The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MidgetFever
"I think he's actually bisexual"

That's for him to decide though, not you.
If he says he's gay, then he's gay.

You don't "decide" your sexuality, it's not a choice, it's a biological chemical reaction. I cannot decide I'm gay, and that's because I am attracted to women. I'm only pointing out that a man who has sex with a woman and says he's gay, is more accurately described as being bi-sexual.
Reply 41
Original post by Cyeol61
'It's a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. For example, no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause me to get an erection over a man.'

Hey, it's easy for me to get confused, I'm a lil dim... but don't these sentences contradict each other?

How do they contradict? Sexual attraction is subconscious brain chemistry. I cannot alter that consciously by trying to think myself into fancying the opposite sex.
Reply 42
Original post by Joe Frazier
No, they don’t. For example, being right handed is also a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. So no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause you to write (easily) with your left hand. Obviously you could make yourself write with your left hand just like you could make yourself have sexual intercourse with a man, but it wouldn’t be the same.

To be honest I don't think true heterosexuals could make themselves have sex with a man as getting an erection would be impossible.
Original post by tyke_
To be honest I don't think true heterosexuals could make themselves have sex with a man as getting an erection would be impossible.

When men get raped, they can get get erections. It's a biological thing.
Plenty of supposedly straight blokes use gay guys for 'relief' and presumably reach orgasm so I don't see why a gay man couldn't *** inside a woman.
Reply 45
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Same for a divorce though. My husband said he was never happy in all our years of marriage. He was sh&&&going a wh*'re. I was more than furious because I know it was a lie

People have been calling in to LBC with their stories and a couple make the point that you cannot claim adultery when the partner has been with someone of the same sex, the victim ends up paying four times as much to get divorced
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
When men get raped, they can get get erections. It's a biological thing.

that's not the same as getting an erection in preparation for ****ing a man.
Reply 47
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Plenty of supposedly straight blokes use gay guys for 'relief' and presumably reach orgasm so I don't see why a gay man couldn't *** inside a woman.

"supposedly straight", you said it, they aren't straight, they're bi. And a 100% gay man is not attracted to a female and would not get an erection to **** her. any "gay" man that does is actually bi.
Original post by tyke_
"supposedly straight", you said it, they aren't straight, they're bi. And a 100% gay man is not attracted to a female and would not get an erection to **** her. any "gay" man that does is actually bi.

I don't think anyone is 100 percent straight or gay. But you can get an erection for a women if you're gay, simple sexual arousal, and that's not solely dependant on whether you are attracted to the person you are with.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Phillip made it everyone's business by taking it public.

I mean, it's rare that people in the public eye have a choice over which information becomes public knowledge - at least this way he gets to share it and come out in his own right.

To the OP, and anyone else trying to suggest he's 'actually' bi - that's not your decision to make. Only he can truly know his sexuality, and how he feels, and I think it's inappropriate to suggest that any of us know better than him on the matter.
Original post by tyke_
You don't "decide" your sexuality, it's not a choice, it's a biological chemical reaction. I cannot decide I'm gay, and that's because I am attracted to women. I'm only pointing out that a man who has sex with a woman and says he's gay, is more accurately described as being bi-sexual.

It's worth noting that sexuality isn't defined by sexual acts, but by the attraction itself. A straight person cannot decide they are gay, I grant you, but they could decide to sleep with someone of the same sex; assuming they were only attracted to women than that action would not make them gay.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Always thought he was anyways

I thought it was just me that thought that :biggrin: I was surprised to learn this morning that he has a wife and two kids! I think I'd always just assumed he was gay and out for the last 20 years or whatever :getmecoat:

Anyway, good on his wife and kids for supporting him during what sounds like a tumultuous few years of inner pain for poor Phil :frown:
Reply 52
I don't think anyone is 100 percent straight or gay. But you can get an erection for a women if you're gay, simple sexual arousal, and that's not solely dependant on whether you are attracted to the person you are with.

I've never been aroused by a man, i consider myself to be completely heterosexual.
Original post by tyke_
I've never been aroused by a man, i consider myself to be completely heterosexual.

You don't have to be aroused by the person, but the sexual act.
Reply 54
Original post by shadowdweller
I mean, it's rare that people in the public eye have a choice over which information becomes public knowledge - at least this way he gets to share it and come out in his own right.

To the OP, and anyone else trying to suggest he's 'actually' bi - that's not your decision to make. Only he can truly know his sexuality, and how he feels, and I think it's inappropriate to suggest that any of us know better than him on the matter.

I'm only making an observation. What one claims to be doesn't mean it's factual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality
"Homosexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or sexual behavior between members of the same sex"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexuality
"Bisexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or sexual behavior toward both males and females"

Apply all the mental gymnastics you want, being aroused by men and women mean you are bi. Of course you can call yourself anything, it doesn't mean factually you are that. I'm a billionaire for example
Reply 55
You don't have to be aroused by the person, but the sexual act.

the thought of sexual acts with men dont arouse me either
Reply 56
Original post by shadowdweller
It's worth noting that sexuality isn't defined by sexual acts, but by the attraction itself. A straight person cannot decide they are gay, I grant you, but they could decide to sleep with someone of the same sex; assuming they were only attracted to women than that action would not make them gay.

no they'd be bi-sexual, see the wikipedia defintions above.
Original post by tyke_
the thought of sexual acts with men dont arouse me either

The thoughts don't have to but I guarantee the act would, its just biology. And also this whole thing with Philip, you can easily lie to yourself and tell yourself you are something you're not.
Is it really any of our business. If he feels a weight has been lifted off his shoulders, good.

It may be a catalyst for someone else to come out to their family and friends.
Original post by tyke_

I think midget was referring to the label he decides to use rather than his actual sexuality