The Student Room Group

What is the Duke of Edinburg?

Hi, I just wanted to know what is this about and how am I aupposed to do it if I do it. I ve heard you gotta do volounteering, which I ve already done. I'd like some insight on the programme. I have half a year to do any of it, I ve heard something about gold being longer, so what do you recommend? Do universities take it into account?
Reply 1
Original post by wherethemangoos
Hi, I just wanted to know what is this about and how am I aupposed to do it if I do it. I ve heard you gotta do volounteering, which I ve already done. I'd like some insight on the programme. I have half a year to do any of it, I ve heard something about gold being longer, so what do you recommend? Do universities take it into account?

Google the Duke of Edinburgh award, the website will tell you everything
It is very good and useful. I would recommend it. I did it through my guides( Girlguiding). But I am sure uni would take it into account!!!

Your whole post reeks of 'is it something I can do to get more CV points for a university application'. If this is the case, I strongly advise you not to proceed with it. Unis don't give a stuff about it - the only reason to do it is because you want to do it, and think you will enjoy the challenge.
Original post by Reality Check
Your whole post reeks of 'is it something I can do to get more CV points for a university application'. If this is the case, I strongly advise you not to proceed with it. Unis don't give a stuff about it - the only reason to do it is because you want to do it, and think you will enjoy the challenge.

Haha thx, but since Im enhancing voluntary work because I love helping people, specially stray dogs, and I want to get some work experience, as well as do some new stuff, I thought I might use this to my advantage.
Original post by veronaaimee15
It is very good and useful. I would recommend it. I did it through my guides( Girlguiding). But I am sure uni would take it into account!!!

What do you mean by "guides". Sorry Im at a lost. :frown:
Haha thx, but since Im enhancing voluntary work because I love helping people, specially stray dogs, and I want to get some work experience, as well as do some new stuff, I thought I might use this to my advantage.

:smile:

Have you volunteered with the Dogs Trust or a local animal shelter? I'm guessing you probably have...
Original post by Reality Check
:smile:

Have you volunteered with the Dogs Trust or a local animal shelter? I'm guessing you probably have...

Yeah, I have. :smile:
Reply 8

That's not how this works.

How old are you and where are you (roughly)?
Original post by Drewski
That's not how this works.

How old are you and where are you (roughly)?

I am 16 years old and I live in Spain.
I am 16 years old and I live in Spain.

It's a UK-based scheme, I don't think you can get involved.
Original post by Drewski
It's a UK-based scheme, I don't think you can get involved.

There are literally millions of people doing it around the world in many countries. I know people here who are doing the "golden" one.
There are literally millions of people doing it around the world in many countries. I know people here who are doing the "golden" one.

https://www.dofe.org/

So why waste our time asking about it if you already know?
What do you mean by "guides". Sorry Im at a lost. :frown:

Its girlguiding.

Don't do it; it has changed since it began and tends to be a 'tick-box' these says - universities aren't looking for it specifically. Choose your own volunteering; this is much more valuable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending