The Student Room Group

Presence of catalyst

How would I do a PD lab to investigate whether it is cobalt (ll) ions or nitrate ions which were responsible for the catalytic action .
This is the rest of the information... It is known that solution of sodium chlorate slowly decompose according to the ionic equation
2ClO==> 2Cl + O2
Experiment shows that the reaction catalyzed by aqueous solution of cobalt nitrate.
You could determine how the reaction rate changes with varying amounts of other cobalt(II) salts and nitrate salts

For example, measure the uncatalysed rate, i.e. with no salts at all
Then measure how the rate varies with just cobalt(II) chloride (for example) in varying amounts
Then do the same with just sodium nitrate (for example), again in varying amounts

The species acting as a catalyst will have a drastic effect on the rate, and this will be shown with how the rate decreases with each increase of the catalyst used
On the contrary, the species that isn’t acting as a catalyst will cause the rate to be similar to the uncatalysed rate, regardless of how much was added
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank u. So to determine how the reaction rate changes with varying amounts of other cobalt(II) salts and nitrate salts would be my aim then?
Original post by #minniemouse
Thank u. So to determine how the reaction rate changes with varying amounts of other cobalt(II) salts and nitrate salts would be my aim then?

Yes, because in theory, any salt containing the catalytic species will catalyse the reaction; for example, if cobalt(II) chloride catalysed the reaction but sodium nitrate didn’t, then you could make the conclusion that Co2+ ions are catalysing the reaction (and vice versa)

You may realise that whilst doing this, you must assume that it’s only either Co2+ or NO3- that catalyses the reaction
OK thank u

Quick Reply

Latest