The Student Room Group

Applying For Aid For A Second Undergraduate Degree

Hi, I’m currently in final year of a BA in English and Anthropology in Ireland only to have realised it isn’t what I want to pursue and I’ve been looking for a dance course which is my passion. I’ve been dancing for years and I’ve realised it’s what I want to do as a career. Unfortunately there are no long term dance degrees based on urban dance in Ireland but there is one in UEL It’s called Urban Dance Practice. My question is, is there any other forms of student aid available as it says on the student finance website that people with a degree who are applying for their second will most likely not get approved. The total tuition for the course plus housing is adding up to around 45 thousand pounds and I only work a small part time job 12 hours a week so it’s going to be impossible for me to pay it myself. I’d appreciate any info anyone has about other forms of aid offered in the UK.
Thanks
Original post by Zaha2122
Hi, I’m currently in final year of a BA in English and Anthropology in Ireland only to have realised it isn’t what I want to pursue and I’ve been looking for a dance course which is my passion. I’ve been dancing for years and I’ve realised it’s what I want to do as a career. Unfortunately there are no long term dance degrees based on urban dance in Ireland but there is one in UEL It’s called Urban Dance Practice. My question is, is there any other forms of student aid available as it says on the student finance website that people with a degree who are applying for their second will most likely not get approved. The total tuition for the course plus housing is adding up to around 45 thousand pounds and I only work a small part time job 12 hours a week so it’s going to be impossible for me to pay it myself. I’d appreciate any info anyone has about other forms of aid offered in the UK.
Thanks

Who is funding your BA? Are you being funded by Irish student finance or say student finance England? Need this information first. although its not positive either way.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Who is funding your BA? Are you being funded by Irish student finance or say student finance England? Need this information first. although its not positive either way.

Currently I’m being funded by the Irish government but even if I was to drop out to pursue the dance course as it would still count as me studying my second undergraduate degree, I still wouldn’t qualify. It’s more that my parents want me to have a “real” degree to fall back on because they’re scared I’ll struggle to find employment with a degree in dance.
Original post by Zaha2122
Currently I’m being funded by the Irish government but even if I was to drop out to pursue the dance course as it would still count as me studying my second undergraduate degree, I still wouldn’t qualify. It’s more that my parents want me to have a “real” degree to fall back on because they’re scared I’ll struggle to find employment with a degree in dance.

If you dropped out for MH reasons diagnosed by your doctor then you could apply for compelling personal reasons, which if passed would amount to you being awarded one years finance back. That would amount to 2 years if you havent used previous finance so you just have to find fees for year 1. You wouldnt get a maintenance grant though.

If you complete your degree, then you should check with SFE, but I believe any spare gift year would be lost, but check with sfe.

SFE only finance second degrees in areas of shortage such as nursing and allied health care or part time for certain sciences. You get finance for one degree and thats it.

You could possibly consider a masters degree which gives a £10,000 loan for everything.

https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=dance&SearchSubmit=SearchSubmit&ProviderText=&SubjectText=&AutoSuggestType=&filters=Destination_Postgraduate&AcademicYearId=2020&RegionDistancePostcode=&DistanceFromPostcode=25mi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending