The Student Room Group

What has been the worst decade for Music?

i would say i hate most 70s music , just awful.

Scroll to see replies

The last one. Closely followed by the 1270's - the ones Before Christ, obviously.
Original post by FemaleinDress
i would say i hate most 70s music , just awful.

You say “most”, what do you like from the 70s?

I’m going to say anything from the 2010s onwards, and everything that comes out tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, and the year after that. Nothing, I repeat, nothing beats the 1970s. Best time to be alive. Shame I will never have witnessed it in person :/
Original post by Occitanie
Nothing, I repeat, nothing beats the 1970s. Best time to be alive. Shame I will never have witnessed it in person :/

Idk man... The 70's were killing it with music, but the 80's really pulled the big guns out imo.
50’s music
50s
Nothing good came out before Death's Scream Bloody Gore except for like a handful of Punk songs :smile:
Probably this decade, if I'm honest.

The 2000's had some bangers, but I'm more a fan of 60's/70's/80's stuff.
Original post by MidgetFever
Probably this decade, if I'm honest.

The 2000's had some bangers, but I'm more a fan of 60's/70's/80's stuff.

completely disagree here.
The 2010s were awesome for weird harsh agressive bands.
Death Grips is possibly the most unique band I've ever heard and they formed in 2010.
Loathe have been pushing metalcore to really cool places (and they're a local band to me so they're even sicker)
Stuff like Deafheaven couldn't have existed before the 2010s.
but obviously that's all niche weird stuff which has definetly gone up over the past few years as far as mainstream stuff goes tho I've never been interested
Original post by Yukikobestgirl
completely disagree here.
The 2010s were awesome for weird harsh agressive bands.
Death Grips is possibly the most unique band I've ever heard and they formed in 2010.
Loathe have been pushing metalcore to really cool places (and they're a local band to me so they're even sicker)
Stuff like Deafheaven couldn't have existed before the 2010s.
but obviously that's all niche weird stuff which has definetly gone up over the past few years as far as mainstream stuff goes tho I've never been interested

Not bands I've heard of, personally. I'll check them out though, I'm always open to try new music.

The only notable unique band I think I've heard in these past few years is Polyphia, really pushed me into the whole math-rock thing, but even that they manage to combine that with hip-hop sort of sounds, they have a really interesting sound.
Original post by MidgetFever
Not bands I've heard of, personally. I'll check them out though, I'm always open to try new music.

The only notable unique band I think I've heard in these past few years is Polyphia, really pushed me into the whole math-rock thing, but even that they manage to combine that with hip-hop sort of sounds, they have a really interesting sound.

Fair enough.
Been loads of good rap music recently too like Denzel Curry but it's just music has became more accessible so there's more bad music, but I'd say overall for my tastes this last decade and the 90s are the best ones
Anyone who says anything other than 2010-2019 needs their head tested.

Since then, the worst decade for music was 50s, with each decade before that progressively worse.
I dunno, the twenties already look a bit of a blocked toilet...
Original post by StriderHort
I dunno, the twenties already look a bit of a blocked toilet...

really?
Yesterday had the new Denzel and Loathe albums come out and both were at least 8.5/10 for me and they#re very different alvums. Already having 2 brilliant albums in just more than a month of the decade seems a good start
Nothing good came out before Death's Scream Bloody Gore except for like a handful of Punk songs :smile:

Well that's obviously wrong because that album was released May 25th 1987 whereas Bathory's 'Under The Sign of The Black Mark' was released May the 11th of the same year and absolutely blows 'Scream Bloody Gore' out of the water. And I say that as someone who owns a physical copy of 'Scream Bloody Gore'. So even if you only liked Extreme Metal aside from a few Punk songs you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Well that's obviously wrong because that album was released May 25th 1987 whereas Bathory's 'Under The Sign of The Black Mark' was released May the 11th of the same year and absolutely blows 'Scream Bloody Gore' out of the water. And I say that as someone who owns a physical copy of 'Scream Bloody Gore'. So even if you only liked Extreme Metal aside from a few Punk songs you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

fair enough. not really gave Bathory a try to be fair.
The best song to come out in 87 is probably Chainsaw Guts**** by Mayhem though, truly a timeless classic
Even so my point of not liking much music pre late 80s stands
The best song to come out in 87 is probably Chainsaw Guts**** by Mayhem though, truly a timeless classic

I like it but I'm not sure it's even the best song from the EP it's from. Or that it's better than a single song from 'Under The Sign... '. Or that it's better than 'Abigail' or 'Black Horsemen' by King Diamond. Or 'Bewitched' by Candlemass, and so on.
Reply 17
Original post by awkwardshortguy

Love SGB but this is 100% right
This decade has been horrendous IMO. Especially the second half of it. Love the noughties and 90s.
Reply 19
Since 1600 (the start of the Baroque period), music has been progressing with fresh, new and exciting sounds right up until the early 90's when Grunge Era began. Since then I believe music has hit a wall and music can no longer progress as it did. Most new music is very boring and bland just conforming to the usual sound and structure of Pop Music. Any music mildly good and interesting has already been done hundreds if not thousands times before. How do you think Prog Rock came about in the mid to late 60's? Experimenting with new sounds and structures never to be heard before. That is how. If we need to start making music with Mayonnaise to make it sound unique then that is what we should do. Therefore the 2000's and 2010's are the worst decades for music.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest