The Student Room Group

Chemical Bonding

How to know the shape of the molecule is symmetrical or asymmrtrical ?
To identify whether is polar or non polar molecules
Reply 1
Original post by Sasha Shasha
How to know the shape of the molecule is symmetrical or asymmrtrical ?
To identify whether is polar or non polar molecules

Which spec are you doing?
Original post by Pigster
Which spec are you doing?

For example, a molecule of carbon dioxide has two carbon—oxygen bonds that are polar due to the electronegativity difference between the carbon and oxygen atoms.
But it has no net dipole moment because its symmetrical
Dipoles cancel out , why and how ? How to know which one is symmetrical
For example, a molecule of carbon dioxide has two carbon—oxygen bonds that are polar due to the electronegativity difference between the carbon and oxygen atoms.

Determining whether something is symmetrical or not is quite simple, and I assume you can do this

Electronegativity is the ability of an atom to attract electrons in a covalent bond; let’s just call this the ‘pull’ of electrons
If you consider that in a carbon dioxide molecule both C=O bonds are of the same electronegativity, then the ‘pull’ of electrons on one side of the molecule is the same as the ‘pull’ of electrons on the other side of the molecule
Therefore the dipoles cancel out because on both sides of the molecule, there’s no overall ‘pull’ of electrons, and so there’s no net dipole
This is due to the molecule being symmetrical, i.e. quite simply, one side of the molecule is identical to the other side, and thus both sides will counteract each other

If you were to take an asymmetrical molecule, you’d see that it does have a net dipole, for reasons opposite to above
Consider the following simple molecules: methane, chloromethane, dichloromethane, trichloromethane and tetrachloromethane
If you have a quick search on Wikipedia for these molecules, you’ll see that the dipole moments of them change with how symmetrical they are; this is such that methane and tetrachloromethane have no dipole moment, as they are completely symmetrical
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4

Depening on which exam board you do, there are shortcuts.
Original post by Kian Stevens
Determining whether something is symmetrical or not is quite simple, and I assume you can do this

Electronegativity is the ability of an atom to attract electrons in a covalent bond; let’s just call this the ‘pull’ of electrons
If you consider that in a carbon dioxide molecule both C=O bonds are of the same electronegativity, then the ‘pull’ of electrons on one side of the molecule is the same as the ‘pull’ of electrons on the other side of the molecule
Therefore the dipoles cancel out because on both sides of the molecule, there’s no overall ‘pull’ of electrons, and so there’s no net dipole
This is due to the molecule being symmetrical, i.e. quite simply, one side of the molecule is identical to the other side, and thus both sides will counteract each other

If you were to take an asymmetrical molecule, you’d see that it does have a net dipole, for reasons opposite to above
Consider the following simple molecules: methane, chloromethane, dichloromethane, trichloromethane and tetrachloromethane
If you have a quick search on Wikipedia for these molecules, you’ll see that the dipole moments of them change with how symmetrical they are; this is such that methane and tetrachloromethane have no dipole moment, as they are completely symmetrical

But carbon dioxide molecule both C=O bonds are of the different electronegativity
Original post by Pigster
Depening on which exam board you do, there are shortcuts.

A level
Reply 7
A level

OCR A/B? Edexcel? AQA? etc.
Original post by Pigster
OCR A/B? Edexcel? AQA? etc.

CIE
Carbon dioxide is a linear molecule, so the pull of electrons from one C=O bond is directly opposed by that of the other C=O bond. This means that the molecule is symmetrical, and hence the opposing pulls cancel out and the strongest intermolecukar force possible is only induced dipole/Van der Waals forces.

To find out the shape of a molecule, use VSEPR rules, or sometimes it can just be drawn out in displayed formula.
CIE

According to the examples on your spec, if a molecule has no lone pairs, then it will be symmetrical, the dipoles will cancel out and it will be non-polar.

If it has lone pairs, they won't and it won't.
Original post by Pigster
According to the examples on your spec, if a molecule has no lone pairs, then it will be symmetrical, the dipoles will cancel out and it will be non-polar.

If it has lone pairs, they won't and it won't.

For clarity, I assume you mean that the central atom has no lone pairs, not the molecule itself?
Original post by Kian Stevens
For clarity, I assume you mean that the central atom has no lone pairs, not the molecule itself?

Good point, that's exactly what I meant - CO2 has no lp on the central C, but the lp on each of the O atoms have no effect on the shape around the C.
Original post by Pigster
Good point, that's exactly what I meant - CO2 has no lp on the central C, but the lp on each of the O atoms have no effect on the shape around the C.

How about in Cis trans isomerism ? Why trans isomer is more symmetrical

Quick Reply

Latest