The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc Social Science of the Internet (Oxford Internet Institute) 2020-21

Hey! I saw they had a forum last year where people posted when they got interviews or got decisions back and such so I figured I would make one for this year. Good luck to everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Applied to this course and I am really curious about the interview rate?

First I thought most applicants would get an interview invitation but a friend who is currently studying at OII told me this course only interviews those with a less clear research interest..
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by UuSparkingTs
Applied to this course and I am really curious about the interview rate?

First I thought most applicants would get an interview invitation but a friend who is currently studying at OII told me this course only interviews those with a less clear research interest..

That's interesting to know. Does it mean that there are some people getting the offer without an interview?
Original post by shawns
That's interesting to know. Does it mean that there are some people getting the offer without an interview?

According to my friend, yes; I'm not 100% sure though.
Reply 4
Original post by UuSparkingTs
According to my friend, yes; I'm not 100% sure though.

Can confirm based on conservations with people admitted. I'm not sure about the percentage but there are definitely people admitted with no interview. The criteria on the website says: "If a student clearly exceeds all the admission criteria and their proposed research is innovative and can be supervised at the Oxford Internet Institute then they may be made an offer without an interview."
Reply 5
I have also applied to this course for the November deadline. My background is in political science, hoping to study impact of new media on campaigns and political communication.
What are other people's research interests? It seems like a very diverse mix of students which is one of the things that drew me to the program.
Reply 6
Hey guys! I'm wondering if anyone that applied to the January deadline for this program received any news about interviews?
Original post by cailinh
Hey guys! I'm wondering if anyone that applied to the January deadline for this program received any news about interviews?

I applied for MSc Social Science of the Internet for the January deadline. Haven‘t heard anything back yet though. How about you?
Reply 8
Original post by rmm96
I applied for MSc Social Science of the Internet for the January deadline. Haven‘t heard anything back yet though. How about you?

Nope, no word yet. Hopefully, we hear something within the next two weeks..
Yeah, that’s what I am hoping for too. Is this your first choice? What else did you apply for, may I ask? Since this is quite an unusual course and institute.
Original post by cailinh
Reply 10
Original post by rmm96
Yeah, that’s what I am hoping for too. Is this your first choice? What else did you apply for, may I ask? Since this is quiteYes, this program is my first choice! The moment I read about the program I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm also applying to environmental economics programs at UCL, LSE, and Imperial. What about you? an unusual course and institute.

Yes, this program is my first choice! The moment I read about the program I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm also applying to environmental economics programs at UCL, LSE, and Imperial. What about you?
Applied for January deadline and no news yet. If anyone had received an interview invite could you please let me know? Good luck.
Original post by cailinh

Have you received an interview invite this week? Still nothing for me here...
Reply 13
Original post by garfy777
Have you received an interview invite this week? Still nothing for me here..

Nope... absolutely nothing. The silence is killing me. Into week 6 and I don't know if anyone has heard anything yet..
Original post by cailinh
Nope... absolutely nothing. The silence is killing me. Into week 6 and I don't know if anyone has heard anything yet..

First day of week 7 and still no news on my end. I would have thought that at least the interview invitations would have gone out by now.
Reply 15
Original post by rmm96
First day of week 7 and still no news on my end. I would have thought that at least the interview invitations would have gone out by now.

Right?! It's really bizarre. It seems like this also happened last year due to technical difficulties but I haven't heard anything about that yet. Tempted to email about it.
Reply 16
Hey guys, I haven't heard back either and am getting nervous. Do we know for sure that interview invitations have not been sent out yet? Do you know any other people who have applied? Maybe it would indeed be good to contact the department and ask for clarification.
I haven't heard back either.
Reply 18
Hi! Same with me, I have applied by the Jan deadline and nothing yet.
Got admitted by the social science of the internet today without an interview. Good luck to all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending