The Student Room Group

anorexia and exams

Potential TW:

So i'm starting to sit my mocks for my a levels right now, and i'm a little bit worried about them.
I have anorexia and because of this it means I'm always cold and shivering, and the exam hall where we're supposed to sit our exams at my college is absolutely freezing, generally, but more so for me.

I'm really worried about how the cold in the exam hall will affect my exams as I have a huge problem with focusing when I'm cold and will just sit there shaking and shivering, unable to write.

I was wondering if anybody knows if there's a way I could sit my exams in another room on my own? I think it'll really affect my exams and I don't know what to do.

I want to approach my exams officer about it but if it's a pointless question I don't want to make a fool of myself. I am also not public about my anorexia so I don't really want to explain that's the reason why, although I generally have poor circulation which makes me cold so I could use that instead?

I mentioned it to my tutor and she said she wasn't sure unless I had a medical problem, but I do, I'm just not willing to admit the real reason.

If I cant be in another room is there anything I could do? Anyone with any knowledge or experience of this please help me out!
Reply 1
You need to have medical evidence of what's going on for you. If you're being seen by an eating disorder service they'd be able to provide you with evidence, speak with them.
Original post by Anonymous
Potential TW:

So i'm starting to sit my mocks for my a levels right now, and i'm a little bit worried about them.
I have anorexia and because of this it means I'm always cold and shivering, and the exam hall where we're supposed to sit our exams at my college is absolutely freezing, generally, but more so for me.

I'm really worried about how the cold in the exam hall will affect my exams as I have a huge problem with focusing when I'm cold and will just sit there shaking and shivering, unable to write.

I was wondering if anybody knows if there's a way I could sit my exams in another room on my own? I think it'll really affect my exams and I don't know what to do.

I want to approach my exams officer about it but if it's a pointless question I don't want to make a fool of myself. I am also not public about my anorexia so I don't really want to explain that's the reason why, although I generally have poor circulation which makes me cold so I could use that instead?

I mentioned it to my tutor and she said she wasn't sure unless I had a medical problem, but I do, I'm just not willing to admit the real reason.

If I cant be in another room is there anything I could do? Anyone with any knowledge or experience of this please help me out!

Don't you have a school counsellor or someone to talk to in school about this over your tutor who doesn't sound very sympathetic? You can also talk to your exams officer about it in confidence, it's not a pointless question and they may be able to help. Maybe you would be allowed to leave your coat on in the exam hall for example, or in the school where I work, people with a wide range of additional needs sit their exams in a different room. The main thing is, the school can't help you if they don't know so you need to tell someone sympathetic - try your head of sixth form maybe or a favourite teacher and ask them to find out for you what can be done to help you. Or ask a parent to contact your head of year or exams officer on your behalf :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest