The Student Room Group

Thai soldier goes rogue; kills at least 20 in shooting spree

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-thailand-korat-mall-shooting-21455871 - This guy has TWO M60 machine guns! Like literal machine guns. I'm surprised that the death toll is 20 and not 200!
Original post by Ferrograd
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-thailand-korat-mall-shooting-21455871 - This guy has TWO M60 machine guns! Like literal machine guns. I'm surprised that the death toll is 20 and not 200!

Really sad. He filmed it life on social media.
Original post by Wired_1800
Really sad. He filmed it life on social media.

After the Christchurch attack everyone seems to be filming their attacks on social media.
After the Christchurch attack everyone seems to be filming their attacks on social media.

Social media needs to do something.

I don't see how they can do somethign though. Social media companies are scapegoated in events like this, but how do you propose they stop this? I know the Counter Terrorism unit of the Met Police in London actually filmed their training videos and sent them to facebook to train their AI to stop them and shut them down. But then a video that is innocent, eg, airsoft or something could be taken down. By the time these things are streamed it is already too late.
I don't see how they can do somethign though. Social media companies are scapegoated in events like this, but how do you propose they stop this? I know the Counter Terrorism unit of the Met Police in London actually filmed their training videos and sent them to facebook to train their AI to stop them and shut them down. But then a video that is innocent, eg, airsoft or something could be taken down. By the time these things are streamed it is already too late.

I do agree but maybe there can use a filtering tool to catch such activities
I do agree but maybe there can use a filtering tool to catch such activities

As said, I imagine this will be possible with improvements in AI. Maybe AI could flag it and then send it to actual human moderators.
Reply 7

In fairness theres little they can do. By the time theyve been notified and have time to respond its usually over.
Reply 8

A mixture of sheer luck (relatively speaking) and the incompetence of the assailant choosing such inappropriate heavy weaponry (literally) to conduct his disgusting attack. Those things are rather unweildly and weight a fair amount.

They never seem to kill as many as you'd expect in attacks like this. Although, any number is sad, obviously. I guess people can generally get away in large open areas like that with multiple exits. The attack in Paris a while back at the Bataclan was probably the only time recently where the death toll has shocked me a little. I think 9/11 set the bar pretty high for terror-related shock. Smaller attacks are just a part of everyday life nowadays.
Original post by Quixote.
They never seem to kill as many as you'd expect in attacks like this. Although, any number is sad, obviously. I guess people can generally get away in large open areas like that with multiple exits. The attack in Paris a while back at the Bataclan was probably the only time recently where the death toll has shocked me a little. I think 9/11 set the bar pretty high for terror-related shock. Smaller attacks are just a part of everyday life nowadays.

26 dead now, 52 injured, I imagine it would rise but still. Not quite sure how he'd manage to carry two M60s and an HK33 as mentioned. He was shot dead by a sniper.

Bataclan, without going into too much detail, would have been much easier to kill lots of people, confined area etc, from what i've read this was a 7 storey shopping centre. probably less enclosed and obviously a machine gun doesn't have great range.
I live in Thailand. This is considered a very big event. Although there were events like this in the UK and the US, this has never ever happened before in Thailand. This is probably the reason why it’s not difficult to own a gun in Thailand. People never expect this to happen.
Reply 12
Oh golly. No mention of his faith and ofcourse msm brands him as mentally insane. #DoubleStandards
Reply 13
Original post by YUSLP
Oh golly. No mention of his faith and ofcourse msm brands him as mentally insane. #DoubleStandards

What has religion got to do with this? So far it simply seems to have been some whacko with a grudge going off the deep end.
Original post by Napp
In fairness theres little they can do. By the time theyve been notified and have time to respond its usually over.

Yes, i do agree with you. I was thinking whether there are video analysis tools that can read live videos and block them.
As said, I imagine this will be possible with improvements in AI. Maybe AI could flag it and then send it to actual human moderators.

Yes, AI may help
Reply 16
Yes, i do agree with you. I was thinking whether there are video analysis tools that can read live videos and block them.

You still run into the problem of being able to counter such streams in real time as opposed to ex post facto. Equally, as the other user noted, theres the issue of casting the net too wide and snaring all sorts of mundane and inoffensive content. That is to say its a damn tricky thing for our lords on high at fb et al.
Original post by Napp
You still run into the problem of being able to counter such streams in real time as opposed to ex post facto. Equally, as the other user noted, theres the issue of casting the net too wide and snaring all sorts of mundane and inoffensive content. That is to say its a damn tricky thing for our lords on high at fb et al.

Fair, but they have to come up with a solution. There are young people on FB and having unparalleled access to such videos can be damaging.
Reply 18
Fair, but they have to come up with a solution. There are young people on FB and having unparalleled access to such videos can be damaging.

I mean to a point you're right but at the same time, in ones view, it seems somewhat unrealistic at present. Never mind the fact it is both impractical and damaging in its own right to wrap kids up in cotton wool like that. After all, its an unpleasant world and they should know that (plus its not exactly hard to find such stuff anywhere else on the internet).
Original post by Napp
I mean to a point you're right but at the same time, in ones view, it seems somewhat unrealistic at present. Never mind the fact it is both impractical and damaging in its own right to wrap kids up in cotton wool like that. After all, its an unpleasant world and they should know that (plus its not exactly hard to find such stuff anywhere else on the internet).

Yes, but it is better to slowly integrate young minds than sharp introduction to gruesome images or videos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending