The Student Room Group

Storm Ciara helps plane beat Transatlantic Flight Record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51433720

Quite a cool story I heard today. The plane arrived at LHR 80 minutes ahead of schedule after a 4hr 56 minute flight, helped by the jet stream beating the record by 27 minutes held by Norwegien.

According to BBC weather the jet stream hit a Speed of 260MPH in the morning, despite going faster than the speed of air, the plane would not have broken the sound barrier.

However, also today there was a scary looking moment when a plane had to abort a landing at LHR

I suppose this just goes to show, while on the one hand these weather events can cause carnage. They can also produce records like this.
I heard about this! I can't imagine it was very fun for the passengers even if they did get in early
Original post by Rennaofravenwood
I heard about this! I can't imagine it was very fun for the passengers even if they did get in early

Maybe yeah, I also heard it can be rather comfertable or not have much difference. A 200MPH tailwind (effectively) is insane.
Original post by Andrew97
Maybe yeah, I also heard it can be rather comfertable or not have much difference. A 200MPH tailwind (effectively) is insane.

I guess it wouldn't be too bad until they had to land, but I'm not a huge fan of flying at the best of times.
Original post by Rennaofravenwood
I guess it wouldn't be too bad until they had to land, but I'm not a huge fan of flying at the best of times.

Fair enough. While we marvel this this, we should have a moment of thought for whichever poor sod had the LHR to NYC route, that must have been a right pain.😂
Reply 5
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51433720

Quite a cool story I heard today. The plane arrived at LHR 80 minutes ahead of schedule after a 4hr 56 minute flight, helped by the jet stream beating the record by 27 minutes held by Norwegien.

According to BBC weather the jet stream hit a Speed of 260MPH in the morning, despite going faster than the speed of air, the plane would not have broken the sound barrier.

However, also today there was a scary looking moment when a plane had to abort a landing at LHR

I suppose this just goes to show, while on the one hand these weather events can cause carnage. They can also produce records like this.

It's quite interesting seeing the reporting of it over here in Wellington where most people are saying welcome to the daily grind :lol:
despite going faster than the speed of air,

Well yes that is the idea behind flying :wink:

I'm sure you meant the speed of sound

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending