The Student Room Group

MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SixteenHundred
Ahh I'm so happy for you! I work with Skype and other call software extensively - it's easy to use, don't worry, just do a little practice beforehand with a friend if you can to make sure you're happy with it and your mic is functional. If it's a video call, put a sticky note next to the camera so you remember where to look, and if it's a voice call, remember to breathe and leave pauses so the other person can talk. It won't feel like empty silence, but is necessary to make sure everyone finishes talking. Also, moderate your speaking pace to a little slower than normal, as it sounds more professional on the phone.

Also, I will eat my words above - I've just been moved to GAO! Application timeline:

Jan 7th: applied
Jan 20th (when I checked): straight to degree committee
W/c Jan 27th: funding interview
Feb 10th: GAO

Congratulations!! That is so fantastic!! You've made it!
Reply 81
Original post by jillybean06
Ahhhh I have an interview now too! Next Tuesday! And one with Education earlier in the morning. @Mangoji I feel you, so terrified!!! Also, I have never used Skype in my life!

Amazing! Congratulations! Don't worry, they clearly like you! Definitely get some Skype practise in though: get someone to help you check your sound/picture quality and find out where in your house is comfortable (and private!) but has decent lighting. You'll do great!

Mine is this Thursday so not a huge amount of notice, eep!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 82
Ahh I'm so happy for you! I work with Skype and other call software extensively - it's easy to use, don't worry, just do a little practice beforehand with a friend if you can to make sure you're happy with it and your mic is functional. If it's a video call, put a sticky note next to the camera so you remember where to look, and if it's a voice call, remember to breathe and leave pauses so the other person can talk. It won't feel like empty silence, but is necessary to make sure everyone finishes talking. Also, moderate your speaking pace to a little slower than normal, as it sounds more professional on the phone.

Also, I will eat my words above - I've just been moved to GAO! Application timeline:

AMAZING! Congratulations!!
Reply 83

Congrats!!!! 🎉🎉
Reply 84
Original post by jillybean06
Ahhhh I have an interview now too! Next Tuesday! And one with Education earlier in the morning. @Mangoji I feel you, so terrified!!! Also, I have never used Skype in my life!

A couple of other Skype tips: if it's a video call and you can control the camera positioning, try to make sure it's level with your head or perhaps very slightly higher (e.g. put some books under your laptop on your desk). Looking down at a camera below you tends to make you loom rather over the interviewers on their screen. And try to maintain the body language you'd keep in a face-to-face interview, even with things the interviewers can't see (e.g. your legs)—if you let your lower body slouch, this might come through in your tone of voice.
Hey! I've also just moved to GAO for the MPhil in Criticism and Culture!!!!!! I'm so excited! Check your apps!
Still under review by degree committee for English PhD (Medieval)...
Reply 87
Original post by martaganger
Hey! I've also just moved to GAO for the MPhil in Criticism and Culture!!!!!! I'm so excited! Check your apps!

Congratulations! 🥳🥳
Reply 88

Did you complete the survey too, the email they sent today? Xx
Reply 89

Yay congrats!!

Congratulations!
Any other MPhil Criticism and Culture's heard back?

Congratulations!!! That is fantastic!
Original post by QHF
A couple of other Skype tips: if it's a video call and you can control the camera positioning, try to make sure it's level with your head or perhaps very slightly higher (e.g. put some books under your laptop on your desk). Looking down at a camera below you tends to make you loom rather over the interviewers on their screen. And try to maintain the body language you'd keep in a face-to-face interview, even with things the interviewers can't see (e.g. your legs)—if you let your lower body slouch, this might come through in your tone of voice.

Thank you!! That's very helpful-- especially about putting the computer higher up :smile:
Not yet actually it did give me a minor heart attack this morning x

Original post by Opo221
Did you complete the survey too, the email they sent today? Xx
Reply 94
Not yet actually it did give me a minor heart attack this morning x

Congratulations gurrrl! So happy!! Xx
Congratulations!

Congrats on the GAO @SixteenHundred :smile:

Congratulations!!! This is so exciting!

May I ask what your proposed research project is about? :smile:
Original post by Rosie2020320
Congratulations!!! This is so exciting!

May I ask what your proposed research project is about?

I'll try to not get too excited until I get an official offer, but I was definitely not expecting to hear back!

The proposal itself is a mixture of sound studies, petroculture research and world literature very briefly, it focuses on sound in petrofiction (specifically postcolonial petrofiction), thinking of potential listening practices in relation to oil and using sound to think through the geopolitics and materiality of petroculture. Also exploring oil-defined-spaces as aural environments. I make it sound surprisingly niche yet incredibly gargantuan in my proposal.
In general, I've been more interested lately in thinking about resource extractivism as an epistemological practice, or 'scenes' of reading/writing and materialist approaches, but mainly I intend on working on eco/environmental humanities, sound studies, postcolonial studies and reading/academic/knowing practices.
Reply 98

Congratulations! Does GAO mean an offer? I have just been moved to GAO and I'm so nervous!
Original post by wfcm
Congratulations! Does GAO mean an offer? I have just been moved to GAO and I'm so nervous!

What course are you? GAO normally means an offer is imminent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending