The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hatfield College Durham 2020

Hi guys, thought I'd start a thread for those who have been allocated Hatfield College for 2020 entry.

Please do share

- What you have applied to study
- Why you chose Hatfield (if you chose it)
- Whether you are going to the open day (Feb or March)
-Other universities you've applied for

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied for Modern Languages and Cultures (Adv French and Adv German).

I chose Hatfield because it had a great atmosphere when I visited at the open day in September. It seemed so much friendlier than Castle and St John's too and it's location is great.

I'm booked on to the February open day in an effort to cheer me up after my Camb rejection! Durham has always been my fave though.

I've applied to Camb (rejected), Bristol (offer), Southampton for MLang (interview) and Edinburgh (no news yet)!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Just got allocated from Castle to Hatfield to do Maths:biggrin: Slightly worried about shared accommodation!

I'll be going to the open day in February, haven't seen the college yet but it looks really nice in the photos

RN choosing between Durham and Warwick but I'll probably decide based on open days.
does anyone know how likely it is that you share a room?
also has anyone heard about catering there? thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

I think I've read somewhere that only 20% of rooms are sharing
Applied for English lit at Hatfield- just got allocated!

I picked Hatfield as it’s so gorgeous and amazing location. It also seems like really nice people go there and the social side looks amaze :smile:

Not booked into any currently but perhaps March residential.

Offers from St Andrews, Exeter, Bristol and still waiting on Edinburgh
Original post by livgotlost
I think I've read somewhere that only 20% of rooms are sharing

I've seen that as well, but that would mean 1 in 3 would be in shared. I've also read on the Durham website that it's 40%?

It's 3 meals a day every day I think
Yeah I’m concerned about sharing rooms...on one hand I think it would be really fun, especially if you met a good friend but equally it could be horrendous :/ I know the preference forms come out after results in August and ask you whether you are night owl/early bird, music you like etc...all questions which are rather ambiguous, I am both a night owl and early bird- so not sure how I would fill that out !
Reply 10
Applied for Econ, chose Hatfield since I visited it on the open day and thought it was pretty decent. Probably won’t be going to any of the open days and I’ve also applied to Oxford (rejected), Warwick (offer), St Andrews (offer), Loughborough (offer).
Original post by emm09
Hi I applied for Sociology

I put my preference as St.Chads but really happy with Hatfield

I might go for the day in March. I've already been to an open day but I would like to see more of Hatfield and the sociology department

I applied for Warwick, York, Bath and Sheffield and have offers from all, Durham will definitely be my firm though :smile:

Hi I also applied for sociology! Got allocated to Hatfield as well :smile:
Reply 12
Hi, I'm from the US (East Tennessee) and I'm very excited to have received an offer to study at Durham!

- What you have applied to study: History
- Why you chose Hatfield (if you chose it): Centrally located, close to the History Dept, sporty
- Whether you are going to the open day (Feb or March): Yes, residential on March 23rd!
- Other universities you've applied for: Oxford (denied), Edinburgh (offer), York (offer), UCL (still waiting), UC Dublin (offer), Vanderbilt (denied), University of the South (accepted), Texas A&M (accepted), Middle TN State (accepted), University of Richmond (deferred), still waiting to hear from Johns Hopkins, William & Mary, Hillsdale, and Emory.

It is mostly single rooms, but it depends what you put on your preference form. It says that you can't ask for a particular room, but that's not right. If you're genuinely concerned that you'd be unhappy or anxious about sharing, make sure you state that explicitly and it would be highly unlikely that you'd be allocated a shared room.

Having said that, I've only ever know 1 person in each year that moved rooms because they didn't get on with their room mate. So it's super rare, most of the time roommates get along great :-)

3 meals a day, 7 days a week.
You're also allowed to have free (up to £3.50) lunch at DU cafes on the science site, which other colleges aren't. that's very useful if you have a busy day and can't get back to college for lunch.
When there's a formal (Tues/Fri), and you're not attending, you can have free dinner in a different college (Cuths/Castle)
Original post by qwertyuiosd
Just got allocated from Castle to Hatfield to do Maths:biggrin: Slightly worried about shared accommodation!

I'll be going to the open day in February, haven't seen the college yet but it looks really nice in the photos

RN choosing between Durham and Warwick but I'll probably decide based on open days.

if you're worried about shared accommodation, make sure you say so on the preference form and it's very unlikely you'll be allocated shared. it's mostly single rooms, so dw. if you're in a single room, you're in control of whether you want to be social or not.
Original post by Hannajoyyy
Yeah I’m concerned about sharing rooms...on one hand I think it would be really fun, especially if you met a good friend but equally it could be horrendous :/ I know the preference forms come out after results in August and ask you whether you are night owl/early bird, music you like etc...all questions which are rather ambiguous, I am both a night owl and early bird- so not sure how I would fill that out !

if you're genuinely concerned, so say on the preference form (even though it says you can't ask for particular accommodation that's not quite true).
mostly, everyone gets on really well with their roommate, and it's super rare that someone moves rooms.

but... the shared blocks are notorious for being louder, party areas. they're also older and not nearly as nice as the newer blocks. so if you're worried then just tell the college you feel that way. don't leave it to chance.
hello! I have applied to Spanish and Italian and have been allocated to Hatfield, which was my preference anyway. I an really excited for next year now eeee
Original post by livgotlost
Hi guys, thought I'd start a thread for those who have been allocated Hatfield College for 2020 entry.

Please do share

- What you have applied to study
- Why you chose Hatfield (if you chose it)
- Whether you are going to the open day (Feb or March)
-Other universities you've applied for

Hey, I applied for Business & Management.
I chose Hatfield (even though I was thinking of St. Cuths) cuz it seems to have such a nice balance between friendly and historic. Even though its a bit far from the Business School I think the bailey location makes up for it.
They cancelled the open days so going isnt an option anymore haha.
I applied to Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Leeds and Durham. Got offers from all of them, originally planned Durham as a backup but I ended up choosing it as my firm instead.
Original post by HamzaBashar
Hey, I applied for Business & Management.
I chose Hatfield (even though I was thinking of St. Cuths) cuz it seems to have such a nice balance between friendly and historic. Even though its a bit far from the Business School I think the bailey location makes up for it.
They cancelled the open days so going isnt an option anymore haha.
I applied to Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Leeds and Durham. Got offers from all of them, originally planned Durham as a backup but I ended up choosing it as my firm instead.

nice to meet ya!

Quick Reply

Latest