The Student Room Group

Is it wise to get rid of my diesel car now?

Seeing though all these congestion laws are spreading like fires throughout the UK? And I heard in a few years you won’t be legally allowed to drive diesel cars.
Drive your diesel into the ground and then replace it with whatever seems best at the time.
Its lots of scaremongering going around about those issue of diesel cars,If its sort of modern vehicle then you should be okay with congestion laws as long its euro 5 or euro 6 engines things should be okay and its a low co2 emissions, all new diesels cars from 2017 onwards should comply with the tighter emissions laws with having euro 6 engines and adblu additives as that will help clean the emissions out from the car. I don't believe in getting a electric car because not economical due to short range of miles you getting from them to plus where you charge it to .Keep your current car until such time its costing you money in huge repair bills and see how the market is and how things will be with those congestion laws etc.From 2035 apparently but their will be a certain time after that date to allow everyone to change over to hopefully better electric car or a better alternative green car, then gaunantee the government will up the road tax of zero to whatever they feel like as another way to tax those of electric car's etc just like they did when they eventually realised everyone was buying cars with cheap road tax and now they up it upto a minimum of £150 plus rises to. No win situation for the government.
Original post by Allyson90
Its lots of scaremongering going around about those issue of diesel cars,If its sort of modern vehicle then you should be okay with congestion laws as long its euro 5 or euro 6 engines things should be okay and its a low co2 emissions, all new diesels cars from 2017 onwards should comply with the tighter emissions laws with having euro 6 engines and adblu additives as that will help clean the emissions out from the car. I don't believe in getting a electric car because not economical due to short range of miles you getting from them to plus where you charge it to .Keep your current car until such time its costing you money in huge repair bills and see how the market is and how things will be with those congestion laws etc.From 2035 apparently but their will be a certain time after that date to allow everyone to change over to hopefully better electric car or a better alternative green car, then gaunantee the government will up the road tax of zero to whatever they feel like as another way to tax those of electric car's etc just like they did when they eventually realised everyone was buying cars with cheap road tax and now they up it upto a minimum of £150 plus rises to. No win situation for the government.

This whole 2035 thing with “greener” cars, surely the government will have to compensate those who have to go buy a “greener” car?? Like come out with some sort of scrapage scheme that is beneficial? Or do you think they will just say get a greener car or don’t drive?
Original post by ThuggerThugger
This whole 2035 thing with “greener” cars, surely the government will have to compensate those who have to go buy a “greener” car?? Like come out with some sort of scrapage scheme that is beneficial? Or do you think they will just say get a greener car or don’t drive?

The scrap scheme will likely involve handing over the car, paying them the money, and then getting a fine.
Original post by StriderHort
The scrap scheme will likely involve handing over the car, paying them the money, and then getting a fine.

Lol
Seeing though all these congestion laws are spreading like fires throughout the UK? And I heard in a few years you won’t be legally allowed to drive diesel cars.

imo depends where you are, but probably better to hold off.

Diesels are only worse in dense populated areas where NOx & PM can build up in the air, hence could be hit harder by localised emission zones, but atm there arent too many of these, if you drive into central london everyday this may be more of a dilemma in your everyday town should be fine.
Reply 7
My partner and I live rurally and will be holding on to our diesels for as long as possible. There are decent park-and-rides available if we need to go into Bath or Bristol (both of which are already a nightmare to drive in anyway and cost a small fortune to park for a few hours even before they bring in diesel bans/levies) and everything is pretty spread out around here so diesels make sense for us right now.

Plus we have no driveway, so electric cars wouldn't suit us at all. My partner could probably charge her car out the front of the house but we'd have to leave the cable running across the pavement, but my car is in our car park around the back and would require the cable navigating the neighbour's garden and then 10 metres across the car park. No bueno. I am tempted to pick up an older car and convert it to electric one day though, once the whole thing becomes more viable. Rock one electric and one ICE for a few years until the infrastructure/technology improves further.
Original post by Nuffles

Plus we have no driveway, so electric cars wouldn't suit us at all. My partner could probably charge her car out the front of the house but we'd have to leave the cable running across the pavement, but my car is in our car park around the back and would require the cable navigating the neighbour's garden and then 10 metres across the car park. No bueno. I am tempted to pick up an older car and convert it to electric one day though, once the whole thing becomes more viable. Rock one electric and one ICE for a few years until the infrastructure/technology improves further.

I actually saw my neighbour try and run an extension cable out his ground floor window and across the friggin road :tongue:

We will all need to see what the government plans are for this as I wouldn't trust them right now,
There was a incentive not so long ago for people to change over to electric cars but the government stopped that and now they expect us to buy one - the costs is too expensive for them, you don't get enough miles from them either, you need to pay for hirage of the batteries on top of the car cost , technology has improved a lot since they first introduced electric cars but the miles you get from current ones hasn't and where's the incentive to go and get one like.

They need to obviously give a big scrappage deal for to encourage everyone to go into electric cars but need the infrastructure to charge them to before doing anything like.
I think that the government will make it impossible for us to drive the current vehicles we have so we will go and buy one and them hammer us for the prevlidges in going green with huge road tax and up costs of charging your car to because it won't benefit us I think and that's my opinion and everyone else will have a different one .

Quick Reply

Latest