The Student Room Group

BCU PGCE in design and technology interview day advice

Hi guys

Don’t know if anyone can help, I have been looking through the forums and haven’t found any info from people who’ve done these interview days for design and technology.

I was wondering how to go about this 5min presentation? Has anyone got any info on how the day is likely to go. I just have a clue what to expect. Any info will be super helpful.

Thanks in advance,
😊
Original post by Becky00190
Hi guys

Don’t know if anyone can help, I have been looking through the forums and haven’t found any info from people who’ve done these interview days for design and technology.

I was wondering how to go about this 5min presentation? Has anyone got any info on how the day is likely to go. I just have a clue what to expect. Any info will be super helpful.

Thanks in advance,
😊

Hello!

The DT interviews are similar to any other of the Teacher Training course subjects. However, you maybe asked to bring a portfolio of your design work. The design process (Brief, product analysis and research, ideas, development, final design spec) is what ties together the different material areas we work with, and so you'd need to highlight your knowledge and understanding of the process, even though you may not have experience of working with the range of materials in DT - timber, plastic, electronic, paper/card, food, textiles.

Have you been given any details on the presentation you are expected to deliver? If not, I think I'd go with 'How to do an effective product analysis'.

In regards to the actual interview part, please revise what the DT curriculum consists of, (BBC Bitesize is much less dry than the actual National Curriculum), Safe-Guarding policy, and common issues in education. (assessment, league tables, children choosing DT as their GCSE options etc)

If you haven't got one, I would encourage you to get a Teacher Training Adviser. They can help you to prepare for this interview. Call 0800 389 2500 asap, so you can get your adviser quickly.

Jane :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello!

The DT interviews are similar to any other of the Teacher Training course subjects. However, you maybe asked to bring a portfolio of your design work. The design process (Brief, product analysis and research, ideas, development, final design spec) is what ties together the different material areas we work with, and so you'd need to highlight your knowledge and understanding of the process, even though you may not have experience of working with the range of materials in DT - timber, plastic, electronic, paper/card, food, textiles.

Have you been given any details on the presentation you are expected to deliver? If not, I think I'd go with 'How to do an effective product analysis'.

In regards to the actual interview part, please revise what the DT curriculum consists of, (BBC Bitesize is much less dry than the actual National Curriculum), Safe-Guarding policy, and common issues in education. (assessment, league tables, children choosing DT as their GCSE options etc)

If you haven't got one, I would encourage you to get a Teacher Training Adviser. They can help you to prepare for this interview. Call 0800 389 2500 asap, so you can get your adviser quickly.

Hi, thanks for this!

The presentation is 5mins based on a food science activity for students. Which is a great topic for me. However, I'm unsure how to cram a lesson activity based on food science in a short space of time as well as getting my subject knowledge across while also making it interesting to listen too! i feel as though 5mins isn't very long for the task at all...

I've not been asked to supply a portfolio of any description, just proof of degree and ID. They have given me some docs to read up on as well as teacher standards which is great as i already have a good chunk of knowledge about teacher standards anyway.

Generally, I'm just panicked about this presentation and making it engaging in such a short amount of time.

Thanks again :smile:
Hi, thanks for this!

The presentation is 5mins based on a food science activity for students. Which is a great topic for me. However, I'm unsure how to cram a lesson activity based on food science in a short space of time as well as getting my subject knowledge across while also making it interesting to listen too! i feel as though 5mins isn't very long for the task at all...

I've not been asked to supply a portfolio of any description, just proof of degree and ID. They have given me some docs to read up on as well as teacher standards which is great as i already have a good chunk of knowledge about teacher standards anyway.

Generally, I'm just panicked about this presentation and making it engaging in such a short amount of time.

Thanks again :smile:

Hello!

No, 5 mins isn't a long time! However, I wouldn't expect you to need to actually do the activity, just explain it.

As a food science activity, I would focus on either taste tests or hand washing. Choose what your 'topic' and learning outcome you'd want for your activity and then explain what the activity would be, the resources you'd need and how you'd allow children of all abilities to be able to access the learning. Remember, you'd want active learning from the children you were asking to do the activity, and that will also apply to the audience you present to at interview.

Once you have an outline of a plan for the presentation, let us know and we can help further! (Or you can chat directly with a Teacher Training Adviser if you'd prefer!)

Reply 4
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello!

No, 5 mins isn't a long time! However, I wouldn't expect you to need to actually do the activity, just explain it.

As a food science activity, I would focus on either taste tests or hand washing. Choose what your 'topic' and learning outcome you'd want for your activity and then explain what the activity would be, the resources you'd need and how you'd allow children of all abilities to be able to access the learning. Remember, you'd want active learning from the children you were asking to do the activity, and that will also apply to the audience you present to at interview.

Once you have an outline of a plan for the presentation, let us know and we can help further! (Or you can chat directly with a Teacher Training Adviser if you'd prefer!)

This is where it's thrown me off a little as the document they sent me with all the info on is stating i should present the 5min lesson activity as though to students. I feel as though i could present a 'lesson plan' and discuss why id do it the way I've chosen quite easily, however it is supposed to be an activity/presentation aimed at the students with "no prior knowledge of the subject".

I think i have decided to protein denaturation, this ticks the science box and i can also discuss cooking techniques, sensory attributes and food safety. Its a winner with curriculum knowledge. I just need to figure out how to plan it and try and make it as exciting as i can in 5mins on a whiteboard! GAH!

This is where it's thrown me off a little as the document they sent me with all the info on is stating i should present the 5min lesson activity as though to students. I feel as though i could present a 'lesson plan' and discuss why id do it the way I've chosen quite easily, however it is supposed to be an activity/presentation aimed at the students with "no prior knowledge of the subject".

I think i have decided to protein denaturation, this ticks the science box and i can also discuss cooking techniques, sensory attributes and food safety. Its a winner with curriculum knowledge. I just need to figure out how to plan it and try and make it as exciting as i can in 5mins on a whiteboard! GAH!

Hello!

Remember, you don't need to have the whole activity done in the time, just a 'flavor' of it. They are looking to see how you capture the attention of young people when teaching protein denaturation, how you may make it practical, easily accessible, engaging and how you explain terms that the children are not yet familiar with. Think of the 5 mins as an introduction or starter activity. Something to capture the imagination and leach the children wanting to know more! Something on the lines of this would be fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending