The Student Room Group

a man was taking photos of me on the bus, what should I do?

so I was on the bus and this man got on. he looked kind of rough and he wasn't someone you'd want to get involved with. I'm sitting down on the front seats at the bottom of the bus. there's not lots of people there. this man starts full on staring and smirking at me. I have my legs crossed and I'm wearing a skirt. he gets out his phone and, not even trying to hide it, starts, by the looks of it, filming me. his body is towards the window and his camera is facing me and he's smiling. I don't know what to do so I put my face down and use my phone reflection to see what he's doing. he's still filming me, then he stops and looks at his phone, types something and starts filming me again but he puts his phone lower this time. I uncross my legs and pull my skirt down and look at him and he has the audacity to wink at me. he then starts filming again how he was doing it the first time so I put my head down again. it's my stop and I'm literally shaking. I get up, he watches my every move, grinning, and I walk around him and quickly get off the bus, praying he doesn't follow me. he thankfully stays on the bus. I literally couldn't walk properly, my legs were shaking, I was so scared. I don't know what to do, or what should I have done? on the bus there was only a woman with a pram and an old man sitting behind me. I would never have the guts to tell them to be honest. should I have filmed him back ? I can't report him because the bus we were on doesn't have cameras.

Thankyou!!
also, what would you have done?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
unless he was upskirting you i don't think legally there is anything you can do

i would have either got off the bus/moved or confronted him
Challenge him to a game of Mario Kart Wii. If he wins he keeps the video. I’f you win he deletes it.
Reply 3
Firstly, he was in the wrong filming you. That's not your fault.

As for what you could have done, the bus driver is a good bet rather than dragging in random members of the public, especially as you were at the front on the bottom deck. Moving away would be an option too, as he would then have to draw more attention to himself if he wanted to continue.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Challenge him to a game of Mario Kart Wii. If he wins he keeps the video. I’f you win he deletes it.

amazing advice 😂
Original post by ThomH97
Firstly, he was in the wrong filming you. That's not your fault.

As for what you could have done, the bus driver is a good bet rather than dragging in random members of the public, especially as you were at the front on the bottom deck. Moving away would be an option too, as he would then have to draw more attention to himself if he wanted to continue.

yeah I guess so. I just got really nervous and didn't know what to do
Gross, happened to my ex as well.

Report it anyway, you don't need CCTV to make a complaint, they may well know who he is and a description on file may well help others.
Original post by SmartUnicorn
so I was on the bus and this man got on. he looked kind of rough and he wasn't someone you'd want to get involved with. I'm sitting down on the front seats at the bottom of the bus. there's not lots of people there. this man starts full on staring and smirking at me. I have my legs crossed and I'm wearing a skirt. he gets out his phone and, not even trying to hide it, starts, by the looks of it, filming me. his body is towards the window and his camera is facing me and he's smiling. I don't know what to do so I put my face down and use my phone reflection to see what he's doing. he's still filming me, then he stops and looks at his phone, types something and starts filming me again but he puts his phone lower this time. I uncross my legs and pull my skirt down and look at him and he has the audacity to wink at me. he then starts filming again how he was doing it the first time so I put my head down again. it's my stop and I'm literally shaking. I get up, he watches my every move, grinning, and I walk around him and quickly get off the bus, praying he doesn't follow me. he thankfully stays on the bus. I literally couldn't walk properly, my legs were shaking, I was so scared. I don't know what to do, or what should I have done? on the bus there was only a woman with a pram and an old man sitting behind me. I would never have the guts to tell them to be honest. should I have filmed him back ? I can't report him because the bus we were on doesn't have cameras.

Thankyou!!

The law is very simple. You are allowed to photograph or film people in public places, whether they like it or not. So unless he was trying to take a picture up your skirt, or similarly, then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Original post by heermeet
x

Original post by David Getling
The law is very simple. You are allowed to photograph or film people in public places, whether they like it or not. So unless he was trying to take a picture up your skirt, or similarly, then there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Disagree strongly.

true by law, but what do you suggest I should have done? :smile:
Original post by Delusion6

lmaoo
Original post by StriderHort
Gross, happened to my ex as well.

Report it anyway, you don't need CCTV to make a complaint, they may well know who he is and a description on file may well help others.

okay, thanks !
Reply 13
I am sorry that you had to experience this. No female should feel insecure when going about their daily life.

Thankyou!!

report it to the police and bus company even if there wasn't any cameras and talk to someone about it

Thankyou!!

No worries, now you're a celebrity
Twat him over the head with your largest copy of the Oxford English Dictionary.

On a serious note I'm really sad to read this and sorry that you went through it :frown:
The law is very simple.

I just read this and already knew your post is wrong... The law isn't simple..
Unlike you, I check my facts. I am right and you are wrong.

You seem to have missed the bit where the OP described Upskirting pretty clearly? You essentially sneered "You can't do anything about it unless it's the exact situation you've described" :rolleyes:
Unlike you, I check my facts. I am right and you are wrong.

Where did you get your criminal law degree from? Have you been practicing long?

Quick Reply

Latest