The Student Room Group

How to be a gastroentrologist?

Currently in year 4 of medicine.
Original post by Anonymous
Currently in year 4 of medicine.

IMT and MRCP then apply for gastroenterology specialty training.
You decide on top, bottom, or both, you pick up the camera and you're on your way.
Reply 3
Can someone clarify what med reg is? The people who sit in A&E...
Can someone clarify what med reg is? The people who sit in A&E...

The registrar on call for general medicine specialties. Different hospitals have different set ups but broadly speaking the job is split into running the take (admitting acute patients) and covering the wards. There is increasing amounts of ambulatory care work too.

In larger hospitals some medical specialties have their own dedicated on call team (on site or at home) e.g. cardiology, gastro, renal, etc. In other hospitals the med reg may cover all medical specialties out of hours.
Reply 5
Oh okay, that makes sense.

How do these people become on-call med reg?
Oh okay, that makes sense.

How do these people become on-call med reg?

Its compulsory if you are a registrar in the relevant specialities (and in the future, an IMT3). They've recently made it compulsory for more specialities than before.

In the future, in theory at least, that will be all SpRs from: Acute Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Endocrinology & Diabetes Mellitus, Gastroenterology, Genitourinary Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Infectious Diseases (except when dual with Medical Microbiology or Virology), Neurology, Palliative Medicine, Renal Medicine, Respiratory Medicine and Rheumatology. https://www.jrcptb.org.uk/imt

Its a frequent gap as well, through rota gap or sickness, so you get a fair few locums doing the role as well. Or you can get people to act up - passing PACES is often viewed as the threshold you need to get over to do the job.

Its widely viewed as the worst job in the hospital. That's why they're forcing more people to do it.
Reply 7
Original post by nexttime
Its compulsory if you are a registrar in the relevant specialities (and in the future, an IMT3). They've recently made it compulsory for more specialities than before.

In the future, in theory at least, that will be all SpRs from: Acute Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Endocrinology & Diabetes Mellitus, Gastroenterology, Genitourinary Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Infectious Diseases (except when dual with Medical Microbiology or Virology), Neurology, Palliative Medicine, Renal Medicine, Respiratory Medicine and Rheumatology. https://www.jrcptb.org.uk/imt

Its a frequent gap as well, through rota gap or sickness, so you get a fair few locums doing the role as well. Or you can get people to act up - passing PACES is often viewed as the threshold you need to get over to do the job.

Its widely viewed as the worst job in the hospital. That's why they're forcing more people to do it.

Well, at least with the new IMT3 aka junior reg aka rota gap filler. Dghs might actually have 2 regs Oncall now rather than one.
And it might make the med regs life alot more easier.
Original post by Jckc123
Well, at least with the new IMT3 aka junior reg aka rota gap filler. Dghs might actually have 2 regs Oncall now rather than one.
And it might make the med regs life alot more easier.

We'll see!
Reply 9
Will this new change affect me once I graduate? I am in year 4..
Sorry maybe I didn't phrase my question properly.

What pathway will I be following? It will be IMT right How many years is IMT? Is this new program set in stone?
Will this new change affect me once I graduate? I am in year 4..

Well gastro regs always had to be med regs.

But yes you will do 3 year IMT rather than 2 year CMT.
Original post by nexttime
Well gastro regs always had to be med regs.

But yes you will do 3 year IMT rather than 2 year CMT.

Why do I never see IMT/CMTs on the ward? Do they have another title?
ST1s can also be SHOs right... this is so confusing!
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending