Graham Norton imposes his Irish homosexuality on a mostly unwilling audience.

:rofl: :rofl:
I am pleased he can now be open but I feel sorry for his wife. He’s basically ruined her life. I understand coming out as gay in the 80s would have been extremely difficult, but he did not need to marry a woman.

I also find it strange Holly felt the need to make it clear Phillip hasn’t been pressured into coming out in the interview (This Morning) by anyone, why would anyone assume this anyway? I actually think this suggests ITV have played a part in Phillip’s decision and are trying to cover their backs. Quite ironic when you consider decades ago, an announcement like this would have caused the BBC to disown him.
(edited 4 years ago)
Many of them do to the point where the homosexuality defines the entire persona. Graham Norton imposes his Irish homosexuality on a mostly unwilling audience.

Why would people watch 'unwillfully', surely if they didn't like his style, they wouldn't watch
(edited 4 years ago)
Always thought he was anyways :colone:
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
Why would people watch 'unwillfully', surely if they didn't like his style, they wouldn't watch

Unfortunately there are a lot of people in England who don't the inclination or the intellect to do much else after work. Very easy to normalise and control people who are apathetic and tired.
Unfortunately there are a lot of people in England who don't the inclination or the intellect to do much else after work. Very easy to normalise and control people who are apathetic and tired.

So they watch him because there's nothing else on, doesn't exaxtly seem like he's forcing his sexuality on them, they do have the chance to change the channel but they think he's the best on at that time. Doesn't exactly seem controlling and I don't have a problem with normalising gay people, it literally has no downside.
Original post by tyke_
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51414010

As title, he has declared himself gay at 57. I'm slightly puzzled by this.

He has been married for many years and has fathered 2 children. Surely a 100% gay man would find it physically impossible to father 2 children?

I think he is actually bi-sexual (so to state he is gay is incorrect) or that his sexuality has changed at some point. If it's the latter then I wonder what causes this to happen?

I don't believe sexual orientation is a choice. It's a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. For example, no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause me to get an erection over a man.

'It's a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. For example, no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause me to get an erection over a man.'

Hey, it's easy for me to get confused, I'm a lil dim... but don't these sentences contradict each other?
Reply 32
Original post by YaliaV
Oscar Wilde lived in a very very different time and showbiz was always a more accepting sphere. We don’t know all of the facts, but I do think he has been selfish to get married and have children.

I mentioned Oscar Wilde because he was married and had 2 children. The '80s was still a very hard time to be gay - there was the AIDS epidemic which made people scared and resulted in terrible discrimination.
Original post by Cyeol61
'It's a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. For example, no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause me to get an erection over a man.'

Hey, it's easy for me to get confused, I'm a lil dim... but don't these sentences contradict each other?

No, they don’t. For example, being right handed is also a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. So no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause you to write (easily) with your left hand. Obviously you could make yourself write with your left hand just like you could make yourself have sexual intercourse with a man, but it wouldn’t be the same.
Not huge surprise, must be a slightly odd home life, but none of my particular business.
Original post by Joe Frazier
No, they don’t. For example, being right handed is also a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. So no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause you to write (easily) with your left hand. Obviously you could make yourself write with your left hand just like you could make yourself have sexual intercourse with a man, but it wouldn’t be the same.

Ah, ok. Thank you!
Original post by TCL
I mentioned Oscar Wilde because he was married and had 2 children. The '80s was still a very hard time to be gay - there was the AIDS epidemic which made people scared and resulted in terrible discrimination.

I’m not quite old enough to remember the 80s, but several of my friends came out in the 90s and it was fine. There’s a difference between not coming out and choosing to have a family, but I know life isn’t always that simple and we don’t know all of the facts. I’m glad he seems to have a lot of support and I’m sure it wasn’t an easy decision to come out in such a public manner.
Original post by Paracosm
I find it funny that any of you feel you have the right to speculate and/or redefine someone's own sexuality? It's precisely none of your business and your speculative opinion on what his sexuality is 'actually' is not relevant.

Couldnt agree less.
He is the one who decided to make a big show of it on live TV and get publicity from it, conveniently due to his waning popularity.
Nobody asked him.
As he has done so, then its perfectly fine to speculate about him because he is in the media and has put that information out there in the most attention grabbing way he can to make it a topic for discussion.
I couldn’t care if he’s gay, straight, bi or whatever. I’m pleased he’s got support from his family. Hopefully one day sexuality won’t be such a big deal and we can accept people for being anything but straight without making it a big deal, like no one makes a big fuss about being straight so.
Original post by 999tigger
Couldnt agree less.
He is the one who decided to make a big show of it on live TV and get publicity from it, conveniently due to his waning popularity.
Nobody asked him.
As he has done so, then its perfectly fine to speculate about him because he is in the media and has put that information out there in the most attention grabbing way he can to make it a topic for discussion.

👏👏👏

Latest

Trending

Trending