The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

2020 Cambridge PhD in Education

Scroll to see replies

Hi jillybean!Thanks for sharing your story with me - it certainly sounds like a roller coaster to me. Its difficult to thoroughly understand your feeling but I’m keep my fingers crossed for you and I hope you will receive a decision that suits you the best. I guess we should all just take it easy for a bit as we have already done the best we can for the application. I actually had an interview with my potential supervisor this week and currently still under departmental review. Not sure what it will come next but at least it’s a bit of a progress.I saw in another discussion saying that some departments interview applicants for the purpose of ranking them for funding. Anyone knows whether this also applies in the Edu faculty?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by EduEnthusiast
Hi jillybean!Thanks for sharing your story with me - it certainly sounds like a roller coaster to me. Its difficult to thoroughly understand your feeling but I’m keep my fingers crossed for you and I hope you will receive a decision that suits you the best. I guess we should all just take it easy for a bit as we have already done the best we can for the application. I actually had an interview with my potential supervisor this week and currently still under departmental review. Not sure what it will come next but at least it’s a bit of a progress.I saw in another discussion saying that some departments interview applicants for the purpose of ranking them for funding. Anyone knows whether this also applies in the Edu faculty?

Yes and no. The interview/application is scored by the potential supervisor, and that score is the basis for funding ranking (along with previous academic work and references). So it's necessary for funding (unless you already know your supervisor or something and they don't feel they need an interview to score your application), but doesn't automatically mean that you will receive funding, or rank highly.
Reply 62
Original post by Kenansadhu
Hey congratulations! From what people are saying, you're basically accepted, right? It's great to see any movement in the application process. Please let us know when you got an offer!

I've just received my conditional offer for the MPhil! Best of luck to you!
Original post by Mav1234

Congrats!!! That is wonderful!

Is anyone taking it easy? :smile: From what I understand, EDU sends basically everyone on for funding consideration depending on their strand. But no certainties from me.
Reply 64
Original post by Mav1234

Congrats!!!
Yeah, basically the same timeline for me (I submitted it a day before the funding deadline). Still stuck on department review. Good luck to you too!

My status was just changed to GAO today, think they are still in the process of changing the admission status. Best of luck to you!!
Hi everyone,

Congrats to those who recently made progress on their applications! Wishing you the best of luck.

I was looking for some advice. I applied for MPhil Education, Globalisation and International Development and had a Skype Interview on Jan 22nd with the Program Co-ordinator. However, I have not heard back and am still stuck at Under Review by Department. It seems that most Ed applicants have heard back and many did not even have an interview. Should I be preparing for the worst now?
Original post by haha126
Congrats!!!

My status was just changed to GAO today, think they are still in the process of changing the admission status. Best of luck to you!!

Thanks! Let me know also later when you got the offer 🙂
Original post by alinanoon
Hi everyone,

Congrats to those who recently made progress on their applications! Wishing you the best of luck.

I was looking for some advice. I applied for MPhil Education, Globalisation and International Development and had a Skype Interview on Jan 22nd with the Program Co-ordinator. However, I have not heard back and am still stuck at Under Review by Department. It seems that most Ed applicants have heard back and many did not even have an interview. Should I be preparing for the worst now?

Hey!

Again Ed Faculty can be slow! It could be that your program co-ordinator is still weighing the applicants. They release decisions sporadically so optimistically waiting is the way to go at the moment.
Original post by parallax_methods
Hey!

Again Ed Faculty can be slow! It could be that your program co-ordinator is still weighing the applicants. They release decisions sporadically so optimistically waiting is the way to go at the moment.

Thanks for the encouragement! Any idea of how long the wait could be?
Howdy folks...

Can anyone help me figure out what exactly the coursework looks like for the MPhil in Children's Lit? I know that sounds silly, but all I can find on the Cam site is a set of modules. My funding source has asked for a specific list of coursework. Are modules like classes? I'm struggling to translate the UK program into US terminology. And frankly, I'm starting to feel like I have lost my mind.
Original post by jillybean06
Howdy folks...

Can anyone help me figure out what exactly the coursework looks like for the MPhil in Children's Lit? I know that sounds silly, but all I can find on the Cam site is a set of modules. My funding source has asked for a specific list of coursework. Are modules like classes? I'm struggling to translate the UK program into US terminology. And frankly, I'm starting to feel like I have lost my mind.

You are very unlikely to find a list that goes

Mon 12 Oct Lecture 1 The History of the Children's storybook
Mon 19 Oct Lecture 2 The Victorian creation of 'childhood'
etc

If that's what your funders require. My current MPhil didn't even manage to do that the week before lectures started!

If that's what you need, then you need to ask the Departmental Administrator for the lecture lists for this academic year, and then submit those under the caveat that there might be some changes of options proposed next year.
Original post by threeportdrift
You are very unlikely to find a list that goes

Mon 12 Oct Lecture 1 The History of the Children's storybook
Mon 19 Oct Lecture 2 The Victorian creation of 'childhood'
etc

If that's what your funders require. My current MPhil didn't even manage to do that the week before lectures started!

If that's what you need, then you need to ask the Departmental Administrator for the lecture lists for this academic year, and then submit those under the caveat that there might be some changes of options proposed next year.

Thanks! You had answered my same question on the Cam Postgrad thread (sorry to have double posted) and I ended up basically explaining it on the funding forms along with last year’s as an example. I really appreciate the info!
I have an interview! I'm petrified! If you're still waiting, it's not over! haha!
Original post by jillybean06
I have an interview! I'm petrified! If you're still waiting, it's not over! haha!

That's great to hear :smile: Is it for the PhD in Education programme? or the English one? :smile:
That's great to hear :smile: Is it for the PhD in Education programme? or the English one? :smile:

Both, Education MPhil in the morning and English PhD a little later (I need both)! I got both emails as soon as I got in to work today. Trying to set up a Skype account now!

Anyone know what sorts of things they ask?
Reply 75
Thanks! Let me know also later when you got the offer 🙂

Hi I've just got my con offer. Now struggling with my IELTS test...Best of luck!
Original post by haha126
Hi I've just got my con offer. Now struggling with my IELTS test...Best of luck!

You can do it! The most difficult part to get a good score is usually the writing part. But since your English is good enough for you to complete the written task, then you shouldn't worry too much! Practice, do a mock test, and I'm sure you'll make it!
Reply 77
You can do it! The most difficult part to get a good score is usually the writing part. But since your English is good enough for you to complete the written task, then you shouldn't worry too much! Practice, do a mock test, and I'm sure you'll make it!

Thank you so much for sharing the experience! I'm still waiting for the scholarship news, as I applied for the Chevening 2020/2021. Hope everything goes well...and also looking forward to hearing good new from you!
Original post by haha126
Thank you so much for sharing the experience! I'm still waiting for the scholarship news, as I applied for the Chevening 2020/2021. Hope everything goes well...and also looking forward to hearing good new from you!

That's great! Have you gotten to the Chevening interview stage yet?
I made it to GAO! Don't think I'll believe it till I get an official offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending