The Student Room Group

S6 Subject Options

Hello!:wavey: This is my first time using this so I hope it will go well!
I'm currently in S5 and I'm doing Higher Geography, Biology, Chemistry, English and Maths. I'm interested in studying Medicine at uni- what subjects I should take to Advanced Higher/ other recommended highers for S6?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chubchubbs
Hello!:wavey: This is my first time using this so I hope it will go well!
I'm currently in S5 and I'm doing Higher Geography, Biology, Chemistry, English and Maths. I'm interested in studying Medicine at uni- what subjects I should take to Advanced Higher/ other recommended highers for S6?

Hiya! I’ve applied to medicine this year and am currently in S6. I took Advanced higher chemistry and biology and I’m doing a crash higher in Psychology (which is really interesting btw). I can’t really give much advice on what helps you get in as I’ve not actually gotten offers yet! I’d say just take what you enjoy most, the UCAT and your higher results are more important when actually trying to get an interview. Hope this helps x
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by kmclean2002
Hiya! I’ve applied to uni this year and am currently in S6. I took Advanced higher chemistry and biology and I’m doing a crash higher in Psychology (which is really interesting btw). I can’t really give much advice on what helps you get in as I’ve not actually gotten offers yet! I’d say just take what you enjoy most, the UCAT and your higher results are more important when actually trying to get an interview. Hope this helps x

also applied to med school this year :smile:
I have taken advanced physics, advanced chemistry, higher biology, higher psychology and HBSF
I fully agree with you *thumbs up*
Reply 3
Hiya! I’ve applied to medicine this year and am currently in S6. I took Advanced higher chemistry and biology and I’m doing a crash higher in Psychology (which is really interesting btw). I can’t really give much advice on what helps you get in as I’ve not actually gotten offers yet! I’d say just take what you enjoy most, the UCAT and your higher results are more important when actually trying to get an interview. Hope this helps x

Thank you! In my school, we don't have higher psychology (though I'd love to have taken it this year) but we can take it at college I believe. I definitely wish to take Advanced Higher Biology+Chemistry but struggling between taking either two highers or one advanced higher (Maths). Which do you believe is less stressful/time-consuming? Also wish you the best of luck in your applications:h:
Reply 4
Advanced biology, chemistry and maths for medicine. It’s competitive so the subjects you do could help you stand out. Those are probably the best 3 subjects to do, although physics can sometimes help, but chemistry is just about always necessary. You will need at least 2 advanced highers to have a chance of meeting entry requirements for most courses I’ve seen.
Reply 5
Original post by stereotypeasian
also applied to med school this year :smile:
I have taken advanced physics, advanced chemistry, higher biology, higher psychology and HBSF
I fully agree with you *thumbs up*

Thank you for replying! I don't know how true this is but when an information evening at my school for uni's the guy there recommended me to take three Advanced highers, does it really matter though? Also whats an HBSF? Best of luck on your applications:biggrin:
Thank you for replying! I don't know how true this is but when an information evening at my school for uni's the guy there recommended me to take three Advanced highers, does it really matter though? Also whats an HBSF? Best of luck on your applications:biggrin:

I know plenty of people not taking 3 advanced highers. I'm doing an EPQ this year as well as my two advanced and one higher and I'm finding it quite a lot. I'm doing well in them all but not got much time for anything else tbh. I'm defos not one of those people that don't have to study :frown: . I would say take something you will enjoy, S6 is not supposed to be a drag :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Em.-.
Advanced biology, chemistry and maths for medicine. It’s competitive so the subjects you do could help you stand out. Those are probably the best 3 subjects to do, although physics can sometimes help, but chemistry is just about always necessary. You will need at least 2 advanced highers to have a chance of meeting entry requirements for most courses I’ve seen.

Thanks for replying!:smile: I was thinking of taking those three advanced highers as they are the only three I can take due to my school's columns and they are my best subjects at the moment. I cannot crash higher physics due to my school only allowing students to take two sciences due to the columns as well. I was thinking of taking a foundation apprenticeship (healthcare) but I am worried that may be too much work.
Reply 8
Thanks for replying!:smile: I was thinking of taking those three advanced highers as they are the only three I can take due to my school's columns and they are my best subjects at the moment. I cannot crash higher physics due to my school only allowing students to take two sciences due to the columns as well. I was thinking of taking a foundation apprenticeship (healthcare) but I am worried that may be too much work.

3 advanced highers is definitely best as remember you are trying to stand out in your application, and only taking 2 wouldn’t make you look as though you have as high a work ethic. Maths, biology and chemistry are definitely the 3 best ones for medicine and the foundation apprenticeship could help but you will have to do work experience anyway so it’s not a big deal if you feel you wouldn’t have time to do it. Good luck.
Reply 9
I know plenty of people not taking 3 advanced highers. I'm doing an EPQ this year as well as my two advanced and one higher and I'm finding it quite a lot. I'm doing well in them all but not got much time for anything else tbh. I'm defos not one of those people that don't have to study :frown: . I would say take something you will enjoy, S6 is not supposed to be a drag :smile:

Literally the same with me as well I have to study SO much harder this year to get the grades I'm happy with. I've heard higher to advanced higher is a bigger jump than nat5 to higher which kinda scares me as nat5 to higher is quite a big difference. And people I know with straight As last year are struggling to pass any of the higher tests this year.
Original post by Em.-.
3 advanced highers is definitely best as remember you are trying to stand out in your application, and only taking 2 wouldn’t make you look as though you have as high a work ethic. Maths, biology and chemistry are definitely the 3 best ones for medicine and the foundation apprenticeship could help but you will have to do work experience anyway so it’s not a big deal if you feel you wouldn’t have time to do it. Good luck.

Em... I don't really agree with the higher work ethic part, I don't take 3 Advanced Highers but I'm still working my butt off as well as being an elite gymnast on the side. It really depends on your life and how much you are willing to sacrifice for your studies. I knew I wouldn't do as well if I took 3 advanced highers due to the fact that I didn't really enjoy my other options i could take for an advanced higher, so I'd rather do really well in another higher instead. Just my opinion though...
Literally the same with me as well I have to study SO much harder this year to get the grades I'm happy with. I've heard higher to advanced higher is a bigger jump than nat5 to higher which kinda scares me as nat5 to higher is quite a big difference. And people I know with straight As last year are struggling to pass any of the higher tests this year.

It is quite a big jump, especially Chemistry. However, I've just sat my prelims and managed to get a B in both my Advanced Highers which I'm quite chuffed with at this stage. So, just work hard and you'll definitely be able to do it!

two or three advanced highers are normal cause for example Glasgow's conditions are either 3Bs at advanced higher or AB at advanced higher with crash higher B
HBSF is human body structure and function SCQF level 8, it is a college course like HNDs/HNCs, basically someone from west college of Scotland comes to my school and teaches physiology to us :biggrin:
I do know people who have taken 4 advanced highers
I do know people who have taken 4 advanced highers

wow that's impressive! My school definitely don't offer that :smile:
wow that's impressive! My school definitely don't offer that :smile:

thats cause my cause acts like a private school and has a very big fragile ego that breaks whenever we fail (anything that isn't an A) and fall done the top high schools in Scotland list

fun fact- think my school is 6th highest now when it was first only a few years back lol
thats cause my cause acts like a private school and has a very big fragile ego that breaks whenever we fail (anything that isn't an A) and fall done the top high schools in Scotland list

fun fact- think my school is 6th highest now when it was first only a few years back lol

Ahahahah yep my school is exactly like that too. If we don't get an A it's a fail. Like they don't say that but everyone knows loll
Reply 17
Em... I don't really agree with the higher work ethic part, I don't take 3 Advanced Highers but I'm still working my butt off as well as being an elite gymnast on the side. It really depends on your life and how much you are willing to sacrifice for your studies. I knew I wouldn't do as well if I took 3 advanced highers due to the fact that I didn't really enjoy my other options i could take for an advanced higher, so I'd rather do really well in another higher instead. Just my opinion though...

That’s how it will look to admission tutors, the grades are qualifications remember so if all other aspects are equal, the one with the best grades and predicted grades will get the offer. I’m just saying what would give the best chances and I only said 3 advanced highers is better than doing 2 alone. 2 Advanced Highers and a crash higher(s) is sometimes seen as equivalent, but the subjects will matter.

Chemistry, maths and biology seem to be the key medicine subjects, which every person I’ve known to have gotten an offer is doing. You could get in with other subjects (though chemistry seems essential, and biology is normally mentioned, have only seen maths be strongly advised by Cambridge and maybe a few others), but out of the ones OP is doing currently, these 3 seem to be the best.

I’m doing maths, physics and chemistry and it’s really not hard work at all, besides the projects cause Im lazy and hate practical work, but I suppose it depends on the person. So I’d recommend doing 3 advanced highers or at least 2 alongside a higher or two.
Original post by Em.-.
That’s how it will look to admission tutors, the grades are qualifications remember so if all other aspects are equal, the one with the best grades and predicted grades will get the offer. I’m just saying what would give the best chances and I only said 3 advanced highers is better than doing 2 alone. 2 Advanced Highers and a crash higher(s) is sometimes seen as equivalent, but the subjects will matter.

Chemistry, maths and biology seem to be the key medicine subjects, which every person I’ve known to have gotten an offer is doing. You could get in with other subjects (though chemistry seems essential, and biology is normally mentioned, have only seen maths be strongly advised by Cambridge and maybe a few others), but out of the ones OP is doing currently, these 3 seem to be the best.

I’m doing maths, physics and chemistry and it’s really not hard work at all, besides the projects cause Im lazy and hate practical work, but I suppose it depends on the person. So I’d recommend doing 3 advanced highers or at least 2 alongside a higher or two.

wow. You must be a genius, finding 3 advanced highers easy. I'm only doing bio and chemistry and a crash higher and I'm finding them definitely not easy. I wish I found it easy ahhaah
Original post by Em.-.

pretty sure admissions tutors and medicine application processes include the weighting of the UCAT, personal statement, band in situational judgement, interview performance rather than just subjects and predicted grades
wow I feel great now, guess I have to take a gap year according to you with my 2 advanced highers without maths and 2 crash highers before I can get into med school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending