The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Let's just respect what Phillip says. If he says he is gay, he is gay not bi. Maybe he knew he was for a while but was just so uncomfortable about it he swept it under the carpet.

And this is coming from a relative (he is my second cousin, but I have never met him).

When I saw him weeping on TV I just wanted to give him a big hug...

And of course it must be torture for his wife and kids as well. It's tough as it is, but for all this to play out in the media spotlight...
Original post by tyke_
Phillip has said he is gay. Going by all definitions he is bi. Unless in the time since he ****ed his wife he has lost interest sexually in women.

How much of a toss do you think Philip cares about the definitions? If he says he's gay I don't see the point in standing with a dictionary in hand telling him he's wrong.
At least this will stop my Nan fancying him I suppose.
Original post by Paracosm
I find it funny that any of you feel you have the right to speculate and/or redefine someone's own sexuality? It's precisely none of your business and your speculative opinion on what his sexuality is 'actually' is not relevant.

If it's none of people's business why are these people coming out to the world through the media? Surely them coming out in this way means they feel it is other people's business.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 84
I'm inclined to ask why does anyone care whom or what he likes to have sex with?
Reply 85
Original post by Napp
I'm inclined to ask why does anyone care whom or what he likes to have sex with?

It's the fact that he waited 27 years and what that says about human nature and British society, How it was in the 90s when he got married? And today this is you. Affects a number of people in their personal lives
Original post by StriderHort
Not huge surprise, must be a slightly odd home life, but none of my particular business.

I didn’t think he was lol. I don’t see how it was obvious either.
Original post by ANM775
saw the topic title and thought it was a troll topic at first.

tbh i don't think phillip is gay. one does not get to 57, father two children, have a long and happy marriage and then simply stop being attracted to women and become attracted to men.

more likely he was actually bi, but got influenced by lgbt media ...and has decided he likes men more than women so has decided to declare himself gay

You do know Oscar Wilde was married and had a family, don’t you?
Original post by 04MR17
At least this will stop my Nan fancying him I suppose.

That never stopped my nan and Paul o Grady :tongue:
Original post by NJA
People have been calling in to LBC with their stories and a couple make the point that you cannot claim adultery when the partner has been with someone of the same sex, the victim ends up paying four times as much to get divorced

This is rubbish. Playing away with a person of the same sex or with next door’s Labrador would ground an unreasonable behaviour divorce petition which would be as quick and straightforward as an adultery petition.
(edited 4 years ago)
Homophobic people decrying him for 'lying' for so long do not realise that they perpetuate the issue.
If people were not homophobic then people would not feel compelled to try to meet society's 'norms'.
People think these types of marriages are a thing of the past but unfortunately they are still around today especially in religious communities where it is very taboo. A simple search of 'convenience marriages' will reveal the lengths some people have to go to in order to live safely and as authentically as possible.
Being against gay people does not remove their existence it simply forces them into situations such as this which homophobes later complain shouldn't have happened.
It is easy to sit here as a gay person and say well it's not fair on his wife etc, which unfortunately it is probably difficult for her. However I have the luxury of living in this time where homophobia is gradually declining.
It must have been incredibly difficult to live as a gay man during the height of the AIDs epidemic so although perhaps not the most ideal situation you can understand why he did what he did.
I don't really see how this changes too much, it is possible to love someone without being sexually attracted to them and he will obviously still love his children.
As for what label he decides to use that is entirely his own business and people would do well to respect that.
(edited 4 years ago)
https://everydayfeminism.com/2012/10/fluid-sexuality-lgbtq-spectrum/
sexual fluidity is a thing. and just because someone is sexually fluid, it doesn't mean they made a conscious choice to change their sexuality, it can depend on a variety of externals factors outside of their control.
regardless if he says he is gay, he is gay. he knows him better than we know him.
also its possible he is biromantic homosexual- romantically attracted to both genders but only sexually attracted to only men so maybe he was in love with his wife. of course it's really none of our business, I am trying to show a lot of different types of sexuality exists other than the popular labels: straight, gay, lesbian and bisexual
(edited 4 years ago)
His career might have prevented him coming out sooner, apparently it was only acceptable to be a paedophile or sexual deviant in the television industry.
Original post by Occitanie
I didn’t think he was lol. I don’t see how it was obvious either.

Ah, I'll take it you never watched the Smash Hits Awards as a kid? :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was obvious, I sad it wasn't a huge surprise.
(edited 4 years ago)

I’m still waiting for the broom cupboard jokes....
That would be my worst nightmare, feel sorry for his wife and children. After 27 years?
This puts me off marriage lol.

Never did.

Some people are making it out to be obvious. Anyway it’s a bit of a non story
Original post by Occitanie
Never did.

Some people are making it out to be obvious. Anyway it’s a bit of a non story

Joesph and his technicolour dreamcoat? that had more than a hint of the Fabulous about it :tongue:

As said, I see no point in sneering that I knew, as I didn't. just not surprised. Like if Trump announced he was gay, that would surprise me.
Tbf you can't expect a tory to care about others feelings 🥴

Latest

Trending

Trending