The Student Room Group

Medicine Clearing for 2020 entry (Updated 11th Sep - Buckingham only)

This is the thread for Medicine Clearing / Extra 2020 Entry. The Medicine Clearing 2019 entry thread is here.

Thread updated: 11th September 9pm

List of med schools that are CURRENTLY in Clearing (for 2020 Entry), confirmed

University of Buckingham A100 (note: they are a private medical school)

List of med schools that were in Clearing (for 2020 Entry) but have now closed

{University of Leicester: Medicine with a Foundation Year A199} - for East Midlands students only - no longer listed on UCAS

{Leeds A101 Gateway Year to Medicine} - Note: additional entry criteria may apply, please check - full

{Edge Hill Medicine with a Foundation Year A110} - Note: additional entry criteria may apply, please check - no longer listed on UCAS

University of Sheffield A100 - for Widening Participation students at Sheffield Hallam / Bradford only - no longer listed on UCAS

St George's University of London A100 - full

Hull York Medical School A100 - full

Aston University A100 - deadline was 1pm 13th August

Nottingham at Lincoln A10L - no longer listed on UCAS

St John's college, Cambridge A100 - no longer listed on UCAS

Sunderland A100 - full

QMUL Malta A100 - no longer listed on UCAS

UCLan A100 International students only- no longer listed on UCAS

? Keele A100 ? - never officially on UCAS / their website but now full

Click on the "Spoiler" below for some less relevant Clearing information:

Spoiler

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From @BlueSpikes

Hello , (I can now say i am a current first year medic)
Some may remember my thread back in summer 2018, I have recieved quite a few DMs regarding this.
So to clear it all up and let the people know this is how you should prepare for medicine in clearing in any cycle. (also procrastinating so thought id do something beneficial for others)

First of all, dont rely on UCAS search for medicine courses in clearing, go directly on University websites, if I didnt do this I wouldnt be at University today. (Ucas search definitely doesnt include everything)

Secondly, you can start looking for courses in clearing after mid July, around the 15th and do the usual email/call to each University asking if Medicine is going into clearing. Or just to be safe have a quick skim through in the start of July on every university website on their medicine page to make sure.

Thirdly, yes all offers are given after interview, it is still just as intense competition if not even more competitive to get a place. Otherwise this will be hugely unfair.
The criteria to get an interview in clearing at each respective university is also the same as it was during that application cycle or in some cases higher.

You still need a current UKCAT score for medicine in clearing.
When it comes to the point where the University confirms that medicine is in clearing for their course, each university may have a different application process, for example some uses a form that you fill in and email back to them, and some may have a direct online application form, but in all cases you can call afterwards if you want to confirm if they got your details.

Interviews are given usually quite promptly after submitting your details e.g. a few days (but obviously this will always vary)
Offers are given in my experience around a week after (again will always vary)

And also they rank your interview score etc.. as they usually would in the normal application cycle and give offers to those with the highest scores.

FAQ:
What do you mean by boosted UKCAT?
I sat ukcat again for the next years entry but used that score for clearing too. Which happened to be higher than my original sitting for the current cycle.
How exactly do you apply for clearing?
I just said you do it via form / email or online form ...read the FAQ

lol
Where on the website can you find out about clearing medicine?
The clearing page :s-smilie:
Is it a telephone interview?
NOOO It is an actual MMI get ready to travel to the University. (again that would be soo unfair if they randomly gave people telephone interviews, everything is the same, just later in the year.)
How many places are there?
Not a huge amount for example at Leicester there was 10 places for 64 interviews (data from FOI Request)
Can I sit my ukcat in the summer for clearing?
Yes, thats what I done to boost my score.
Can I apply to the same university I got rejected from in clearing?
You can give it a go but I think they will reject you again and look for someone else but I also know someone who managed to do that for keele after impressing at interview after previously being rejected so in any case always give it a go.
Can I get in with AAB?
No.. most Universities are still looking for standard requirements of either AAA or A*AA etc.
Can I use clearing as a backup incase I miss my grades on results day?
No, refer to above.
What are your grades?
AAA Biol Chem Maths
2610 Band 2 (SGUL cut off 2590)
10A 1D* 1B
Where did you have interviews at?
St Georges
Leicester
When are interviews held?
I did them last year one on 30th July one on 3rd August 2018
Where did you get offers from?
Both
Where you now?
Leics
How should I prepare for my clearing interviews?
Use past interview questions for respective Universities,
Use Marian Colls book ( i used it and it was helpful - not advertising hehe)
Be confident in the fact you got an interview and another chance to make it.

And if that isnt enough to reassure you, heres how my Leicester interview experience was.
Night before we booked into Victoria hotel, that was our greatest mistake, yes it was near the University. But it smelt mouldy, the beds were covered in filth, the mattresses spring was gone on one side, the windows were so old and wouldnt open enough to get adequate air in. It was a very hot night and so I couldnt sleep and I was up from 12 to 7 am struggling to sleep. Regardless I got my suit on and left as soon as possible in the morning. It was fair to say I felt like I have already failed my interview as I was sleep deprived bearing in mind my family stayed over too at this hotel! Was feeling sorry for them.
During the interview I felt like I said so many things that werent right. And after the interview i thought i failed and so I sat and googled medicine in europe e.g. bulgaria as I felt like the UK is too competitive for me.
1 week later - a life changing offer.
A few days after that. Another offer!
You can do this !

Also for anyone who did get AAA and was unlucky during clearing, consider this; (copy and paste from Uni Of Leicester selection process PDF)
3.2 Candidates with achieved A levels / IB
Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs,AND have a total UKCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you tointerview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When applying to medicine clearing unis do you have to undergo interview process; and if so when is it and when do you get a final decision to study at the uni by?
Original post by wyann
When applying to medicine clearing unis do you have to undergo interview process; and if so when is it and when do you get a final decision to study at the uni by?

Pretty sure nowhere in the uk doesn’t interview anymore. It would be after results day in the summer but you have to be pretty quick and get the grades and register and have valid admissions tests. The decision would likely be relatively quick and would probably be by the end of August and in time to get sorted for uni
Reply 3
Original post by wyann

Original post by DGeorge13
Pretty sure nowhere in the uk doesn’t interview anymore. It would be after results day in the summer but you have to be pretty quick and get the grades and register and have valid admissions tests. The decision would likely be relatively quick and would probably be by the end of August and in time to get sorted for uni

Read what @bluespikes wrote above.

Please If someone can help

I need some clarification as already been unsuccessful in A100 courses from 3 Unis (SGUL, KMMS and Birmingham), 2 conditional offers for Biomedicine ( One from SGUL and one from Brunnel).

Please If someone can explain how the Clearing will work , on or before May 6, 2020 I need to reject the offer to be eligibe for applying A100 courses in clearing or if I holds SGUL Bio Medicine as firm amd Brunnel Bio Medicine as Insurance , I will be eligible to apply to any A100 course through clearing.

My plan is I miss AAA in the final A levels , to has to take the Biomedicine route, resitting A Level (can be the daunting experience).

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by helpintransfer

I need some clarification as already mentioned in the original post as daugher has been unsuccessful in A100 courses from 3 Unis (SGUL, KMMS and Birmingham), she has 2 conditional offers for Biomedicine ( One from SGUL and one from Brunnel).

Please If someone can explain how the Clearing will work , on or before May 6, 2020 she needs to reject the offer to be eligibe for applying A100 courses in clearing or if she holds SGUL Bio Medicine as firm amd Brunnel Bio Medicine as Insurance , will she be eligible to apply to any A100 course through clearing.

Her plan is if she misses her AAA in the final A levels , then she has to take the Biomedicine route.

Thanks

Accepting her Biomed offers will not prevent her from entering Clearing in August should she get her AAA. UCAS now allows you to self-release into Clearing, so she would not be bound to accept her Firm/Insurance place then.
So you can’t go into clearing unless you release your firm offer ? What about insurance ?
Reply 7
Original post by chickenalfredo
So you can’t go into clearing unless you release your firm offer ? What about insurance ?

You can't have any offers if you wanted to go into Clearing. But you can make enquries while you still have an offer.

Let's say:
Firm - Med school A (A100) - Offer A*AA
Insurance - Uni B (B900) - Offer AAB
You got AAB - med school A rejects you. You will fulfill the criteria for Uni B's B900 so the offer changes to unconditional firm on UCAS.

Let's say you want to try your luck with Clearing, then you self-release into Clearing (you'll have to decline Uni B's offer). Make sure you have thought things through before self-releasing (i.e. declining an unconditional offer). Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6018164

Reply 8
Original post by helpintransfer

I need some clarification as already been unsuccessful in A100 courses from 3 Unis (SGUL, KMMS and Birmingham), 2 conditional offers for Biomedicine ( One from SGUL and one from Brunnel).

Please If someone can explain how the Clearing will work , on or before May 6, 2020 I need to reject the offer to be eligibe for applying A100 courses in clearing or if I holds SGUL Bio Medicine as firm amd Brunnel Bio Medicine as Insurance , I will be eligible to apply to any A100 course through clearing.

My plan is I miss AAA in the final A levels , to has to take the Biomedicine route, resitting A Level (can be the daunting experience).

Thanks

Re-sitting A levels is still likely to be the better option. GEM is more competitive and almost always requires much higher admission test scores than standard entry, as well as being more expensive
does clearing for medicine apply to internationals as well? or is it just UK/EU seats that need to be filled :/ ?
Original post by desperateintl
does clearing for medicine apply to internationals as well? or is it just UK/EU seats that need to be filled :/ ?

Right, I could be wrong but seeing as international is usually much more competitive than local - I doubt there are many (if in fact, any!) international Clearing spaces for Medicine (I am sure for other courses, Clearing is an option for international students) available.

However, Buckingham med school would be open to International students (they don't really have a deadline to apply to, either!).

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
For people who get in through clearing, have they already interviewed at those universities bc surely med schools wouldn't accept people without interviewing?
Original post by FJCX
For people who get in through clearing, have they already interviewed at those universities bc surely med schools wouldn't accept people without interviewing?

Generally the process works that you call them up and they give you an interview within that week, usually around results day. Newcastle for example still has a UCAT cut off, and I think the others will have their own stipulations. Interestingly, for some undergraduate courses despite their graduate criteria they’ll only accept undergraduate criteria on the day. Ie for Newcastle you just still have AAA. George’s won’t look at you at all if you’re a grad.

Your best bet is reapplication, getting a higher score (by the way - I didn’t jsut use medify I had to do about three months of prep because I’ve got awful spatial awareness), and applying strategically. I can help You with that if needs be.
Reply 13
Original post by FJCX

If a uni you have already interviewed at wants you, they would generally contact you to make an offer. Some run waiting lists/reserve lists and tell you want position you are in, so you may get a call around results day. Some prefer to go to new applicants they have not already rejected if they have free spaces and they have to meet the same criteria as those made offers during the original application cycle. Either way, there will have to be an interview.
Reply 14
Original post by TheGraduateMedic
Generally the process works that you call them up and they give you an interview within that week, usually around results day. Newcastle for example still has a UCAT cut off, and I think the others will have their own stipulations. Interestingly, for some undergraduate courses despite their graduate criteria they’ll only accept undergraduate criteria on the day. Ie for Newcastle you just still have AAA. George’s won’t look at you at all if you’re a grad.

Your best bet is reapplication, getting a higher score (by the way - I didn’t jsut use medify I had to do about three months of prep because I’ve got awful spatial awareness), and applying strategically. I can help You with that if needs be.

Thank you for the clarification, that's depressing, I thought I would retake UCAT earlier on this year again (before alevel results day) to then hopefully find a place at a clearing medicine course with a hopefully higher UCAT score (seeing as im going to have to retake it again this year again for reapplication next year, might as well do it before results day and try my chance at clearing) just like @BlueSpikes did. But, considering some undergrad med courses won't even accept graduates on the day and there are very few medicine courses in clearing, is there even any point at looking at clearing or trying to find unis before clearing?
Original post by FJCX
Thank you for the clarification, that's depressing, I thought I would retake UCAT earlier on this year again (before alevel results day) to then hopefully find a place at a clearing medicine course with a hopefully higher UCAT score (seeing as im going to have to retake it again this year again for reapplication next year, might as well do it before results day and try my chance at clearing) just like @BlueSpikes did. But, considering some undergrad med courses won't even accept graduates on the day and there are very few medicine courses in clearing, is there even any point at looking at clearing or trying to find unis before clearing?

Not really in my opinion, I’d concentrate on making your application water tight for the next cycle
Reply 16
Original post by TheGraduateMedic
Not really in my opinion, I’d concentrate on making your application water tight for the next cycle

I honestly don't know how I can significantly improve my UCAT, I know a lot of practise but it seems on the day I end up getting a lower score than my practise runs. I guess I'll get medify for a month or so.
Original post by FJCX
I honestly don't know how I can significantly improve my UCAT, I know a lot of practise but it seems on the day I end up getting a lower score than my practise runs. I guess I'll get medify for a month or so.

Just thought I’d pop in to give advice, medify was easier than the real thing for me personally & especially SJ. So i wouldn’t rely on it if i was you
Edit - silly app cut me off. Will pop in my notes I. A few days can’t find them right now
(edited 4 years ago)
Can I please ask how clearing works in relation to admission for Medicine.

Is it only open to individuals that applied in October 2019 for entry in 2020 and didn't get an offer or for fresh applicants who missed the October 2019 deadline. ?

Latest

Trending

Trending