The Student Room Group

HSBC work experience 2020

Has anyone else applied for the HSBC 2020 work experience for yr 11s this Summer? If so what was your experience with the phone interview like?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I did the phone interview about 3 weeks ago and it went well, I passed the phone interview stage and they're still waiting to get back to me about whether I've got in or not, my advice for the interview would be to go over some competencies so, for example, they might ask 'tell me about a time when you had to work collaboratively', so go over that, also, look at the HSBC values on their website - trust me that one's important!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by sophiathesecond
Hi, I did the phone interview about 3 weeks ago and it went well, I passed the phone interview stage and they're still waiting to get back to me about whether I've got in or not, my advice for the interview would be to go over some competencies so, for example, they might ask 'tell me about a time when you had to work collaboratively', so go over that, also, look at the HSBC values on their website - trust me that one's important!

Yep, I'm at the same stage as you then. I have already had my interview and I got that question too. I was also asked about a time I showed resilience. Any idea when we will receive further information?
I'm thinking next week hopefully, the process is so long :/
I'm thinking next week hopefully, the process is so long :/

Agreed, my parents want to book a holiday but we are waiting to hear when this is...
Original post by Narcis
Agreed, my parents want to book a holiday but we are waiting to hear when this

Yeah exactly, it gets in the way of stuff, where are you going on holiday?
I've got lots planned, we are gonna go to Greece, I need to confirm a date for NCS, applied for a taster course at LSE and there's college taster days. Thanks for asking, are you doing anything else in Summer?
Original post by Narcis
I've got lots planned, we are gonna go to Greece, I need to confirm a date for NCS, applied for a taster course at LSE and there's college taster days. Thanks for asking, are you doing anything else in Summer?

Nice, never been to Greece, but I'd love to go one day, I'm doing NCS too, for the first 4 weeks of summer, then I'm doing my Gold DofE and then I have some other work experiences lined up too, and by that time it will be results day - scary!
Nice, never been to Greece, but I'd love to go one day, I'm doing NCS too, for the first 4 weeks of summer, then I'm doing my Gold DofE and then I have some other work experiences lined up too, and by that time it will be results day - scary!

Exciting, sounds like you are very busy this summer. I looked into the DofE but it seems a very long process. Very scary! Results day is probably the most influential day I will have at that point in my life.
Reply 9
Which locations have you guys applied for?
Original post by Revan321
Which locations have you guys applied for?

I applied to South, East and North London, they are the closest to me. What about you?
I put Central, West and South London repectively
Original post by Narcis
Exciting, sounds like you are very busy this summer. I looked into the DofE but it seems a very long process. Very scary! Results day is probably the most influential day I will have at that point in my life.

DofE is long, I definitely agree, but I did Bronze with my school and it was loads of fun, so doing Gold with my friends should be fun too, I definitely recommend it!

Hey, I have done the interview as well and it was successful. Have you got a response yet?
Original post by kelvin_certi
Hey, I have done the interview as well and it was successful. Have you got a response yet?

I got an email on the 15th January saying g congratulations you met the interview benchmark, then on the 7th February I got an email not saying much except its still in progress. Haven't heard anything since
Original post by Narcis
I got an email on the 15th January saying g congratulations you met the interview benchmark, then on the 7th February I got an email not saying much except its still in progress. Haven't heard anything since

Same, I'm worried because my work experience form deadline is next week :/ fingers crossed we both get in
Same, I'm worried because my work experience form deadline is next week :/ fingers crossed we both get in

Yepp! We've come this far. If you are on a time constraint it might not be a bad idea to email them

Hey, yeah they said I was successful with the interview, and then last week or the week before they told me they were still processing the applications and talking with their managers or something, so basically they're taking ages to think about it, hopefully we find out soon :smile:
I've emailed them asking about when we can expect to hear more news, and beyond the vague response: latest we will have everything at the end of March.
Is this the 'Work Experience Programme 2020'? Trying to apply right now and have got to the Work Experience and Education section but it's the only options are universities which I obviously haven't been to yet and professional jobs that you have been at for multiple years - it is definitely the A-Level programme so am so confused on how to get past this step. Any help would be great!

Quick Reply

Latest