The Student Room Group

similarities and differences between IMF and World bank

I have to create a venn diagram for this for my geography class and I'm struggling to find any sources. Any help would be amazing!
Oh god, IMF and World Bank was my least favourite thing to talk about. I feel your pain. Anyways here’s what I got from my a level geog folder from last year. I hope this helps dude.

I typed the first thing one because my hand writing is so messy:

World Bank:
- aims to overcome poverty by spurring growth (help reconstruct countries emerging from war.) spur governments to help prevent climate change and also helps against common diseases like HIV. Helps MICs (middle income counties) stay out of poverty. It focuses on natural disasters and humanitarian crisis’.

-first loan was to France for post war reconstruction.

-split into 2: the international bank for reconstruction, and development and the international development association.

-largest public development institution in the world.

-wealthier countries known as donar counties also lend to the world bank.

- it loans based on certain conditions concerning repayment and economic growth which countries have to agree on

IMF:

-lends money for development purposes and maintains international financial stability.

-enables citizens to transact with each other.

-aims to promote international monetary cooperation and promote exchange stability.

-loans often have lots of conditions usually a form of rescue for counties in serious debt (good examples is Greece 2008 onwards, here’s the latest on that story apparently lol https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1Z62IY.

- it’s primary role is to maintain international stability. Basically in return for loans it tries to force countries to privatise gov assets in order to increase the size of the private sector and generate wealth. Many believe this policy had forced poorer countries to sell off their assets to TNCs.

Attached this printout also:
image.jpg
Good luck!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PurpleGhost
Oh god, IMF and World Bank was my least favourite thing to talk about. I feel your pain. Anyways here’s what I got from my a level geog folder from last year. I hope this helps dude.

I typed the first thing one because my hand writing is so messy:

World Bank:
- aims to overcome poverty by spurring growth (help reconstruct countries emerging from war.) spur governments to help prevent climate change and also helps against common diseases like HIV. Helps MICs (middle income counties) stay out of poverty. It focuses on natural disasters and humanitarian crisis’.

-first loan was to France for post war reconstruction.

-split into 2: the international bank for reconstruction, and development and the international development association.

-largest public development institution in the world.

-wealthier countries known as donar counties also lend to the world bank.

- it loans based on certain conditions concerning repayment and economic growth which countries have to agree on

IMF:

-lends money for development purposes and maintains international financial stability.

-enables citizens to transact with each other.

-aims to promote international monetary cooperation and promote exchange stability.

-loans often have lots of conditions usually a form of rescue for counties in serious debt (good examples is Greece 2008 onwards, here’s the latest on that story apparently lol https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1Z62IY.

- it’s primary role is to maintain international stability. Basically in return for loans it tries to force countries to privatise gov assets in order to increase the size of the private sector and generate wealth. Many believe this policy had forced poorer countries to sell off their assets to TNCs.

Attached this printout also:
image.jpg
Good luck!!!

Thank you so much this was amazing! I completely agree this part of the topic is the worst! Thank you so so much for sharing this with me!
Original post by SoftGingerCat
Thank you so much this was amazing! I completely agree this part of the topic is the worst! Thank you so so much for sharing this with me!

Sorry for the late reply, I'm glad I helped and you are welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending