The Student Room Group

Should I pick music GCSE?

I am very musical and I play three instruments (piano, flute, saxophone), but I have never properly composed before - only messed around a bit. Should I take music for GCSE's or not as I know the composition is a big part of it. Is it worth taking it or doing a different subject (eg. computer science) as I do music outside of school anyway and I don't want to have a musical career? My minimum expected grade is a 9 but I don't know how hard it is to get a 9 in music. Is there a specific criteria? Also, has anyone done it and if you have, what did you think of it? Sorry for lots of questions I just don't want to regret my decision as I have to pick my subjects now.
I have no idea about the GCSE Music examination or how it works. But i can give u a little advice about choosing it. So right now you are doubting your capability of getting a good grade in your exam. If you truly love the subject and is willing to put in the time and effort to work on it, then you will have a very high chance of achieving an excellent grade. It would mean an extra push, an extra mile, confidence, belief and most importantly not giving up half way through. This is all i can really help you with, but it would be wise to get some advice from people who have already done this exam. GOOD LUCK!
Original post by A09887
I am very musical and I play three instruments (piano, flute, saxophone), but I have never properly composed before - only messed around a bit. Should I take music for GCSE's or not as I know the composition is a big part of it. Is it worth taking it or doing a different subject (eg. computer science) as I do music outside of school anyway and I don't want to have a musical career? My minimum expected grade is a 9 but I don't know how hard it is to get a 9 in music. Is there a specific criteria? Also, has anyone done it and if you have, what did you think of it? Sorry for lots of questions I just don't want to regret my decision as I have to pick my subjects now.

Before I started GCSE music, though I played 4 instruments and sung, I could not read music and had never taken any grades for music. I'm now nearing the end of Y11 and got an 8 on my mocks - I had also never done composition before I started the GCSE. The composition element of the course is not difficult - for Edexcel, you do one free composition (piano is probably the best option) and a set brief composition (there are 4 to choose from, this year it was 1. theme and variations 2. theme music for a circus 3. open mic night song 4. mardi gras music). By writing to the right briefs, and making sure you fulfill what is needed on the mark scheme, you are very likely to get good marks.

A note on computer science, considering you mentioned it as a possible alternative, it is a very, very dry subject largely consistent of memorising things, and doesn't have a very practical focus, I think. I took it a couple years ago, and now take the A-Level (it's very dry too, but somewhat improved), but I would say don't take Computer Science unless you really enjoy it, or you know the teachers are good at making the subject interesting.

I personally think you should take Music. It's a great subject, definitely one of my favourites. Also, as for minimum expected grades, just ignore them. Mine are all 9s, but that was because of a baseline test made up of vocabulary knowledge, pattern recognition and mathematics, which are 3 things I happen to be very good at (but it doesn't mean I can even begin to write a decent essay, or have the energy to care enough about Biology to do well at it). Set yourself your own targets for the subject, and work toward those instead.
I took music GCSE and loved the content but hated the teacher. The composition is not as hard as it sounds - you'll most likely be using a computer programme like logic which basically creates the score for you as you go along. The exam can be pretty hard, but with the right revision you can get a good grade. I didn't know how to read sheet music (I play drums and it's different for us aha) and I found it didn't impact me that much as only a few questions required you to read it. And they'll teach it to you anyway. If you like music I'd recommend taking it :-)
Reply 4
Thank you so much - this advice was really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest