The Student Room Group

I work 50 hours a week and I'm predicted a 1st class honours, ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Wow.

That must be one terrible degree course.

Spoiler

I believe him. A lot of unis have massively ramped up their proportion of firsts - Wolverhampton for example now awards 400% more firsts than it did just 10 years ago, and uni of surrey now awards firsts to 45% of its students. I think you'd be massively naive to somehow think the amount of work required has stayed the same during this period!

I never claimed that I believed that the quality of work needed stayed the same, I'm just going by personal experience. As someone that's also working toward a first class degree, I'd barely manage to work 15 hours a week and still scrape a first.
Original post by Anonymous
I'd be more impressed if you could do the same with a proper degree subject; like physics or biochemistry

Give the person some respect. Just because theyre not doing a science degree doesn't mean that its any less of a degree. Im studying a science degree at the moment but that doesnt mean Im going to be an absolute t*at about it.

Anyway MonstrouJoys props to you for being on track for a first and holding down a job. I wish you all the best in your future.
Props to you man if true, any degree would be difficult to manage alongside those hours.
Original post by MidgetFever
I never claimed that I believed that the quality of work needed stayed the same, I'm just going by personal experience. As someone that's also working toward a first class degree, I'd barely manage to work 15 hours a week and still scrape a first.

Yeah exactly. Different uni, different subject, different expectations for getting a first.
Original post by MonstrousJoys
See loads of little posts about having part time jobs at university,

Well, I work 50 hours a week in a managerial role, restaurant manager. I start at 12, finish at 1,2 am sometimes and have to be up for uni the next morning. I work 5 days a week. I'm predicted a 1st class honours and I'm in my final semester.

Ask me anything you like about my social life, balancing my workloads, having some me time, researching. Anything.😊

This is really impressive.

Did you start working before your degree?
Do you have like a timetable?
Do you have a social life, like weekly or is it monthly?
What uni did you attend?

You must be proud of yourself :smile:
Give the person some respect. Just because theyre not doing a science degree doesn't mean that its any less of a degree. Im studying a science degree at the moment but that doesnt mean Im going to be an absolute t*at about it.

Anyway MonstrouJoys props to you for being on track for a first and holding down a job. I wish you all the best in your future.

Haha sorry if I'm not impressed when I do almost the same work hours and in a harder degree subject
😂😂😂 Why are some of you so rude? STEM degrees are not above any other subjects. I'd love to see someone who's doing a maths or science degree to do law, medicine or nursing.
😂😂😂 Why are some of you so rude? STEM degrees are not above any other subjects. I'd love to see someone who's doing a maths or science degree to do law, medicine or nursing.

Law and nursing easy as piss
Medicine perhaps a bit more challenging but considering I'm doing biochemistry anyway not much difference
Do you do all that so you can boast? Genuine question. I'm on track for a 1st and work too, not as many hours but I still feel like i'm not doing anything really. Clearly you feel the same way since you need to boast to fill the void.
Medicine perhaps a bit more challenging but considering I'm doing biochemistry anyway not much difference

Less people get a 1st in law than STEM subjects so it would seem vice versa.
Original post by tashkent46
Less people get a 1st in law than STEM subjects so it would seem vice versa.

Probably more due to the subjectivity of law rather than inherent conceptual difficulty. I doubt anything in law approaches anything in physical chemistry or physics in sheer conceptual complexity
how much do you make, thats all i wanna know really
Probably more due to the subjectivity of law rather than inherent conceptual difficulty. I doubt anything in law approaches anything in physical chemistry or physics in sheer conceptual complexity

The subjectivity of laws more an illusion than a reality, yes there are philosophical discussions which have inherently subjective elements but the same applies to discussions in physics about theoretical concepts which we may not have experimental data for (so for example philosophical discussions of physics prior to relativity like the Michelson-Morley experiment). Law has many objective considerations, for example when discussing statute law and previous case law sometimes there is a clear precedent and if you do not know that then you do not know the law.

Where there is subjectivity in the law that can make it more complicated, because there is no 'correct' answer the job of a judge to decide whether say, an 'accident' was 'caused' by a series of events can be difficult to ascertain. So should an employer dealing with hazardous substances that were not illegal but were known to have been hazardous be liable for damages caused by their employees vicariously?

Then students would beg to differ and biochem is also easy as piss with most students in my uni going out every night and still averaging firsts.
Ground yourself and give yourself a reality check 😂😂😂.
Biochem is for students who can't get in to medicine.
From 12 - 1/2 do you literally just sit at the desk
Then students would beg to differ and biochem is also easy as piss with most students in my uni going out every night and still averaging firsts.
Ground yourself and give yourself a reality check 😂😂😂.
Biochem is for students who can't get in to medicine.

Do they work 45 hours a week and study mechanics too and still get firsts on top of going out every night?
Biomed is for failed medics, I choose biochem because **** working with the public

Have you studied either a law or nursing degree?
To sit there and say they're 'easy as piss' with no first hand experience is a pretty bold statement, and one that holds little validity.
To sit there and say they're 'easy as piss' with no first hand experience is a pretty bold statement, and one that holds little validity.

As a law student we tend to do things like ask for expert witnesses rather than dismiss statements out of hand. But my subject is a piece of piss so he probably knows that.
Original post by tashkent46
As a law student we tend to do things like ask for expert witnesses rather than dismiss statements out of hand. But my subject is a piece of piss so he probably knows that.

:lol:
If law was as easy as this chump is making it out to be, I could have saved myself a lot of unnecessary stress.

I work alongside nurses in my job and half of the stuff theyre supposed to do we end up doing. Once you get past all the emotional stuff there's nothing too conceptually difficult about being a nurse. As for law, I have no doubt it has its own challenges, but deciding the law on individual cases still doesn't compare to the conceptual difficulty of concepts found in sciences

Quick Reply