The Student Room Group

A*A*A*A*A* student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryRedhead
Go and put yourself in for IAL Edexcel A-levels, they're modular and if you're doing sciences you don't need to do practicals

I can't as I go to a UK sixth form (I technically could have done IAL French but I didn't (as long story short I was stupid)) but oh well
Original post by 1st superstar
I can't as I go to a UK sixth form (I technically could have done IAL French but I didn't (as long story short I was stupid)) but oh well

Just enter yourself in for the exams abroad?
Just enter yourself in for the exams abroad?

No i have to go to a SCHOOL in the UK (plus mum wouldn't allow to go to school abroad (she wouldn't allow me to be homeschooled or join an online school either)). so sorry nope linear is the way for me no matter what 😁
No i have to go to a SCHOOL in the UK (plus mum wouldn't allow to go to school abroad (she wouldn't allow me to be homeschooled or join an online school either)). so sorry nope linear is the way for me no matter what 😁

There's not a lot of difference between the IAL Edexcel spec and normal Edexcel/ AQA specs; just teach yourself the stuff you don't get taught in UK lessons to cover the spec content, do the past papers, enter for the exams abroad and go and boss them. Simples
There's not a lot of difference between the IAL Edexcel spec and normal Edexcel/ AQA specs; just teach yourself the stuff you don't get taught in UK lessons to cover the spec content, do the past papers, enter for the exams abroad and go and boss them. Simples

Facepalm :facepalm:how many times have I told you that I cannot do this? Plus If I were to self-study then it would be a disaster :argh: (I'd much rather go to school regardless and I go to a good sixth form). I repeat I CANNOT study any A-levels independently unless I do not have a choice (like for French whereby no schools in my area offer A-level French so I gotta do outside of school). I pass and sorry if this thread is going off-topic
Facepalm :facepalm:how many times have I told you that I cannot do this? Plus If I were to self-study then it would be a disaster :argh: (I'd much rather go to school regardless and I go to a good sixth form). I repeat I CANNOT study any A-levels independently unless I do not have a choice (like for French whereby no schools in my area offer A-level French so I gotta do outside of school). I pass and sorry if this thread is going off-topic

Fine, do your linear A-level and suffer then.

I will and tbh I have the capacity to pass but I just need to put in WAY more effort and get myself together (right now I am doing nothing and feel like a waste of space to society)...

LOL he likes feeling sorry for himself
Original post by HumblyBumbly
LOL he likes feeling sorry for himself

Meh, their choice. The options there if they have the money anyway
LOL he* likes feeling sorry for himself

She* and no I don't feel sorry for myself (or others tbh) I hate myself more than anything
She* and no I don't feel sorry for myself (or others tbh) I hate myself more than anything

why do you hate yourself?
why do you hate yourself?

I am worthless, ignorant sometimes etc but I like hard working people (like you and others). I feel like a waste of space sometimes... But hey I guess
I am worthless, ignorant sometimes etc but I like hard working people (like you and others). I feel like a waste of space sometimes... But hey I guess

How do you think you could stop being a waste of space? and why do you even feel like you are one?
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I had a question about history and just general revision, well done on your grades and achievements!

How did you revise history?
EPQ: When did you finish and how did you know it was good standard etc... more on EPQ?
When did you start and feel ready for exams, were you very prepared by May?
How do you think you could stop being a waste of space? and why do you even feel like you are one?

I need to TRY harder
Original post by susysusy123
Hi, I had a question about history and just general revision, well done on your grades and achievements!

How did you revise history?
EPQ: When did you finish and how did you know it was good standard etc... more on EPQ?
When did you start and feel ready for exams, were you very prepared by May?

With History - all about reading, discussing and then practicing essays.

EPQ: I honestly cannot remember how long it took me, but I think for me whenever I write an essay like that where I can pre-prepare, I just do a lot of reading and write out the key arguments and facts I then try to summarise those and piece them together, analyse them and put them into a cogent whole. When I feel I have made a coherent argument with lots of good material, well argued points and well evidenced I will submit it. I.e. when I feel happy with my own work and proud of it I will submit it. It doesn't mean others will think it is good.

I feel I was least prepared for history because I wasn't as consistent with practicing histories as I was the others.
Original post by Emman.78
Congratulations on the phenomenal results. I’m in year 12 and also would like to study medicine. I have the following questions:
What university do you go to now?

Oxford

Do you have any tips for maths, biology and chemistry? (see below)
I would say it depends on the subject

For biology and chemistry very similar: go through a module, do questions from legacy papers even relating to that module and there are lots of sites that split the questions into modules e.g. physics and maths tutor. A level chem revise was great too. I made sure I understood the concepts thoroughly. It isn;t enough to know them in class. You need to be able to explain it to other people and that's something I used to do. I used to talk to people all the time about things and sometimes go beyond the specification. Even now doing medicine on weekends I will meet with friends and discuss pathophysiology of diseases etc... I will try to do the teaching whenever I can. It helps me think and get my head around things.

Then maths my method was always: questions in textbook, all of them and then ... past papers , past papers, past papers.

History is reading and practicing essays.

I would say since A-levels I have adopted new methods e.g. using Anki and working with others to practice stuff (v. important in medicine)

I do think flashcards are very useful - do them regularly

Don't worry about the EPQ - I don't think it affected my application much. I wrote about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

I prepared much more thoroughly for BMAT then UCAT. With BMAT I did all the past papers. With UCAT I was more haphazard and it definitely showed in the results.
Reply 97
With History - all about reading, discussing and then practicing essays.

EPQ: I honestly cannot remember how long it took me, but I think for me whenever I write an essay like that where I can pre-prepare, I just do a lot of reading and write out the key arguments and facts I then try to summarise those and piece them together, analyse them and put them into a cogent whole. When I feel I have made a coherent argument with lots of good material, well argued points and well evidenced I will submit it. I.e. when I feel happy with my own work and proud of it I will submit it. It doesn't mean others will think it is good.

I feel I was least prepared for history because I wasn't as consistent with practicing histories as I was the others.

You must've not had a life then geeeeezzz 4 a levels and EPQ!? RIP.
Just an average TSR user then...
How did you cope with general A level pressure? I’m in Year 12, so goodness knows how I’ll survive Year 13, but on Thursday/Friday I was set 3 essays due at the start of next week, two research tasks, coursework due in the final Friday before we break up, revision for a sociology assessment on Monday and smaller tasks, plus I have to prepare a presentation to teach younger students about alcohol awareness, so I barely sleep and ahhh today I planned all of my essays and made so many revision posters despite it being my mum’s birthday (I had to revise in the car!), so anyway aha rant over 😂 And congratulations your results are incredible and I’m so glad you’re pursuing the course that you clearly worked so so hard towards!! xx

Quick Reply

Latest