The Student Room Group

2:1 grad scheme requirement

Hey,

So I currently hold a 2:1 grad scheme job offer from a UK bank. I averaged just over 56% in second year so need to do well this year to get my 2:1. My January exams were mixed, two went well but one of them was awful, I haven’t got my results yet but it’s making me worried I might not meet the requirement.

Does anyone know how likely companies are to be flexible on this? I’m hoping if I do miss out it will only be by a narrow margin so wondered if that may work in my favour?

Any shared similar experiences or opinions appreciated!

Thanks.
Original post by AidanP96
Hey,

So I currently hold a 2:1 grad scheme job offer from a UK bank. I averaged just over 56% in second year so need to do well this year to get my 2:1. My January exams were mixed, two went well but one of them was awful, I haven’t got my results yet but it’s making me worried I might not meet the requirement.

Does anyone know how likely companies are to be flexible on this? I’m hoping if I do miss out it will only be by a narrow margin so wondered if that may work in my favour?

Thanks.

You are grasping at straws and only the bank can tell you as its their discretion.
Do your best and see.
They may not wish to recruit again or they may have overrecruited for this situation.
They may be slowing recruitment down in which case they its an easy no or they may want more in which case they may keep you.
Youve done the hard part in getting the offer so you owe it to yourself to work as hard as possible to avoid giving them the opportunity to say no.

I have known people who were let through and also known people who were let go. Focus on your exams.
You may wish to contact the bank and build some rapport with those who chose you without letting them know up to you.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You are grasping at straws and only the bank can tell you as its their discretion.
Do your best and see.
They may not wish to recruit again or they may have overrecruited for this situation.
They may be slowing recruitment down in which case they its an easy no or they may want more in which case they may keep you.
Youve done the hard part in getting the offer so you owe it to yourself to work as hard as possible to avoid giving them the opportunity to say no.

I have known people who were let through and also known people who were let go. Focus on your exams.
You may wish to contact the bank and build some rapport with those who chose you without letting them know up to you.

Thanks, I still have most of my final year mark in my hands so it is doable. Just hard not to think about every possibility under the pressure. Will just have to put the hours in starting now.
Someone at my work is at KPMG doing the consulting graduate scheme (they only hired 2 in my office) and he got a 2:2, despite the offer being for 2:1 only. They didn’t actually end up asking him for his transcript...
It's very unlikely that bank will let you off. I know someone who had an offer from a large consultancy, got like 1% below her 2:1 and had her offer retracted.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AidanP96
Hey,

Thanks.

Hi, what was the outcome of this, I am stuck in a similar situation.
Reply 6
Original post by green2312
Hi, what was the outcome of this, I am stuck in a similar situation.

Hey! I ended up getting the 2:1 and took the job thankfully. They did ask for a scan of my degree certificate so I think the 2:1 requirement was non negotiable. I honestly just had to get on with it and worked way harder than I had done in my first two years. Was also helped by the switch to online exams if I’m honest but I ended up getting 66% overall so I like to think I’d have scraped by anyway. Good luck, I’m sure you can do it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending