The Student Room Group

Shamima Begum, convicted terrorist, loses British citizenship

Oh dear, how sad.

I look forward to Channel 4 presenting her as a poor girl who was persuaded to join Daesh by EvUl ToRy ScUm.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiberOfLondon
Oh dear, how sad.

I look forward to Channel 4 presenting her as a poor girl who was persuaded to join Daesh by EvUl ToRy ScUm.

That doesnt make much sense? I thought Daesh lured her away? Why are you calling the Tories scum and why do you change from upper to lower and then upper case again. That is a bit disturbing. Cant say I care about Begum, she made her choice and at the age she did I think she was old enough to do so.
Good, she is a danger to our society.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
That doesnt make much sense? I thought Daesh lured her away? Why are you calling the Tories scum and why do you change from upper to lower and then upper case again. That is a bit disturbing. Cant say I care about Begum, she made her choice and at the age she did I think she was old enough to do so.

Alternating between upper and lower case is meant to indicate sarcasm (and is usually the most obvious way of doing so by text)
Regardless of what you think re a 15 year old girl being groomed and recruited by a terrorist organisation, this is a deeply worrying ruling. She doesn't actually have Bangladeshi citizenship, iirc they've said they wouldn't grant it. That they've decided to take away her citizenship and make her stateless on the basis that she could theoretically be entitled to citizenship of another country means that the citizenship of any Brit with foreign heritage is not secure, that the government could strip it from them based on their political goals.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Regardless of what you think re a 15 year old girl being groomed and recruited by a terrorist organisation, this is a deeply worrying ruling. She doesn't actually have Bangladeshi citizenship, iirc they've said they wouldn't grant it. That they've decided to take away her citizenship and make her stateless on the basis that she could theoretically be entitled to citizenship of another country means that the citizenship of any Brit with foreign heritage is not secure, that the government could strip it from them based on their political goals.

I think this a rather extraordinary case.

I doubt the government will be turning people stateless anytime soon for their political goals.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
I think this a rather extraordinary case.

I doubt the government will be turning people stateless anytime soon for their political goals.

In that she was a member of a terrorist organisation yes, however we are globally on the slide back towards fascism with leaders like Duerte, Trump, Bolsanaro, Orban, the current state in Germany (which those of us who paid attention in history are warning and being treated like Cassandra for it). Currently the government isn't going to make people stateless for it's own ends, however wind forward 5 years and if its politically expedient this will have been extended to other "serious crimes".
Original post by ColinDent
Good, she is a danger to our society.

Bang on.

Oh dear, how sad.

Mate I got a permanent warning on here for voicing my opinion on this waste of human tissue. The person I was replying too was a terrorist sympathiser and was later banned on the same thread. I'd say everything I said again, without a thought! Therefore, this will be my first and last post on this thread

This is good news and sets and example to others. She is scum who admitted she feels no remorse or shame, she has even said she found severed heads of innocent victims in the dustbin and felt no emotion.

Shes scum and I'm glad our government are making a stand against scum like her, zero tolerance :congrats: good work the home office.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah let her rot and Syria and the human rights do-gooders that seek to defend her behviour should go join her there asap!
Reply 9
In principal i too agree with SLF that governments should not remove citizenship in case where one would be stateless.

In practice, she willingly joined an organisation that opposes our very way of life and at a minimum has provided aid to terrorists in addition to joining a proscribed terrorist organisation but until legislation is amended to allow for this to be regarded as treason i firmly believe that she is a threat to society.

So far as i am concerned she has committed treason and she should be executed for it. Until that penalty is enshrined in law, i won't lose any sleep.
Original post by The Mogg
Alternating between upper and lower case is meant to indicate sarcasm (and is usually the most obvious way of doing so by text)

Ok have some rep. Still doesnt make that much sense though.
Reply 11
Original post by Burton Bridge
Bang on.

Mate I got a permanent warning on here for voicing my opinion on this waste of human tissue. The person I was replying too was a terrorist sympathiser and was later banned on the same thread. I'd say everything I said again, without a thought! Therefore, this will be my first and last post on this thread

This is good news and sets and example to others. She is scum who admitted she feels no remorse or shame, she has even said she found severed heads of innocent victims in the dustbin and felt no emotion.

Shes scum and I'm glad our government are making a stand against scum like her, zero tolerance :congrats: good work the home office.

No no no, don't let the authoritarian dictators at TSR HQ silence your opinion. Let it all out.
Reply 12
Good. Really annoys me how people try and defend her based on her age. She was 15, not 5. Perfectly capable of making decisions for herself and the decision she made was to join an organization which opposes the British way of life and has caused the deaths of innocent British citizens. She has no justifiable right to a British citizenship.
What makes her an actual terror?
lovely, next?
Now give a her a nice shiny red hat so the drone pilot knows where to aim. :biggrin:
Original post by 999tigger

I was satirising Channel 4 being lefties by using a lefty slogan ”Tory Scum” in a sarcastic way.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Bang on.

I got a posting tip for referring to a human being with a penis, a beard and XY chromosomes as ”he” whilst someone in that thread got away with making anti-Catholic remarks of the ”FeNiAn PaEdOs” variety.

Funny old world, innit?
Original post by Rakas21
In principal i too agree with SLF that governments should not remove citizenship in case where one would be stateless.

In practice, she willingly joined an organisation that opposes our very way of life and at a minimum has provided aid to terrorists in addition to joining a proscribed terrorist organisation but until legislation is amended to allow for this to be regarded as treason i firmly believe that she is a threat to society.

So far as i am concerned she has committed treason and she should be executed for it. Until that penalty is enshrined in law, i won't lose any sleep.

Whilst the gallows is an attractive solution for terrorists, you run the risk of making them martyrs, with all the propaganda and (according to Sunni Muslim theology) 72 virgins that entails.

Build a detention centre on the Shetland Islands, and give all terrorists, whether they be Islamic, far-right, far-left, dissident republican or eco-terrorist, and for whatever terrorist offenses, the same sentence. Give them all life, without chance of parole and in solitary confinement, and only given the necessities of life - medical treatment, bread and water, a small cell and enough heat to keep them from freezing to death.

If this were to be implemented, and police were commanded only to shoot terrorists with effective tranquilisers and then take them to this detention centre, I feel that Daesh, al-Shabab, National Action, Class War and the Animal Liberation Front would very quickly shut up shop.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
What makes her an actual terror?

She was a sharia law enforcer and she was stitching together suicide vests... pure gold :biggrin:
I was satirising Channel 4 being lefties by using a lefty slogan ”Tory Scum” in a sarcastic way.

Still doesnt make much sense and wasnt what happened.
There were serious arguments as to why states shouldnt remove citizenship and why she might be allowed back.
I hear this word "radicalised" a lot thrown about on the news. If that's what caused her to join this group ( being radicalised in Britain), then why shouldn't Britain deal with the problem? Rather than throwing her away to Bangladesh I think it was? She wasn't "radicalised" (if that's even a thing in the sense that it's used in the news) in Bangladesh, now they have to deal with her; yeah good for us, but it's unscrupulous to dump your problems on another country.
It's easy to feel emotion and I initially thought good leave the ***** there, but actions taken in these circumstances aren't supposed to determined by emotions but by austere, rigid rules.
On the other hand, with the lack of security in British prisons, I fear that her returning will create devastating consequences, with years in the failed Daesh, her connections to terrorists who exist in this country can cost lives. But there should be measures to prevent that, however I have little confidence that this country will prevent that with how they've treated terrorists in the past; it's almost always someone who was under surveillance or let out early or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending