The Student Room Group

I work 50 hours a week and I'm predicted a 1st class honours, ask me anything.

See loads of little posts about having part time jobs at university,

Well, I work 50 hours a week in a managerial role, restaurant manager. I start at 12, finish at 1,2 am sometimes and have to be up for uni the next morning. I work 5 days a week. I'm predicted a 1st class honours and I'm in my final semester.

Ask me anything you like about my social life, balancing my workloads, having some me time, researching. Anything.😊

Scroll to see replies

1 question - HOW TF
Original post by Anonymous
1 question - HOW TF

Managing my time well I guess 😂
Original post by MonstrousJoys

Well, I work 50 hours a week in a managerial role, restaurant manager. I start at 12, finish at 1,2 am sometimes and have to be up for uni the next morning. I work 5 days a week. I'm predicted a 1st class honours and I'm in my final semester.

Ask me anything you like about my social life, balancing my workloads, having some me time, researching. Anything.

Ooooh! Congratulations, that's very impressive considering your work schedule! I have lots of questions!

1. How do you stay motivated especially with your workload?
2. What system do you use to to stay on top of readings and assignments (i.e. do you read ahead of classes, any particular note-taking system)? And would you have any tips and tricks in that regard?
3. What's the one thing you wish you could tell your fresher self?

Thank you for doing this AMA, esp with that work schedule! :s-smilie: :smile:
Reply 4
What subject do you do? I can't imagine trying to fit that in around my old timetable, it was so patchy and covered several random 2-4 hour periods between 9 am and 7pm most days. Did you just get lucky that your schedule allowed consistent chunks of time to work longer shifts?
Original post by Zoqua
What subject are you studying at university? Well done by the way :smile:

I studied International Hospitality and Events for my first 2 years, owing to my professional experience my department lead let me transfer to International Marketing management accredited by the CIM. This year's been a lot tougher, its a lot more theory, but I maintained my grades last sem 😊

Original post by autotheist
Ooooh! Congratulations, that's very impressive considering your work schedule! I have lots of questions!

2. What system do you use to to stay on top of readings and assignments (i.e. do you read ahead of classes, any particular note-taking system)? And would you have any tips and tricks in that regard?

My motivation comes from every other family member being a postgrad or a doctor 😂.

My lecturers are damn good at putting content onto canvas (our VLE) a few days early, gives me time to read it over and look through any reading they will give in our lectures.

Being honest? I wish I could tell myself to not take on as many financial responsibilities I have done (renting a house is not cheap, bills etc)
Original post by Interea
What subject do you do? I can't imagine trying to fit that in around my old timetable, it was so patchy and covered several random 2-4 hour periods between 9 am and 7pm most days. Did you just get lucky that your schedule allowed consistent chunks of time to work longer shifts?

I do Marketing management (see my previous reply), my boss has been incredibly supportive, my lectures are split into two days with my dissertation lectures once every month. I told my boss that those were my two days off and that I won't be replying to work emails, etc. During those days. My boss knows that my timetable shifts each semester so again has been incredibly supportive of that! Hope that helps.
Original post by autotheist

Also, thank you!

Forgot to mention that i use time management apps, I won't name then because Im not advertising them, they help lay out my scheduling for assignments. For example I know my schedule for the next two weeks is writing my lit review and methodology for my dissertation and a 20 minute presentation for my strategy and consult module.
I'd be more impressed if you could do the same with a proper degree subject; like physics or biochemistry
I'd be more impressed if you could do the same with a proper degree subject; like physics or biochemistry

Agreed

Bit harsh like.
Bit harsh like.

I do 45 hours a week at work, study biochemistry getting firsts and balance a mechanics course on the side. You don't impress me, sorry
I do 45 hours a week at work, study biochemistry getting firsts and balance a mechanics course on the side. You don't impress me, sorry

I never meant to impress and I certainly wasnt trying to impress an anon who's trying to flex on someone for wanting to help others.

You don't impress me.
Reply 13
Are you sleep deprived?
It would be impressive if you did a STEM subject or medicine instead of an easy subject.
I never meant to impress and I certainly wasnt trying to impress an anon who's trying to flex on someone for wanting to help others.

You don't impress me.

Clearly your intentions were to brag otherwise you wouldn't have even made this thread.

Ask me anything you like about my social life, balancing my workloads, having some me time, researching. Anything.😊

Good for you!

With good work ethic & motivation you can achieve a lot, this sounds like another great example.
I'm sceptical, but good on you if this is true.
It would be impressive if you did a STEM subject or medicine instead of an easy subject.

Clearly your intentions were to brag otherwise you wouldn't have even made this thread.

I'm snobby about this sort of thing but there's no denying it's very impressive and most people couldn't do it. Cope harder.
Wow.

That must be one terrible degree course.

Spoiler

Original post by MidgetFever
I'm sceptical, but good on you if this is true.

I believe him. A lot of unis have massively ramped up their proportion of firsts - Wolverhampton for example now awards 400% more firsts than it did just 10 years ago, and uni of surrey now awards firsts to 45% of its students. I think you'd be massively naive to somehow think the amount of work required has stayed the same during this period!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending