The Student Room Group

MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HopefulGrad18
Another English PhD (Medieval) applicant!

Great to see another medievalist! What do you study in particular?
Ugh, I’m off work today and on enforced bed rest until I feel better, which means it’s just me, some snacks, and various applicant portals... Cambridge is the worst one because they don’t email to notify you! And I’m pretty sure I’m unlikely to hear anything this week, but it doesn’t stop me looking!
Reply 62
Original post by SixteenHundred
Ugh, I’m off work today and on enforced bed rest until I feel better, which means it’s just me, some snacks, and various applicant portals... Cambridge is the worst one because they don’t email to notify you! And I’m pretty sure I’m unlikely to hear anything this week, but it doesn’t stop me looking!

Get better, hun Xx

That's the worst - I hope you feel better soon! Whenever I don't have classes I do the same thing, just endless *refresh* *brief but extreme panic while the page loads* *intense relief it's not a rejection* *slight disappointment it's not GAO either* *refresh again* - it's maddening!

Ah, feel better soon pal!
Original post by Opo221
Get better, hun Xx

Original post by Kaylee Frye
That's the worst - I hope you feel better soon! Whenever I don't have classes I do the same thing, just endless *refresh* *brief but extreme panic while the page loads* *intense relief it's not a rejection* *slight disappointment it's not GAO either* *refresh again* - it's maddening!

Original post by TwoLimes
Ah, feel better soon pal!

Thanks everyone!

that's the worst! Feel better!
Losing hope of hearing this week :frown: and somehow I feel it won't be next week either... Has anyone emailed the department recently?
Original post by alevin11
Losing hope of hearing this week :frown: and somehow I feel it won't be next week either... Has anyone emailed the department recently?

I think someone emailed last week/the week before and they said we should expect to hear back mid-Feb. So potentially next week, or possibly the week after.
Reply 69
Ahhh! I was just invited for an interview for PhD with a potential supervisor! TERRIFIED.
Original post by Mangoji
Ahhh! I was just invited for an interview for PhD with a potential supervisor! TERRIFIED.

Congratulations!! :biggrin: Don't be scared - from what I've read getting an interview is a really good sign!
Reply 71
Original post by Mangoji

Congratulations—this bodes well for you. It's natural to be nervous, but remember that the potential supervisor is likely to expect interviewees to be nervous, and is unlikely to be mean or to ask questions which are beyond your abilities (and if they do those things, you wouldn't want to be supervised by them anyway).

Reread your application, and if you can find a friend or family member to spare a little time to practise with you, practise explaining concisely and logically how you came to the research topic and why you want to work with that supervisor at that institution. (They might not ask about those things, and they will probably ask about other things, but those thing are things you can prepare for.)
Original post by Mangoji

That’s awesome! Good luck! Remember that they’re interviewing you because they’re interested:smile: have faith in yourself and rock it!
Original post by alevin11
Great to see another medievalist! What do you study in particular?

I look at medieval lyrics (won't say much more as I don't want to be too easily identifiable on here really!). Have you heard anything?
Reply 74
Original post by Kaylee Frye
Congratulations!! :biggrin: Don't be scared - from what I've read getting an interview is a really good sign!

Original post by QHF
Congratulations—this bodes well for you. It's natural to be nervous, but remember that the potential supervisor is likely to expect interviewees to be nervous, and is unlikely to be mean or to ask questions which are beyond your abilities (and if they do those things, you wouldn't want to be supervised by them anyway).

Reread your application, and if you can find a friend or family member to spare a little time to practise with you, practise explaining concisely and logically how you came to the research topic and why you want to work with that supervisor at that institution. (They might not ask about those things, and they will probably ask about other things, but those thing are things you can prepare for.)

Original post by jillybean06
That’s awesome! Good luck! Remember that they’re interviewing you because they’re interested:smile: have faith in yourself and rock it!

Thanks so much for the comforting words, everyone! I was told it'd be informal which is a huge relief.

Fingers crossed that this is the week for everyone still waiting here!
Original post by Mangoji
Thanks so much for the comforting words, everyone! I was told it'd be informal which is a huge relief.

Fingers crossed that this is the week for everyone still waiting here!

Congrats! To me it sounds like this won't be the week we hear then, if they're still interviewing!
Reply 76
Congrats! To me it sounds like this won't be the week we hear then, if they're still interviewing!

Yes, sorry, I meant for those still waiting for interview invites! And thanks! :smile:
Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 1.02.47 pm.png
Someone just posted this to thegradcafe
(edited 4 years ago)
Ahhhh I have an interview now too! Next Tuesday! And one with Education earlier in the morning. @Mangoji I feel you, so terrified!!! Also, I have never used Skype in my life!
Original post by jillybean06
Ahhhh I have an interview now too! Next Tuesday! And one with Education earlier in the morning. @Mangoji I feel you, so terrified!!! Also, I have never used Skype in my life!

Ahh I'm so happy for you! I work with Skype and other call software extensively - it's easy to use, don't worry, just do a little practice beforehand with a friend if you can to make sure you're happy with it and your mic is functional. If it's a video call, put a sticky note next to the camera so you remember where to look, and if it's a voice call, remember to breathe and leave pauses so the other person can talk. It won't feel like empty silence, but is necessary to make sure everyone finishes talking. Also, moderate your speaking pace to a little slower than normal, as it sounds more professional on the phone.

Also, I will eat my words above - I've just been moved to GAO! Application timeline:

Jan 7th: applied
Jan 20th (when I checked): straight to degree committee
W/c Jan 27th: funding interview
Feb 10th: GAO

Quick Reply