The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL vs U of T

Hi! I'm a grade 12 student currently studying in HK and have received conditional offers from UCL and U of T, and I'm struggling between the two. The subject I've applied to both unis is anthropology. For UCL, it is certainly more prestigious academic-wise (UCL ranked 5th n UoT ranked 12th in QS subject ranking). But since I am a Canadian citizen and u of t offered me a scholarship, I don't need to pay for studying in u of t, while studying in UCL would cost me 30,000 pounds a year. I know that UCL is pretty famous in the field of sociology and anthropology, but I'm not sure about u of t's reputation in this area of studies. Perhaps we've got some anthro guys here that knows about these unis??
I study at UCL and would highly recommend it.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Joon's glasses
Hi! I'm a grade 12 student currently studying in HK and have received conditional offers from UCL and U of T, and I'm struggling between the two. The subject I've applied to both unis is anthropology. For UCL, it is certainly more prestigious academic-wise (UCL ranked 5th n UoT ranked 12th in QS subject ranking). But since I am a Canadian citizen and u of t offered me a scholarship, I don't need to pay for studying in u of t, while studying in UCL would cost me 30,000 pounds a year. I know that UCL is pretty famous in the field of sociology and anthropology, but I'm not sure about u of t's reputation in this area of studies. Perhaps we've got some anthro guys here that knows about these unis??

It's simply not worth it...that's why I'm not doing my Master in the UK, but rather in the Netherlands. Ranking is similar i looked at a uni in the UK... Priced at £17,500 vs Netherlands €2,143 due to my European citizenship....a rankings difference of a mere 20 places globally... So 50 (UK) vs. 73 (Netherlands). A few places on a ranking list don't justify financial ruin. Once you've reached a certain level of University (top 100) your fine. If you had an offer for Oxbridge vs U of T ok...one could consider the cost. But in your field, you'll never recoup the cost. Besides i study at the University of Nottingham...we have several business school professors who went to U of T. Not a bad university at all for a global career.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
It's simply not worth it...that's why I'm not doing my Master in the UK, but rather in the Netherlands. Ranking is similar i looked at a uni in the UK... Priced at £17,500 vs Netherlands €2,143 due to my European citizenship....a rankings difference of a mere 20 places globally... So 50 (UK) vs. 73 (Netherlands). A few places on a ranking list don't justify financial ruin. Once you've reached a certain level of University (top 100) your fine. If you had an offer for Oxbridge vs U of T ok...one could consider the cost. But in your field, you'll never recoup the cost. Besides i study at the University of Nottingham...we have several business school professors who went to U of T. Not a bad university at all for a global career.

agree with the oxbridge point... it’s just that when I talk to some of my friends about it they reckon that UK would be a more suitable place given what I’ll be studying... like the entire atmosphere and reputation of UCL seems to make it a better place to study anthropology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending