The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Pros and Cons of Exeter University

Pros & Cons of Exeter University?

Scroll to see replies

PROS:
- very flexible courses: you can do many combinations of different subjects in a joint honours degree (e.g. English and Film together, or Business and Management), which many universities do not offer.
- mostly optional modules: I can't speak for every course but certainly for humanities there is a hell of a lot more choice in terms of how you want your course to look- most other universities have completely compulsory first years where you don't choose anything that you study. I'm in second year of my degree and EVERY module I've chosen this year has been my choice which is amazing.
-pretty: the city centre is really nice with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc, and its got lots of greenery too, so does the campus. its also easy to get out into nature as places like exmouth and dawlish are really close, nice for a beach day!
-sporty: loads of different sport societies from traditional team sports like football and rugby to more niche ones like muay thai and quidditch. whether you're a beginner or a pro you're going to make loads of friends at socials or at training, also great for learning a new skill too.

CONS:
hilly: there are a LOT of hills in exeter. Campus is on top of a hill so you can expect to be sweating a fair bit especially in the summer if you're in a rush. But on the plus side I'm a lot fitter now than when I got to uni and you get used to the hills really quickly.
-diversity: exeter is not a particularly diverse university in terms of ethnicity, mostly owing to the fact that it's in the south west (devon is one of the whitest counties in the whole of the UK), so if thats important to you then it may not be for you! on the flip side the uni is making a big effort to try and diversify the study body and we have a big international student body which gets bigger every year.

Hope this helps :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by WobblyCat
PROS:
- very flexible courses: you can do many combinations of different subjects in a joint honours degree (e.g. English and Film together, or Business and Management), which many universities do not offer.
- mostly optional modules: I can't speak for every course but certainly for humanities there is a hell of a lot more choice in terms of how you want your course to look- most other universities have completely compulsory first years where you don't choose anything that you study. I'm in second year of my degree and EVERY module I've chosen this year has been my choice which is amazing.
-pretty: the city centre is really nice with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc, and its got lots of greenery too, so does the campus. its also easy to get out into nature as places like exmouth and dawlish are really close, nice for a beach day!
-sporty: loads of different sport societies from traditional team sports like football and rugby to more niche ones like muay thai and quidditch. whether you're a beginner or a pro you're going to make loads of friends at socials or at training, also great for learning a new skill too.

CONS:
hilly: there are a LOT of hills in exeter. Campus is on top of a hill so you can expect to be sweating a fair bit especially in the summer if you're in a rush. But on the plus side I'm a lot fitter now than when I got to uni and you get used to the hills really quickly.
-diversity: exeter is not a particularly diverse university in terms of ethnicity, mostly owing to the fact that it's in the south west (devon is one of the whitest counties in the whole of the UK), so if thats important to you then it may not be for you! on the flip side the uni is making a big effort to try and diversify the study body and we have a big international student body which gets bigger every year.

Hope this helps :smile:

You angel! Thank youuu
no worries, happy to help!
Original post by Anonymous
You angel! Thank youuu

If you live on the Lafrowda side of campus then the hills are far less noticeable.
Original post by Muttley79
If you live on the Lafrowda side of campus then the hills are far less noticeable.

True but most students only get to live on campus for year 1 and my son is moaning about the hills now he's in year 2. He does think the uni's really good overall though, Anon (studying History)
Original post by harrysbar
True but most students only get to live on campus for year 1 and my son is moaning about the hills now he's in year 2. He does think the uni's really good overall though, Anon (studying History)

Yes but you can get accommodation on that side of the campus after halls. I always suggest that to my students :smile:

Pleased to see you are keeping your children's names private ...
Exeter uni is famous for being hilly OP but it's no reason not to pick it unless you really hate hills.....
Exeter uni is famous for being hilly OP but it's no reason not to pick it unless you really hate hills.....

It is not excessively hilly! It depends what you are used to and where you live in the city.
It is not excessively hilly! It depends what you are used to and where you live in the city.

https://exepose.com/2018/02/15/the-unofficial-exe-it-list/

I was brought up in a very flat county and I've visited Exeter many times and stayed there - never felt it was that bad. I wouldn't recommend living in Birks or Duryard but other halls are fine. How long have you spent there?

People do exaggerate ...
I was brought up in a very flat county and I've visited Exeter many times and stayed there - never felt it was that bad. I wouldn't recommend living in Birks or Duryard but other halls are fine. How long have you spent there?

People do exaggerate ...

https://www.downingstudents.com/11-things-new-students-will-know-exeter/

I've had many students who've studied there. I'd agree with taking an umbrella but hilly - not really.

I ask again - how often have YOU been there to comment?
I've had many students who've studied there. I'd agree with taking an umbrella but hilly - not really.

https://exepose.com/2016/11/06/is-the-hilly-campus-really-as-bad-as-you-think/

Posting links is not very helpful - if you haven't spent much time there please stop as they are adding nothing to the thread.
Posting links is not very helpful - if you haven't spent much time there please stop as they are adding nothing to the thread.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/15-mildly-irritating-things-living-2327742

I will stop as I think I've made my point now that it is reasonable to describe Exeter uni as hilly
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/15-mildly-irritating-things-living-2327742

I will stop as I think I've made my point now that it is reasonable to describe Exeter uni as hilly

You haven't proved it at all :smile: It just the opinion of some people which many disagree with.
You haven't proved it at all :smile: It just the opinion of some people which many disagree with.

You're the only one who disagrees with it :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending