The Student Room Group

Telling people it’s not the coronavirus

Hello! So, I am Asian and I have a cough. People tend to think it’s the virus and I understand their sentiment haha, but it’s making my trips outside a bit awkward. How can I reassure people it’s not actually the virus and just a normal normal cough?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don’t cough
Reply 2
I wish I could, but I have to catch the bus to school. I feel bad for the others on board!
Have a 'Just a Cough' hiviz vest made up.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Have a 'Just a Cough' hiviz vest made up.

😂 😂 Yes quite a good idea actually! I’m thinking of making a sign of sorts
Reply 5
Original post by FriedFish
People tend to think it’s the virus and I understand their sentiment haha

I don't :/
😂 😂 Yes quite a good idea actually! I’m thinking of making a sign of sorts

Dont think thats too bad an idea. Do you wear a mask?
Try sucking on a sweet as well as that can deter coughs.

Must be boring, but was in Chinese supermarket the other day and most people had masks on and were looking nervous.
Reply 7
Original post by Sataris
I don't :/

Sometimes it’s better to be safe than sorry. It’s not even about only protecting yourself anymore. The media is board-casting in a way that suggests this virus is highly contagious, so if they have family at home perhaps, it’s understandable that they are cautious. Just as how people tend to avoid sharing certain things with ill people, I know it’s not malicious so it doesn’t really bother me.
Take a doctors report with you
Original post by 999tigger

You might start choking on the sweet under the mask and making things worse, IT'S MUTATED!!! :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Dont think thats too bad an idea. Do you wear a mask?

Must be boring, but was in Chinese supermarket the other day and most people had masks on and were looking nervous.

I thought about wearing a mask, but since no one else around here is, I feel like it might make the situation feel more serious than it actually is.
I’m sorry but until this virus has been suppressed these enquires will not stop. As much as I don’t agree with people being like that, I am just stating facts.
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
You might start choking on the sweet under the mask and making things worse, IT'S MUTATED!!! :rolleyes:

Oh no! What a horrible turn of events! :biggrin:
I thought about wearing a mask, but since no one else around here is, I feel like it might make the situation feel more serious than it actually is.

Your choice at least I would know you arent coughing on me.
Have you been tested? If so take the photocopy of that with you. School kids are going to jump to conclusions even more.
Reply 14
Your choice at least I would know you arent coughing on me.
Have you been tested? If so take the photocopy of that with you. School kids are going to jump to conclusions even more.

Alright, I might do that. Thanks!
Just tell them you're not from Wuhan.
Sometimes it’s better to be safe than sorry. It’s not even about only protecting yourself anymore. The media is board-casting in a way that suggests this virus is highly contagious, so if they have family at home perhaps, it’s understandable that they are cautious. Just as how people tend to avoid sharing certain things with ill people, I know it’s not malicious so it doesn’t really bother me.

Tbf it is pretty contagious and a lot more potent than the flu.
Reply 17
Original post by rcmotorboy
Just tell them you're not from Wuhan.

There are people being infected across China and in many other countries now, so that couldn’t be too reassuring at this point
Omg this was me the last 2 weeks. Luckily im fine now but it was so annoying needing to cough in public without drawing attention. People either looked at me funny or would walk as far away from me as possible.
There are people being infected across China and in many other countries now, so that couldn’t be too reassuring at this point

Ah ok, yeah, with all the other posts, see a doctor and get some note with a check up for an assessment. I get in the same position. I walk down the street and people think I'm a drug dealer or may carry drugs when I don't take any drugs and I don't try to run around, taking photos or they think I'm a terrorist. So I don't carry anything dodgy and I don't run around across, pointing a camera around, so people can't accuse me of any of that.

Either that or tell them you can't get a check up because there's billions of you in the queues, since China population is over a billion. See a doctor but can't because there's billions of you guys queuing.

:biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest