The Student Room Group

would anaerobic organisms survive if all animals died?

if the carbon cycle was disrupted and all the plants died so then all the animals died, would the anaerobic organisms survive because they do not require oxygen? This is for my essay
Absolutely not, For so many different factors. However for your essay there is probably a specific reason/s you must address
For example, if all plants die, the process of nitrification will render passive. Nitrogen in the amino groups of amino acids and in the nucleotides of organisms proves vital to life.
Although a questionable theory, it is much rather debunked.
Or, quite simply the lactic acid built up by anaerobic respiration must be oxidised to CO2 and Water later, if this does not occur, the organism will cramp up and ultimately lead to complete muscle failure.
The majority of organisms on earth are specific to earth and have adapted to earth in its own sense.
The short answer: no! even anaerobic organisms need organic substances to survive.

The longest and extensive answer: see above!
(edited 4 years ago)
thank you for your replies, i won't but in this false statement then :smile: i just assumed
Original post by miriamrowsome
if the carbon cycle was disrupted and all the plants died so then all the animals died, would the anaerobic organisms survive because they do not require oxygen? This is for my essay

Almost certainly yes. Its difficult to say what that kind of situation would look like as we've had photosynthesis/oxygen now for a good 2 billion years and everything has adapted to that. Nevertheless, anaerobes were here a god billion years before there was any oxygen, and in such a situation I am confident they would survive. Thrive, even!
Original post by MattClaw
For example, if all plants die, the process of nitrification will render passive. Nitrogen in the amino groups of amino acids and in the nucleotides of organisms proves vital to life.

...what? In the nitrogen cycle, anaerobic bacteria are what fixes nitrogen. Those anaerobic bacteria would be fine with no oxygen around! In fact, oxygen kills them - that's why they live hidden in the ground!

Or, quite simply the lactic acid built up by anaerobic respiration must be oxidised to CO2 and Water later, if this does not occur, the organism will cramp up and ultimately lead to complete muscle failure.

Another :lolwut:

Anaerobic bacteria do not keep their lactic acid - it is excreted as waste. They cannot use oxygen - they are anaerobic i.e. they do not use oxgyen! That's their definition! And there are no anaerobic organisms that have muscles, so that's kind of off the table too!

Original post by Kallisto
The short answer: no! even anaerobic organisms need organic organisms to survive.

Anaerobic organisms are organic.

And they really don't. Consider bacteria thousands of metres under the sea around volcanic vents. Or bacteria living on the outside of spacecraft! Not many oxygen-dependent organisms in those conditions!
@nexttime

I was just thinking about the anerobic organisms below the ground level. Organisms which break biomass (organic substances) down to leave minerals, ammonia, carbon dioxide and hydrogensulfide for plants as nutrients. But if they count to anaerobic - and I didn't know - you are right. Thank you so much.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
@nexttime

I was just thinking about the anerobic organisms below the ground level. Organisms which break biomass (organic substances) down to leave minerals, ammonia, carbon dioxide and hydrogensulfide for plants as nutrients. But if they count to anaerobic - and I didn't know - you are right. Thank you so much.

Anaerobes are a whole class of organism that existed a billion years before oxygen did :tongue: There are a good few billion inside your gut now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending