The Student Room Group

Gcse

So I was having a discussion about how I revise with my classmate and he said that he revise 10-30 mins and i revise for like 3-6 hours and he stated that he would rather do “little and often” revision than long hours because it’s Effective. I on the other hand prefer to do long hours of revision and active revision. He also said that “what’s the point of revising when I’m getting the grades I need”.

I just feel like maybe I shouldn’t revise so much like I normally do however I’ve so much to revise like eng lit, I haven’t even finished all of my characters and themes and history as well.

I just feel kinda guilty...
Plus how is my classmate guaranteed if he’s going to achieve 7s in his gcse without revising? I mean is that even possible?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimotheeLaurie
So I was having a discussion about how I revise with my classmate and he said that he revise 10-30 mins and i revise for like 3-6 hours and he stated that he would rather do “little and often” revision than long hours because it’s Effective. I on the other hand prefer to do long hours of revision and active revision. He also said that “what’s the point of revising when I’m getting the grades I need”.

I just feel like maybe I shouldn’t revise so much like I normally do however I’ve so much to revise like eng lit, I haven’t even finished all of my characters and themes and history as well.

Plus how is my classmate guaranteed if he’s going to achieve 7s in his gcse without revising? I mean is that even possible?

Depends how hard he works in class, and how much he can remember off the top of his head/exam technique. Unless you go to a very good/talented school, getting all 7s easily without revising at all is quite hard. No offense to him with that attitude he won’t make it far, A levels and university are built on hard work, no matter how smart you are. I got all 9s at GCSE and struggled at the start with A level. As for revision, do whatever works for you, but remember this there is never such thing as working ‘too hard’ or ‘too much’. I revised 2-3 hours continuously without breaks max. Also I found the GCSE much harder than the mocks, so keep that in mind (might be because my year was the first year of the new syllabus).
Original post by hariisawesome
Depends how hard he works in class, and how much he can remember off the top of his head/exam technique. Unless you go to a very good/talented school, getting all 7s easily without revising at all is quite hard. No offense to him with that attitude he won’t make it far, A levels and university are built on hard work, no matter how smart you are. I got all 9s at GCSE and struggled at the start with A level. As for revision, do whatever works for you, but remember this there is never such thing as working ‘too hard’ or ‘too much’. I revised 2-3 hours continuously without breaks max. Also I found the GCSE much harder than the mocks, so keep that in mind (might be because my year was the first year of the new syllabus).

tbh, he talks to his other mates while doing work however he achieve an 8 in his bio mock and 6 in his second bio mock without revision. Have you ever met anyone who got 8s and 9s without revision at all? also can you tell me how you got all 9s and can i get those grades in 3 months time?
tbh, he talks to his other mates while doing work however he achieve an 8 in his bio mock and 6 in his second bio mock without revision. Have you ever met anyone who got 8s and 9s without revision at all? also can you tell me how you got all 9s and can i get those grades in 3 months time?

Then he’s down playing how much he’s revising.
For example experimental parts of the GCSEs ie sciences takes time to grasp to draw graphs to do calculations to learn equations. That’s not possible in half an hour. He’s lying to make himself look really smart. Those who say I got an A* (9) and I didn’t do any revision apart from the night before and no past papers frankly are liars. If they were that gifted they’d have finished school yonks ago

He’s probably working even harder at home and pretending otherwise
Original post by Dora amos
Then he’s down playing how much he’s revising.
For example experimental parts of the GCSEs ie sciences takes time to grasp to draw graphs to do calculations to learn equations. That’s not possible in half an hour. He’s lying to make himself look really smart. Those who say I got an A* (9) and I didn’t do any revision apart from the night before and no past papers frankly are liars. If they were that gifted they’d have finished school yonks ago

He’s probably working even harder at home and pretending otherwise

why would he be pretending? what is the point/
why would he be pretending? what is the point/

To make himself look clever and smart. So people like you think wow how did he manage that.....

Simply put he wants to look cool and smart and in reality he probably is working the hardest.

People do it all the time it’s something many have admitted to
To make himself look clever and smart. So people like you think wow how did he manage that.....

Simply put he wants to look cool and smart and in reality he probably is working the hardest.

People do it all the time it’s something many have admitted to

ah i see. When i said to my classmates, i revise for 10-12 hours during weekends, they got really shocked and started to judge me. it just made me feel like very discouraged, ya got me?
ah i see. When i said to my classmates, i revise for 10-12 hours during weekends, they got really shocked and started to judge me. it just made me feel like very discouraged, ya got me?

I get you and that’s probably because they aren’t working as hard. Just concentrate on yourself and what you need to do.
People wanna seems cool like they get all their stuff done have time to tan and do makeup and curl hair and run 100 miles a day and still have 15 hours of free time (you get me)
It’s not realistic but people don’t show you the reality.

Many people study for many hours
I studies 9 hours a day on both weekend dates and the reason for that is because I worked full time o studied 5 hours every weekday bar Wednesday (longer days) I think this is a lot but I self taught GCSEs and I spent a lot of money £3000 on exams I tried my very best and maybe worked harder than I should’ve. I got top grades I was on the previous spec and so my point is I could’ve told someone I only worked weekends but I’d have been lying.
No one knows what someone actually does at home unless you live with them. So take their judgement and their I don’t need to revise stories and looks with a pinch of salt - it is not what they are doing that counts it’s what you’re doing.
Don’t let them steer you off course
I get you and that’s probably because they aren’t working as hard. Just concentrate on yourself and what you need to do.
People wanna seems cool like they get all their stuff done have time to tan and do makeup and curl hair and run 100 miles a day and still have 15 hours of free time (you get me)
It’s not realistic but people don’t show you the reality.

Many people study for many hours
I studies 9 hours a day on both weekend dates and the reason for that is because I worked full time o studied 5 hours every weekday bar Wednesday (longer days) I think this is a lot but I self taught GCSEs and I spent a lot of money £3000 on exams I tried my very best and maybe worked harder than I should’ve. I got top grades I was on the previous spec and so my point is I could’ve told someone I only worked weekends but I’d have been lying.
No one knows what someone actually does at home unless you live with them. So take their judgement and their I don’t need to revise stories and looks with a pinch of salt - it is not what they are doing that counts it’s what you’re doing.
Don’t let them steer you off course

Okay. Have you done your GCSEs? If yes, can you tell me what you got if you don’t mind?
Okay. Have you done your GCSEs? If yes, can you tell me what you got if you don’t mind?

I did them yes and I got A* and A grades in all but business which I got CC because I prioritised fire subjects and those needed for medical school
If you’re bright you can easily get 7s at GCSEs without revising, most people can get 7s with a good bit of revision. However, everyone’s individual and here’s where revising to ensure you get good grades matter: some unis WILL look at your GCSEs depending on your course, and you CANNOT get through A levels without revising, even if you get straight 9s at GCSE without revising. What I personally did was revise proper hard for GCSEs, got mostly 9s and a couple of 8s, and then carried on that work ethic through to a levels. A lot of my friends who cruised along with no revision during GCSEs got 6s-8s in their GCSEs but are now on U-D in a levels because they never learnt to revise the way that is best for them. So it’s up to you how much revision you do! If you’re happy doing lots of revision in a big block then go for it, I know that’s what works for me too. If you’re getting burnt out then you can reel it in a bit, there’s not really a right or wrong way to revise. Hope this helps x

As someone who doesn't revise anywhere near enough who achieved 7s and 8s across the board in mocks, I find that it would be very hard to get past the 7s without revising a lot. 7s can often be achieved fairly easily without a ridiculous amount of revision if the person works hard in class.
Original post by Torigracex
If you’re bright you can easily get 7s at GCSEs without revising, most people can get 7s with a good bit of revision. However, everyone’s individual and here’s where revising to ensure you get good grades matter: some unis WILL look at your GCSEs depending on your course, and you CANNOT get through A levels without revising, even if you get straight 9s at GCSE without revising. What I personally did was revise proper hard for GCSEs, got mostly 9s and a couple of 8s, and then carried on that work ethic through to a levels. A lot of my friends who cruised along with no revision during GCSEs got 6s-8s in their GCSEs but are now on U-D in a levels because they never learnt to revise the way that is best for them. So it’s up to you how much revision you do! If you’re happy doing lots of revision in a big block then go for it, I know that’s what works for me too. If you’re getting burnt out then you can reel it in a bit, there’s not really a right or wrong way to revise. Hope this helps x

thank you so much for the help :smile: if you dont mind me asking, how did you achieve 9s and 8s? i could use some tips lol

This was my point sure you could try sailing past but you do yourself an injustice in the end because you struggle at A levels and beyond.
No point sitting in the exam hall for hours if you aren’t going to get anything from it
This was my point sure you could try sailing past but you do yourself an injustice in the end because you struggle at A levels and beyond.
No point sitting in the exam hall for hours if you aren’t going to get anything from it

exactly i thought so.
thank you so much for the help :smile: if you dont mind me asking, how did you achieve 9s and 8s? i could use some tips lol

No problem! From what I remember (I’m in year 13 so it was a good while ago) I made really condensed notes of all my subject content, for sciences I made Q cards of questions for myself based on the notes I’d made and basically went over and over them until I could answer them all by heart, for English lit I wrote down the most important quotes and memorised them on Q cards, for geography I wrote down the most important statistics and facts on Q cards and learnt them, and then most importantly for EVERY subject (apart from German and DT) I did 2-6 practice papers for each subject. Maths I did the most for because I found it the hardest. If you’re feeling strapped for time the practice papers should be a priority as personally I feel that practice at answering real previous GCSE questions is the most beneficial thing to do x
No problem! From what I remember (I’m in year 13 so it was a good while ago) I made really condensed notes of all my subject content, for sciences I made Q cards of questions for myself based on the notes I’d made and basically went over and over them until I could answer them all by heart, for English lit I wrote down the most important quotes and memorised them on Q cards, for geography I wrote down the most important statistics and facts on Q cards and learnt them, and then most importantly for EVERY subject (apart from German and DT) I did 2-6 practice papers for each subject. Maths I did the most for because I found it the hardest. If you’re feeling strapped for time the practice papers should be a priority as personally I feel that practice at answering real previous GCSE questions is the most beneficial thing to do x

should i practice papers now or in april? i havent finished all my notes.

I did the papers early. I started in February and got the information I hadn’t yet covered I just flagged with a sticky note and later I went back and looked at them but when marking I didn’t look at those answers obviously afterwards I had a fair few papers still to go for timed conditions
When marking those and gauging a possible grade I removed them and worked out what the percentage is for certain grades and then worked out the mark. It that’s complex.

You could just do the questions look at the mark scheme and then when it comes to learning the topic or notes it might make more sense

From what I remember I started writing notes a bit before study leave at the start of May, and I know for a fact I did practice papers in the couple of days leading up to each exam. Do what works for you, but I personally found that learning all of the content and then blitzing through loads of questions right before the exam helped me the most x

Hi,

I understand why you're worried but I would concentrate on what works for you. It's true that some people retain information by studying little and often but if revising a lot reduces your stress about exams and makes you feel like it will help you, go for it! There is no one right way to study and there's no need to feel guilty. Everyone learns differently.

Best wishes,
Charlotte

Quick Reply

Latest