The Student Room Group

Tory refusal to give Bercow peerage is bullying says Butler.

https://news.sky.com/story/john-bercow-tory-refusal-to-give-former-speaker-peerage-bullying-too-11929901

Labour Deputy Leadership hopeful Dawn Butler made the claim on Sky this morning.

The former Speaker was not automatically awarded a seat in the Lords, as is tradition. He was also be embrioled in a bullying scandal. something Mr Bercow denies. However housing secretary Robert Jenrick said the Commons was a better place without Bercow.

Mr Bercow has been nomintaed by Jeremy Corbyn for a peerage, but Ministers say nobody with outstanding bullying claims should get one.
Original post by Andrew97
https://news.sky.com/story/john-bercow-tory-refusal-to-give-former-speaker-peerage-bullying-too-11929901

Labour Deputy Leadership hopeful Dawn Butler made the claim on Sky this morning.

The former Speaker was not automatically awarded a seat in the Lords, as is tradition. He was also be embrioled in a bullying scandal. something Mr Bercow denies. However housing secretary Robert Jenrick said the Commons was a better place without Bercow.

Mr Bercow has been nomintaed by Jeremy Corbyn for a peerage, but Ministers say nobody with outstanding bullying claims should get one.

😭😭😭😭😭
Poor old Johnny, fancy someone going against political tradition and robbing him of yet more jumped up, megalomaniacal limelight.

Well it's obvious the Tories really dislike him. The bullying scandal is definitely faked/over-egged by them.
But seriously, who cares? The Tories are very petty for not giving him one. And Bercow is pretty childish for caring so much. It's yet another pathetic non-issue.

Bercow is a *******, who is loving the media attention, and is milking the system, hes the only person taking the gold-plated pension for holding a great officer of state (it became norm for these officers to take a more modest one then a 7 figure dish out from the tax payer...), still being investigated about bullying his employees and there is the scandal of did he abuse his roles as speaker to take a position on major UK policy when he should have stayed unbiased (I understand the last point is debated, but honestly I think most people who look at it and given his comments since retirement it does look more like he did).

Its a dumb attempt at political point scoring by the shadow secretary of state, but I suspect this is more of an own goal in the eyes of the public.
What goes around, comes around.

Hes not got a peerage because he doesn't deserve one.
I don't know about bullying Bercow, and he does seem a collosal prat, but the Tories are being pretty petty and pathetic, rejecting the nomination because he did his job, having already ignored convention and refused to nominate a departing speaker for the same reason
(edited 4 years ago)
Torries are just asserting authority again.. its a message to all future tory-speakers.. stay in line and get rewarded, don't and you wont.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I don't know about bullying Bercow, and he does seem a collosal pest, but the Tories are being pretty petty and pathetic, rejecting the nomination because he did his job, having already ignored convention and refused to nominate a departing speaker for the same reason

This. Sheer vindictiveness and an accurate reflection of the petty mindedness and downright smallness of Dominic and Boris.

From the public remarks of some Tory MPs about Bercow, it's also not hard to detect an anti-semitic streak in their attitude towards the former Speaker.
Reply 8
That Bercow feels entitled to power is a strong reason to not give him any.

He's not the only one there with a sense of superiority over us normal people, but the fewer there are the better.
Original post by ThomH97
That Bercow feels entitled to power is a strong reason to not give him any.

He's not the only one there with a sense of superiority over us normal people, but the fewer there are the better.

(1) The Lords have very little power.

(2) He doesn't come across like that at all, he was super-nice to backbenchers and I went to a meeting he spoke at and he was really, really pleasant to the 'ordinary' folks.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
(1) The Lords have very little power.

(2) He doesn't come across like that at all, he was super-nice to backbenchers and I went to a meeting he spoke at and he was really, really pleasant to the 'ordinary' folks.

True, but it is power, nonetheless and he feels entitled to it. I'd rather overhaul the Lords completely, but I'll settle for preventing self entitled people from getting in there one at a time.
This. Sheer vindictiveness and an accurate reflection of the petty mindedness and downright smallness of Dominic and Boris.

From the public remarks of some Tory MPs about Bercow, it's also not hard to detect an anti-semitic streak in their attitude towards the former Speaker.

Im glad Bercow doesnt get to move to the upper house he doesnt deserve it.

Bercow broke all sorts or precedents including the most important one, not picking sides whilst in the chair, before you look at the bullying scandal or his ridiculous pension (where precedent from other ex-great officers of state has shown they can take a more modest settlement)..

Besides sitting in the house of lords shouldnt be an entitlement, TBH im starting to think the UK should have a re-think on how the unelected house operates altogether and whether specific panels should be drawn up by specific experts for bills rather then the current lot.
Original post by ThomH97
True, but it is power, nonetheless and he feels entitled to it. I'd rather overhaul the Lords completely, but I'll settle for preventing self entitled people from getting in there one at a time.

You'll have to stop Corbyn trying to put his ex Chief of Staff Karie Murphy in there as well then. Bit of a laugh considering he's previously on record as wanting to abolish it and she previously scorned it. Ah well.
You'll have to stop Corbyn trying to put his ex Chief of Staff Karie Murphy in there as well then. Bit of a laugh considering he's previously on record as wanting to abolish it and she previously scorned it. Ah well.

One at a time will have to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending