The Student Room Group

can i sue my flatmates

so I haven't got along with my flatmates since day 1. they use my stuff, eat my stuff and play music really late. I don't really fit in the group. I have tried to ask to move rooms but their are no free rooms. they also once smashed eggs on my door

so yesterday they did something truly disgusting. they rubbed a toilet brush on my plates without me knowing. I only found out because I saw it on someone story. im actually scared of them

Scroll to see replies

Thats pretty much bullying, try to speak to ur teachers or staff about it
Original post by Anonymous
so I haven't got along with my flatmates since day 1. they use my stuff, eat my stuff and play music really late. I don't really fit in the group. I have tried to ask to move rooms but their are no free rooms. they also once smashed eggs on my door

so yesterday they did something truly disgusting. they rubbed a toilet brush on my plates without me knowing. I only found out because I saw it on someone story. im actually scared of them

Get the evidence and speak to the uni.
That is absolutely gross. You should not have to put up with this. I am assuming you are at Uni. Move out asap.

If this is true then you need to create a timeline and list each event as it happened plus have the evidence.
Get locks for your stuff.
You should have photographed the egg smash but still report it.
Get the screenshot of where you found out. This is essential. Absolutely disgusting and out of order.
You then need to make an official complaint to the uni. I would speak to an adviser at the SU as complaining to accommodation might not be the most effective.
Dont be afraid but complain to the uni and tell them you are scared.

You have to stand up for yourself.
They will either find you somewhere or release you from the contract.
Please speak to an adviser and follow through with it but collect the evidence. The uni will take a very dim view of whats happened.

Normally halls have senior residents who you can speak to.

PS this is not a normal student experience, it really is outrageous, so you are just very unlucky and lots of students are friendly or harmless. These are just bullies. You need to be brave, get the evidence and give it to people who can do something for you at the uni. As soon as they realise the uni are looking into it they will stop. These students need to be held to account.
(edited 4 years ago)
That scrubbing thing is contaminating your food, and that's a criminal offence.

I would say that you should try and talk to them in a serious manner but that scrubbing thing made me feel physically ill, and I threw that idea out the window, much like what you should do with your dishes.

Do what 999tigger says and tell your university PRONTO. Also contact the police because they CANNOT be doing this to you and think it's okay or "a laugh". It''s not okay. It's a criminal act and they should be severely punished for it.

Imagine if you had a nut allergy and they had been putting ground up peanuts or almonds into your food? That could kill you and they would basically be attempting your murder.

Also, buy new dishes and keep them in your room... At least that way you know where they are and that no one is messing with them. I would check your food as well because if they've done that to the dishes, they may have done something to your food - vile people rarely stop at just one act of indignity.

Definitely report to your residence manager or uni! Make sure to record and take screen shots. If you don't have pics or videos, tell them the name of the person whose story it was on and call them as witness. You shouldn't have to go through this. Stay strong
Agree with the others!

1. Get as much evidence as you can, otherwise it's just your word against theirs. See if you can find + save the snap story (etc).

2. Speak to someone ASAP. Complain to a senior member / get your parents to complain if they don't listen (unlikely, but just in case)

3. Start looking for a new place in the mean time.

Sorry you've had to go through this.
What childish and revolting behaviour. Utter p****s.

Hope it all gets better soon! :smile:
Reply 8
That is NOT ACCEPTABLE! stick up for yourself & please speak to security. Thats evil! I hope things get better for you ! I’m praying 😭😭😭😭
wtf, what psychopaths you're living with...

Do what the above commenters have said. These people are utter freaks. Sorry that you've been placed with them.

Some people still haven't matured, I guess :colonhash:
Hello. I'm pretty sure there is a chance that you can claim money for damage haha. I'm studying law btw so this advice might not be the best, but I'd recommend seeing someone for advice in this area a solicitor or people from pro bono. Pro bono is free so you don't have to pay. But seriously?? whaaaaat they did that? I'd move into a different flat or a studio it's serious people can't get away with this stuff you need to do something about it.
Reply 11
To do that to food or plates is potentially going to poison you. That might even be a criminal matter as someone said if you have evidence.
Good luck in moving out.
This is disgusting!!!! You need to ring the uni accommodation up. Hopefully find some evidence! They should get a warning or worse.
Reply 13

This is actually a police matter.

Doing something like that is serious.

contact them and show them the snapchat story
Reply 14

This can't be real? at uni?? like aren't we supposed to be "adults" now?

Such disgusting people. U should get an evidence and report them. Hope they got a misconduct in their record and get suspended
Report this.
Reply 17
Original post by J.oel18
This can't be real? at uni?? like aren't we supposed to be "adults" now?

You have a high opinion of humanity.
What you have to remember is that these people are young students, not normal people. Some of them do the most idiotic sh*t possible.
Original post by Bio 7
You have a high opinion of humanity.
What you have to remember is that these people are young students, not normal people. Some of them do the most idiotic sh*t possible.

yh but these are basic things that i know even my 13 yr old bro wouldnt do. its just common sense.
Reply 19
yh but these are basic things that i know even my 13 yr old bro wouldnt do. its just common sense.

Students.

The mystery ends there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending