The Student Room Group

University: do you make friends on your course?

I'm first year, been at uni 4 months.
I really enjoy my course but I find there isn't really an opportunity to make friends with people on it. We have 5 lectures but people sit with people they're already friends with and leave immediately after the lectures finish.

So do people usually make friends with people on their course? Or is this just a first year thing because we only have lectures?
Original post by Anonymous
I really enjoy my course but I find there isn't really an opportunity to make friends with people on it. We have 5 lectures but people sit with people they're already friends with and leave immediately after the lectures finish.

So do people usually make friends with people on their course? Or is this just a first year thing because we only have lectures?

I’m friends with very few people in my lectures and I don’t even go out with them in my free time. My flat mates are my friends. I couldn’t tell you most of their names and there’s only approximately 48 of us on my course.

Just try sparking a conversation with someone by saying to them that you don’t understand something relating to your work and whether they could explain it to you (even if you do get it).
Reply 2
Original post by Nannonorange
I’m friends with very few people in my lectures and I don’t even go out with them in my free time. My flat mates are my friends. I couldn’t tell you most of their names and there’s only approximately 48 of us on my course.

Just try sparking a conversation with someone by saying to them that you don’t understand something relating to your work and whether they could explain it to you (even if you do get it).

Yeah similar for me. Would you say it's representative for most people?

I haven't. You don't have to but it would be nice since you are with them the most.
I can say, I did make friends with the people on my course during my college years, for sure and my life went so smoothly.
My life right now isn't going so smoothly because I don't have friends on my course either outside of it.
You're in 1st year so take any opportunities they offer.
Yeah I have friends on my course but through introduction weeks and events where we got to chat. Didn’t make any in lectures though or seminars either
Reply 5
I haven't. You don't have to but it would be nice since you are with them the most.
I can say, I did make friends with the people on my course during my college years, for sure and my life went so smoothly.
My life right now isn't going so smoothly because I don't have friends on my course either outside of it.
You're in 1st year so take any opportunities they offer.

Ah sorry to hear that. Hope it works out
I have some acquaintances in my seminar classes, I'd like to turn some of them into friendships but I don't know how. The problem is that they all have their own proper friends outside of class, so whenever I see them around I'm afraid to approach them and if I text them I feel like I'm being annoying. It gets me down but I feel like the phase when everyone is willing and open to making new friends has passed, because most people have their own group by now.
Reply 7
Most of friends are from my course. What I would say is that groups tend to form very early on and quickly become closed off to outsiders
Reply 8
Original post by pearlgrey
I have some acquaintances in my seminar classes, I'd like to turn some of them into friendships but I don't know how. The problem is that they all have their own proper friends outside of class, so whenever I see them around I'm afraid to approach them and if I text them I feel like I'm being annoying. It gets me down but I feel like the phase when everyone is willing and open to making new friends has passed, because most people have their own group by now.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah I feel the same- it's too weird to just sit with a random, already-made friendship group and try and join in. It doesn't work. But I was wondering if it was possible.
I think it depends on your course, people with more contact hours and lab work etc will make friends more easily, whereas for people like you and me with fewer lectures it's harder :/ I've got three not very close friends on my course (we met during freshers) and my boyfriend, that's it

It's much easier to meet people through halls or societies :h:

Quick Reply

Latest