The Student Room Group

Structure for english essays

can someone tell me what is the best structure to use for AQA poetry comparison, unseen poetry, An Inspector calls, Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde essays?
Thank you
Reply 1
nope sorry bro bro
Reply 2
Original post by Matei_19
nope sorry bro bro

thank you for your amazing reply!:smile:
Reply 3
:frown:
Original post by Rolo1234
can someone tell me what is the best structure to use for AQA poetry comparison, unseen poetry, An Inspector calls, Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde essays?
Thank you

I got a 9 at GCSE English lit and lang

- So for poetry comparison try to start your essay with "Both poets/both poems explore" - something along those lines, instead of doing one para on one poem then one on the other try to SYNTHESISE them together. AO2 make sure you really zoom in on key words - you get marks for just saying the verb ... expresses...

- Unseen there will be clear AO2 devices they want you to pick out - so make sure you practice and can identify them. You don't NEED to understand the poem (I sure didn't) but they just want to see that you haven't LEARNED meanings and devices from the poems when irl you don't even know what a verb is.

- An Inspector Calls I'd recommend planning both choices for questions out first - write down as many quotes as you know down. I did around 3 pages. I think there's no real set structure for an essay but if you make a plan e.g. Para 1 - selfishness in terms of Capitalism, selfishness through Mr Birling - just overarching themes to guide you and I used one quote per paragraph. So make a point, back with a quote, then try and extend on the quote as much as you can before moving on.

- I didn't do Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde but I believe you have extracts for that - I'd say highlight the devices you can analyse, then PLAN Para 1 - this point, try to go in chronological order through the extract if you can. Always LINK BACK TO QUESTION on this one it can be easy to drift off into just analysing quotes and talking about other themes.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!
Reply 5
Original post by Lauryyys
I got a 9 at GCSE English lit and lang

- So for poetry comparison try to start your essay with "Both poets/both poems explore" - something along those lines, instead of doing one para on one poem then one on the other try to SYNTHESISE them together. AO2 make sure you really zoom in on key words - you get marks for just saying the verb ... expresses...

- Unseen there will be clear AO2 devices they want you to pick out - so make sure you practice and can identify them. You don't NEED to understand the poem (I sure didn't) but they just want to see that you haven't LEARNED meanings and devices from the poems when irl you don't even know what a verb is.

- An Inspector Calls I'd recommend planning both choices for questions out first - write down as many quotes as you know down. I did around 3 pages. I think there's no real set structure for an essay but if you make a plan e.g. Para 1 - selfishness in terms of Capitalism, selfishness through Mr Birling - just overarching themes to guide you and I used one quote per paragraph. So make a point, back with a quote, then try and extend on the quote as much as you can before moving on.

- I didn't do Macbeth and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde but I believe you have extracts for that - I'd say highlight the devices you can analyse, then PLAN Para 1 - this point, try to go in chronological order through the extract if you can. Always LINK BACK TO QUESTION on this one it can be easy to drift off into just analysing quotes and talking about other themes.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

thank you and well done on the 9s!:smile:
Reply 6
could you please do a structure in both english lit and lan please i really struggle with english
For poetry, I usually have an intro which summarises the similarities or the differences of the focus/tone/context of the poems.
Then I have one paragraph on the form of both poems (with comparisons), one for the structure of the poems and one on language.
But if there is no obvious form you can do another language/structure comparison

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending